PDA

View Full Version : Press release - Tour dates and stage form

Jud
08-18-2003, 08:12 AM
Superstar Shania Twain Announces First Round of Tour Dates For One of the Most Highly Anticipated Tours of the Year
Monday August 18, 8:03 am ET

NASHVILLE, Aug. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Music superstar Shania Twain is set to embark on the UP! Tour, her first worldwide concert tour in over three years. The tour begins in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on September 25th, and continues through mid-December. Twain has announced an initial schedule of 18 dates in both the United States and Canada. Tickets for the Canadian dates will go on sale Friday, August 22nd. The U.S. tickets will go on sale Saturday, August 23rd with Uniondale, NY and New York City on sale Monday, August 25th.
Over one million fans attended Twain's last North American tour, which proved to be one of the most successful tours of 1998/1999. The UP! Tour promises nothing less. The audience should expect many of Twain's mega-hits such as "Man! I Feel Like A Woman," "That Don't Impress Me Much" and "You're Still The One," as well as her new classics, "I'm Gonna Getcha Good!" and "Forever and For Always." Known for her high-energy and outrageous performances, Twain promises a show like no other.

"I want the show to be a huge party! The stage will be set up in a way that puts me in the middle of my fans, which is right where I want to be. You can expect a lot of surprises," exclaims Twain.

Shania Twain is riding the wave of her enormously successful release "UP!," which debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 Chart and has sold over 9 million copies worldwide to date. Twain's previous album "Come On Over" is the most successful female solo album of all time with worldwide sales over 34 million.

On August 19, NBC Television Network will air "Shania Twain Up! Live in Chicago," her official return to the stage taped in Chicago's Grant Park in front of over 50,000 fans.

More U.S. and Canadian dates will be announced shortly.

SHANIA TWAIN UP! TOUR DATES

September 25 Hamilton, ON Copps Coliseum
September 27 Ottawa, ON Corel Center
September 29 Pittsburgh, PA Mellon Center
September 30 Buffalo, NY HSBC Arena
October 2 Toronto, ON Air Canada Center
October 4 Grand Rapids, MI Van Andel Arena
October 7 Boston, MA Fleet Center
October 8 East Rutherford, NJ Continental Airlines Arena
October 10 Philadelphia, PA First Union Center
October 11 Albany, NY Pepsi Arena
October 12 Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum
October 14 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
October 17 Washington, D.C. MCI Center
October 24 Detroit, MI Palace of Auburn Hills
October 28 St. Paul, MN Xcel Arena
December 4 Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome
December 5 Edmonton, AB Skyreach Center
December 7 Vancouver, BC TBD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Mercury Records

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030818/lam014_1.html

AngelGuy
08-18-2003, 08:41 AM
Thank you for posting this. Now we know that her shows will be in the round.

Which leads me to wonder about the kind of tickets to get for her show. I've heard that when the stage is in the round, that floor seats aren't always the best seats to get. In the round stages are sometimes set higher off the ground, so front row seats might not be worth it.

I saw Def Leppard in the round years ago and I had mid-level seats, and they were pretty good as far as viewing the stage. I wasn't near the stage, but at least I could see everything.

I'll be ordering tickets online tomorrow morning, but now I'm not sure what kind to get. What kind of tickets is everyone else getting?

:confused:

Roger
08-18-2003, 08:53 AM
Thanx for brining this to our attention Jud. Still no mention of Las Vegas.

Basically I like the idea of a round stage in the centre of the arena. This strikes me as much fairer overall. When the stage is at one end of the floor the lucky few at that end of the floor get a wonderful view but too many people are sitting at the far end of the floor or, worse, up top at the far end, and from these vantage points Shania is just a tiny figure a long way off. With stage in the middle more people get close to Shania. They spend less time close to Shania than those lucky people who had front seats when the stage was at the end of the floor but that is made up for by having Shania close to a larger number of people.

So what are the best seats to have? I have no idea. But I am happy that for more people the view will be better than before.

Roger

tankandmaddie
08-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Uniondale on the 12th? I thought it was Long Island.

cbspock
08-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by tankandmaddie
Uniondale on the 12th? I thought it was Long Island.

That is on Long Island. That is the town with the Nassau Coliseum.

I am going to that one, and MSG, and NJ. It should be interesting how they are going to set this up, with a round stage, or putting the stage in the middle of the arena.

-Chris

cbspock
08-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Roger

Basically I like the idea of a round stage in the centre of the arena. This strikes me as much fairer overall. When the stage is at one end of the floor the lucky few at that end of the floor get a wonderful view but too many people are sitting at the far end of the floor or, worse, up top at the far end, and from these vantage points Shania is just a tiny figure a long way off. With stage in the middle more people get close to Shania. They spend less time close to Shania than those lucky people who had front seats when the stage was at the end of the floor but that is made up for by having Shania close to a larger number of people.

So what are the best seats to have? I have no idea. But I am happy that for more people the view will be better than before.

Roger

With this set up, there are no bad seats.

-Chris

AngelGuy
08-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by cbspock
With this set up, there are no bad seats.

-Chris

So what kind of seats are you buying through the fanclub? The $80 tix, the $65 tix, or the $45 tix?

cbspock
08-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by AngelGuy
So what kind of seats are you buying through the fanclub? The $80 tix, the $65 tix, or the $45 tix?

Well, it depends on how far away you want to be. :) So, I would go with the closer ones :)

-Chris

AINAHS
08-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Roger

Roger She is still facing just one part of the audience at a time no? Does the stage rotate or will Shania continually circle the stage to let all parts of the audience see her face on? Or does the stage continually rotate? She is appearing in large arenas with seating 360 degrees around the venue.

AngelGuy
08-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Well, it depends on how far away you want to be. So, I would go with the closer ones

Yeah, but with in the round seating, a front row floor seat might not be all that great, depending upon how high the stage is.

If you have a front row floor seat, you'll only be front row to one part of the stage. When Shania is standing in front of you on your side, it'll be nice, but when she goes to another side of the stage (which she'll do, often), it won't be as good.

When you're on the floor, the trade-off is being able to see her well for only part of the show. I'm not so sure that's worth it. If you have seats higher up, you won't be as close to her, but you'll be able to see her no matter where she goes on stage.

AINAHS
08-18-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah, but with in the round seating, a front row floor seat might not be all that great, depending upon how high the stage is.

If you have a front row floor seat, you'll only be front row to one part of the stage. When Shania is standing in front of you on your side, it'll be nice, but when she goes to another side of the stage (which she'll do, often), it won't be as good.

When you're on the floor, the trade-off is being able to see her well for only part of the show. I'm not so sure that's worth it. If you have seats higher up, you won't be as close to her, but you'll be able to see her no matter where she goes on stage. With round seating is there a side?

GetchaGood
08-18-2003, 11:13 AM
The first round of shows for Shania Twain's Up In Front tour have been announced, and it's going to start September 25 in her native Canada.

The itinerary, which runs through the start of December, with no dates scheduled for November as of yet, finds Twain playing shows on the East coast, including a total of six Canadian gigs.

"I have a lot of fun with the touring. It's the big reward," Twain said. "I can see on [the audience's] faces what the songs mean to them. I'm affected by music; when I sit and listen, I'm high by it. So when I see I'm affecting them the same way, I really feel I've done what I came to do."

For fans who can't wait to see Twain live, they can catch the superstar on an NBC Special show, August 19. "Shania Twain Up! - Live In Chicago" airs from 8-10 p.m. EST.

Tickets for many of the shows go on sale August 22. Check Twain's official Web site for ticket presale information, available to Fan Club members.

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=2773

AngelGuy
08-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by AINAHS
With round seating is there a side?

The stage is round, and it's right in the middle of the arena. Seats are all around the stage.

Go to http://www.mellonarena.com/ and click on Event Information, then Seating Locator. You can then see a map of the arena for in the round seating. Mellon Arena is where she'll be on Sept 29th.

AINAHS
08-18-2003, 12:36 PM
The stage is round, and it's right in the middle of the arena. Seats are all around the stage.

Go to http://www.mellonarena.com/ and click on Event Information, then Seating Locator. You can then see a map of the arena for in the round seating. Mellon Arena is where she'll be on Sept 29th. From that map it appears there is seating 360 degrees around the stage so 3/4's of the audience does not see her front view and 1/4 sees nothing but a rear view. How can they sell tickets for a rear view of the whole concert? Or side views only??:eek: :eek:

Steve F
08-18-2003, 12:49 PM
The stage in the round is neat. I haven't been to one for a long time. If memory serves me right, I saw Tom Jones that way as well as John Denver. Would have loved to have been there to see Elvis in the round for the 1969 TV Special. Angelguy is right though that it is sometimes a higher stage and if she is walking around a lot, it will be kind of like an electric train in that you'll have to wait until she comes bac around.

Steve

AngelGuy
08-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
From that map it appears there is seating 360 degrees around the stage so 3/4's of the audience does not see her front view and 1/4 sees nothing but a rear view. How can they sell tickets for a rear view of the whole concert? Or side views only??:eek: :eek:

In Shania's case, some fans may pay extra for that rear view. :p

But seriously, Shania has to move around throughout the whole show. She's not going to be stationary, and there's no "front" of the stage. She'll be in different locations on the stage throughout the night.

She can sing and walk around at the same time. She's a talented gal!

DOC BILL
08-18-2003, 04:34 PM
AngelGuy
I'll be at the Pittsburgh concert and I plan to try and get floor seating. I think mid level seating might provide a better overall view of the concert but I'm more concerned about how it "feels". I want up front! DOC

AngelGuy
08-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by DOC BILL
AngelGuy
I'll be at the Pittsburgh concert and I plan to try and get floor seating. I think mid level seating might provide a better overall view of the concert but I'm more concerned about how it "feels". I want up front! DOC

I'm still not sure what kind of seats I'll buy. Both have their advantages. I probably won't make UP! my mind until 10:00 AM tomorrow morning. :)

Have you seen Shania in Pittsburgh before, Doc?

FV
08-18-2003, 05:30 PM
My thoughts on the round stage issue..:)

The front row seat is still pretty cool in my opinion, you will definitively be very close to Shania at one point during the show..and I witnessed myself twice that Shania does like to jump down the stage into the crowd to high five people :Bthumb
At the same time, it is true that if you are not that tall and you are really front row or very close to the stage, when Shania is on the other side of the circle you may not be able to see her very well...but I would assume you would have a screen still to look at ....:confused:

The first tier seats will give you a good visual of the stage from above..so you will be able to see everything all the time, although from a further distance....hummmm...it is possible I guess that Shania will show UP! where first tier seats are, although I would say it is very unlikely....if the first tier seat is exactly around the mid line of the court so to speak, that should be a great position...but never really close to Shania..unless Shania does what Tina Turner did during her last tour...she got on this steeled arm and flew literally over the crowd...:eek:

So in the end after much philosophizing (sp?), I would say: let's buy one ticket per section one floor seat and one first tier seat..LOL!:BL so we can go into the arena early on to check each seat and see which one we want to sit in..LOL!:p ;)

cbspock
08-18-2003, 05:36 PM
http://www.shania-twain.com/tour.swf

Very cool picture!!!

-Chris

AngelGuy
08-18-2003, 05:59 PM
Thank you for your Seating Philosophy 101 course, FV! I enjoyed your analysis of the situation!

And wow, that is a great pic, spock. Light blue is now my favorite color!

cbspock
08-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Thank you for your Seating Philosophy 101 course, FV! I enjoyed your analysis of the situation!

And wow, that is a great pic, spock. Light blue is now my favorite color!

Shania looks great in blue. The brown background is another story.

-Chris

Debbie
08-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Judging from Shania concerts that I have seen on TV or video and the Chicago Concert that I went to Shania is always all over the stage area. So even if you are in the first few rows center stage as I was in Chicago, there are still times that Shania in a ways away from you. When she was clear to the left or right of the center she was a ways from us. So if she uses "in the round" type stageing I don't see any difference. Sometime she will be close to you and sometimes she won't just like in a 'straight' stage. I love the fact that she is all over the stage - to me is shows that she truely wants to connect with ALL of her fans not just front row center. I guess if you wanted to see someone who is always facing you front row center maybe you should go see Alan Jackson - he never moves from front row center. I'm not sure he even knows that there are fans to his left or right. Now in a stage that is in the round I have now idea which level is best. I just know that the way Shania gets around on a stage you will have her facing you a lot of the time no matter where you sit in the round. JMO.:)

cbspock
08-18-2003, 07:40 PM
In Shania's case, some fans may pay extra for that rear view. :p

But seriously, Shania has to move around throughout the whole show. She's not going to be stationary, and there's no "front" of the stage. She'll be in different locations on the stage throughout the night.

She can sing and walk around at the same time. She's a talented gal!

I don't know..........80 bucks for this view...............
http://www.shaniasplace.com/Up_Gallery/PictureScans/030801_NYC_PublicityBlitz/jpgs/Jeff%20and%20Warrior/030801_Jeff_nyc24.jpg

I would prefer this view better........
http://www.shaniasplace.com/Up_Gallery/PictureScans/030801_NYC_PublicityBlitz/jpgs/Jeff%20and%20Warrior/030801_Jeff_nyc27.jpg

or this one........
http://www.shaniasplace.com/Up_Gallery/PictureScans/030801_NYC_PublicityBlitz/jpgs/Jeff%20and%20Warrior/030801_Jeff_nyc40.jpg

-Chris

AngelGuy
08-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
I don't know..........80 bucks for this view...............
http://www.shaniasplace.com/Up_Gallery/PictureScans/030801_NYC_PublicityBlitz/jpgs/Jeff%20and%20Warrior/030801_Jeff_nyc24.jpg

Aw, look at that. Shania missed a belt loop.

And I'd say that both views of Shania are priceless. ;)

cbspock
08-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Aw, look at that. Shania missed a belt loop.

And I'd say that both views of Shania are priceless. ;)

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/headshake.gif

lol hehe

-Chris