PDA

View Full Version : Will Owsley, Mutt & Shania

Knight1
01-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Nashville’s Will Owsley set for solo superstardom
By Ron Wynn, rwynn@nashvillecitypaper.com
January 09, 2004

Fans who enjoyed singer/songwriter Will Owsley’s Grammy-nominated album on Giant records a few years ago might be surprised by the musical direction he takes and the energy he displays on his new release The Hard Way.

Owsley, who will celebrate the disc with a special show Saturday at 12th & Porter, has already garnered strong response from the lead single “Be With You.” It is among the most added records on Triple A radio, and is being featured prominently locally on WLRT-Lightnin’ 100.

“This album is harder rock, and a bit heavier than the music from the first record,” said Owsley. It’s kind of my response to what happened when I was touring for the earlier disc. I did 213 shows in a year on that record, and when you’re on the road like that, you really get a good idea of what makes the people respond. They loved the more rock-oriented material, and that’s the direction I was influenced to go with this record.”

But Owsley’s versatile enough to include some pop and Americana elements on the CD as well. Besides writing and performing the tracks, Owsley also did most of the production and the vocals. It’s a mature, expertly sung and played work with an original, edgy sound, yet not so esoteric that it lacks melodic distinction or rhythmic fervor. It also reflects Owsley’s numerous associations and musical unions, which include stints with Judson Spence, Amy Grant, and Shania Twain among others.

Owsley has lived in Nashville since 1987, but grew up in Anniston, Ala. Though his early fame came when he was featured on MTV in various Judson Spence videos, his collaboration with Millard Powers in the Semantics was the union that Owsley cites as crucial to his growth as a writer and singer. But his first real break came in the mid-’90s, when he joined Amy Grant’s touring band.

“Joining Amy Grant’s band was a saving grace,” he said. “I was broke and didn’t know where to turn at that point. She was so supportive and so easy to work with, and that helped me get back in the game on many levels.”

Shortly after appearing with Grant on the “House of Love” tour, Owsley met another huge industry figure, the legendary producer Mutt Lange.

“At the time he was looking for someone to sing with Shania Twain on some awards and television shows,” said Owsley. “I took my acoustic guitar down to his studio on Music Row and just sang and played for him. He hired me right on the spot.” That led to Owsley singing with Twain on the hit “No One Needs To Know,” and appearing with her on everything from The Today Show to the Academy of Country Music Awards.

But despite his undeniable abilities and success as a performer, Owsley’s also had his career interrupted by record company politics. But Owsley said that the musical chairs and corporate shuffle that resulted in him leaving the Giant record label actually were the best thing that happened to him.

“In today’s environment, where label heads get changed at the drop of a hat and people’s lives are constantly being manipulated, things worked out great for me,” he said. “I didn’t get dropped from Giant. They could have just kept me on the label and had me turning in songs forever without making any records. I was able, thanks to some great legal representation, to leave the label and get all my songs back. I took the 32 best, edited them down, came out with The Hard Way, and it’s working out great.”

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=12&screen=news&news_id=29731

corran
01-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Knight1

If Mutt Lange and Shania Twain like him it must mean that Owsley has potential...Hopefully he will stike a cord with the audience as he sings with Shania Twain....I haven't heard him with Shania yet...

Benjamin

cbspock
01-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by corran
Knight1

If Mutt Lange and Shania Twain like him it must mean that Owsley has potential...Hopefully he will stike a cord with the audience as he sings with Shania Twain....I haven't heard him with Shania yet...

Benjamin

Yes, you have.....

That led to Owsley singing with Twain on the hit “No One Needs To Know,” and appearing with her on everything from The Today Show to the Academy of Country Music Awards.

if you saw her during the TWIM days, this is pre-fabulous falls.

-Chris

corran
01-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
Yes, you have.....

That led to Owsley singing with Twain on the hit “No One Needs To Know,” and appearing with her on everything from The Today Show to the Academy of Country Music Awards.

if you saw her during the TWIM days, this is pre-fabulous falls.

-Chris

No Chris

I am afraid I missed that one...Probably I was too busy taking care of the Coast Guard in those days...But I have certainly been really preoccupied with everything Shania Twain since March of 2003! I wish I was a true fan since then because Shania Twain I recognize now is a truly fine person as is her husband Mutt Lange...They are a great example for anyone to follow...You could say that they are together a world class act...Since that is pretty much what Shania and Mutt do is perform on the world stage for everyone to see...Shania is amazing in the amount of energy and dedication that she has...She has already thought rings around Nashville...But she didn't do it by herself even I recognize that...Shania Twain is extremely fortunate to have met someone like Mutt Lange..He has I am sure helped Shania Twain immeasureably to gain her independence of Music Row...I just wish that her Mercury Label would put out more for Shania Twain because she is the one that is keeping them afloat...From your last post Chris you cannot help but recognize that....

Benjamin :D

cbspock
01-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Check TWIM album is he listed in the credits for that song?

-Chris

corran
01-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
Check TWIM album is he listed in the credits for that song?

-Chris

All right I will do that when I get back home Chris...Thanks for the suggestion...

Benjamin