PDA

View Full Version : Still Proudly Canadian

tides24
10-26-2000, 11:43 AM
Remember all the grief Shania took for not attending the CCMA awards? OK. Just read in the Nashville Tennessean that the hostess of that show, Terri Clark, has just become a US citizen, and will vote in her first US election this year. Now, I like Terri, and we're happy to have her, but all the Canadians who booed Shania should take note. It's not attendance at an awards show that signifies patriotism. Here's the living proof. So, will Terri host the CCMAs next year? Will she get booed? Questions to ponder.

Roger
10-26-2000, 01:01 PM
Hmm. Thanx for the info, tides. You are always so well informed! Now, I hate to always be the one on this board to put a negative spin on things. I just favour a balanced view. Booing is of course never justified but people were disappointed in Shania, not because they felt she was not loyal to Canada as a country but because she did not share her triumph with her Canadian fans.

Actually, I really like Terri and I see nothing wrong with her taking out US citizenship. Seems to me if you have lived in the US for a long time and intend to keep doing so and to keep benefitting from all the US has to offer, you actually have an obligation to take out citizenship. Ditto for anyone who moves to Canada and intends to stay here. They should become citizens. IMHO anyway.

Personally, I think it's too bad that Canadians have to renounce their Canadian citizenship to become US citizens and vice versa. Our countries are so alike. It would tear me apart to renounce my Canadian citizenship.

Roger

DOC BILL
10-26-2000, 06:53 PM
Roger
Your balanced reviews/opinions are definately appreciated by me. And,as usual, in this case I agree with you.DOC

Bryce
10-26-2000, 08:10 PM
Roger

I'm a bit confused by the last paragraph of your post. Unless the laws have changed I thought it was still possible to have duel citzenship. Thus being a Canadian and an American citizen. I know there are a few players in the NHL that are both. I believe Brett Hull is one of them. I may just be missing your point. I'm not sure.

tides24
10-26-2000, 08:28 PM
Bryce, I'm fairly certain that, even if Canada allows dual citizenship, the US does not. You may be confusing resident status with citizenship. I know that if a child of US citizens is born in another country, he/she retains dual citizenship only until the age of 18. At that time, the US insists a choice be made. When you actually raise your hand and take our citizenship oath, you renounce all other governments. That's part of it.

Bryce
10-27-2000, 06:25 AM
Thanks Tides.

I think I have this figured out. I believe Canada does still allow dual citizenship (I may be wrong though it wouldn't be the first time LOL). So if someone born in the US was wanting to take out Canadian citizenship they could hold both. It just can't go the oppisite way. For someone becoming a US citzen.

Bryce

tides24
10-27-2000, 06:48 AM
Not quite, Bryce. If you are a US citizen and you want to take out Canadian citizenship, you have to give up the US citizenship. The US will not allow any citizen to hold citizenship in another country. It's our way or the highway. That's just the way it is. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif
In that regard, we're not as liberal as other countries.

FV
10-27-2000, 10:50 AM
I know for sure that if you are born in Canada and your parents are American you can still hold both citizenships: I personally know people in that situation.... http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif and you do not have to ask for your US citizenship by a certain age.. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

------------------
Cheers,
FV

tides24
10-27-2000, 12:01 PM
Well, FV, I did some research and here's what I found. I was right about no dual citizenship and choosing at age 18, up until 1967. At that time a series of court cases began to modify the law. Most of the cases were argued between 1967 and 1986. At this time, although it does not encourage it, and still will require new citizens to renounce old citizenship, the US will recognize dual citizenship in individual cases. So, I guess we're both half right! http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif You can't say Shania fans aren't well-informed!

FV
11-08-2000, 09:42 AM
Roger,
last nite I listened to a live interview of Terri Clark on WMQZ, she was asked about her vote in the presidential elections of course, so they asked her about her new US citizenship ..She said she did it for two reasons: first, because she was sure she could keep the Canadian one ( and she clearly stated she is proud to be Canadian), and second,because she had been living in the States for quite some time and her parents wanted to stay with her for a while ( they wanted to live with her in the States), but the only way they could move to the States for a year or so, was to have Terri to "sponsor" them, which means you use the family reconjuction (?) clause to have relatives residing with you in the States..The only way for her to sponsor her parents though, was to have US citizenship herself..so that's why she became US citizen..It sounded more a legal matter than a conscious choice to be American..she did it for bureaucratic reasons.. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif)
Just wanted to let you know this...By the way, do you know more about her collaboration with Mary J. Carpenter???

------------------
Cheers,
FV

Roger
11-08-2000, 10:14 AM
Thank you for giving us the reason for Terri's taking out US citizenship. She was recently interviewed on CBC radio but she wasn't asked about the citizenship thing.
I do find one comment puzzling. You say Terri was sure she could keep her Canadian citizenship. This makes it sound as if her becoming a US citizen was still in the future. If in fact she has already become a US citizen, she will KNOW already if she had to give up her Canadian citizenship. Personally, I can't imagine the US would let any foreigner keep her original citizenship and it is US law which decides this.
I don't know anything about Mary J. Carpenter.

Roger

Originally posted by FV:
Roger,
last nite I listened to a live interview of Terri Clark on WMQZ, she was asked about her vote in the presidential elections of course, so they asked her about her new US citizenship ..She said she did it for two reasons: first, because she was sure she could keep the Canadian one ( and she clearly stated she is proud to be Canadian), and second,because she had been living in the States for quite some time and her parents wanted to stay with her for a while ( they wanted to live with her in the States), but the only way they could move to the States for a year or so, was to have Terri to "sponsor" them, which means you use the family reconjuction (?) clause to have relatives residing with you in the States..The only way for her to sponsor her parents though, was to have US citizenship herself..so that's why she became US citizen..It sounded more a legal matter than a conscious choice to be American..she did it for bureaucratic reasons.. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif)
Just wanted to let you know this...By the way, do you know more about her collaboration with Mary J. Carpenter???

FV
11-08-2000, 10:39 AM
Hey Roger,
what I meant when I stated that Terri said she was sure about keeping her Canadian citizenship was that she knew it even before applying for a US citizenship. Now she is full US citizen (before then she was Permanent US resident only) and Canadian too! http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif I have a friend who was in the same situation..

Roger
11-08-2000, 02:23 PM
Well, FV, I just don't understand how Terri or your friend can become Americans without giving up their Canadian citizenship. You know, there was a 2 hour documentary on our TV in the last week or so entitled "Star-Spangled Canadians". It was about the brain drain - Canadians who move to the US for the greater job opportunities. These Canadians generally share these traits:
1) they intend to stay in the States a year or two before returning home again
2) but they never do come back to live
3) most do not take out US citizenship because they are not willing to give up their Canadian citizenship.
This includes news anchor Peter Jennings by the way (another good Ottawa boy).
So there must be another factor I'm missing here.

Roger