PDA

View Full Version : VH1

twainage
09-18-2001, 12:55 AM
Shania on VH1 Friday Sept. 21st - 10pm http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

FV
09-18-2001, 09:45 AM
Yeeeaaaaaaaaah! http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

------------------
Cheers,
FV

Sheri
09-18-2001, 11:39 PM
Tape ready and waiting!!

FV
09-19-2001, 01:02 PM
It seems that the Shania Concert has just been postponed again..All four major TV networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox) will be airing the same program on Friday Night from 9 PM ET..it's a Fundraiser with many stars attending, to help out the families and the victims of the recent terrorist attacks...According to the VH1 website, MTV and VH1 are planning on joining other channels in showing the TV Special for free.. http://www.vh1.com/thewire/content/news/1448954.jhtml

------------------
Cheers,
FV

CK
09-19-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by FV:
It seems that the Shania Concert has just been postponed again..All four major TV networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox) will be airing the same program on Friday Night from 9 PM ET..it's a Fundraiser with many stars attending, to help out the families and the victims of the recent terrorist attacks...According to the VH1 website, MTV and VH1 are planning on joining other channels in showing the TV Special for free.. http://www.vh1.com/thewire/content/news/1448954.jhtml

[comments deleted]

It's too bad 'regular' people will be calling in w/ their HARD-EARNED money & celebrities are KEEPING ALL

Sure, it's for charity, but WHAT good is it when MILLIONAIRES show up to have 'regular' people call in & donate THEIR money???!!!!!

Anyway, This is One event I WON'T be watching & one cause that I WON'T be donating to.

It's ridiculous to have MULTI-Millionaires on the show ( http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,8844,00.html ) & have 'regular' people end up Supporting the cause w/ THEIR money!
http://www.shania-twain.org/images/smilies/3ddisgust3.gif

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 09-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FV (edited
09-19-2001).]

comments deleted by cbspock

[This message has been edited by cbspock (edited 09-19-2001).]

cbspock
09-19-2001, 02:55 PM
I can see your point about how really useless and self serving this telethon is going to be. It's a way for the media to pat itself on the back. According to reports, Americans have raised over 5 millions dollars on their own. CK, I would not blame Faith, but it is the industry on the whole. It makes them feel like they have done something important. If they want to really help, how about they make private donations. Being from New York, this sounds like a totally tasteless event. I know through friends and relatives a lot of people who lost their lives last Tuesday. If these celebrities want to really help..how about making a donation yourself, with out the press covering it. The American people have been stepping up to the plate since last tuesday!!!! Blood donations, food, clothing, money, not to mention the police, the fire fighters, the EMTs, the transit police. Our local papers over the last week have looked like the Vietnam Memorial in DC. The pages and pages of names is just overwelming.
here is a sample: http://www.nypost.com/seven/09172001/index.shtml

All this telethon is going to be is a "I feel good now' fest for the celebrities. We have to sit through all the false tears and false caring. If they want a "Tribute to Heroes" as it is being called. They should read all the names from those lists. Tell the story of a group of workers that carried their handicapped co-worker down 68 flights of stairs to safety. There are also whole fire houses that lost entire shifts, as well as countless police and EMTs. They were going up the towers, to get people out as the towers burned and then crumbled around them. If you get a chance you should read about Father Mike Judge. He was the department chaplin, he died giving last rights, when a peice of debris struck him. You can find the stories on www.nypost.com (http://www.nypost.com) and www.newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com)

At his funeral, they retold a joke he told to his fellow fire fighters....
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him where you will be tomorrow."

CK--Don't be so hard with Faith. Be nice!
-Chris

CK
09-19-2001, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by cbspock:
I can see your point about how really useless and self serving this telethon is going to be. It's a way for the media to pat itself on the back. According to reports, Americans have raised over 5 millions dollars on their own. CK, I would not blame Faith, but it is the industry on the whole. It makes them feel like they have done something important. If they want to really help, how about they make private donations. Being from New York, this sounds like a totally tasteless event. I know through friends and relatives a lot of people who lost their lives last Tuesday. If these celbrities want to really help..how about making a donation yourself.
-Chris

Yeah!

Now that President Bush has, Officially, said he WILL be there, it appears this will Definitely be a 'kiss-butt' fest for Celebs.!

With all of those celebs./movie stars there, it's No wonder WHY Faith was SO anxious to 'help'...

It's like you said, if Any of those celebrities REALLY cared about helping, they would Donate money Themselves instead of asking 'regular' people to do it!!

rtc
09-19-2001, 04:08 PM
Ok, guys, be nice! If you don't like it, don't watch. Simple as that!

Amanda

cbspock
09-19-2001, 04:12 PM
Now the bank I work for here in New York has created a disaster relief fund for the victims families of the WTC massacre, which anyone can donate too. As of Friday morning. in less than 48 hours, they raised over $72,000 in private donations, that is with out doing any publicity in that time. Plus there are a lot of other charities and fundraisers that have been started. A group of Chely Wright fans ["Team Wright"] raised $4000 dollars for the rescue workers. Big round of applause to Chely's fans http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

Since there are grassroots type fundraisers, what is the point of this one??? This is just going to be a feel good telethon for the rich and famous, so they can say they did something for the people of New York. The media is falling all over itself for comming up with this idea.
-Chris

VidDude
09-19-2001, 04:22 PM
If this show get's people to donate money, regardless of the celeb's intent, then so be it.

cbspock
09-19-2001, 04:25 PM
Now, now..ck...be a little nicer to Faith. Remember the rules.

-Chris

rtc
09-19-2001, 10:23 PM
Ok, now I'm a big fan of Faith Hill but I have to say one thing. Since Faith is pregnant, I think she's only attending the event, Friday night, so that she can get the media exposure and in turn, of course, everyone will praise her for being in the spotlight while she's 5/6 months pregnant. And then they'll be saying, "Shania never did that!" And they'll get all down on her for it. Watch! I expect such a thing to happen!

Amanda

CK
09-19-2001, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by rtc:
Ok, now I'm a big fan of Faith Hill but I have to say one thing. Since Faith is pregnant, I think she's only attending the event, Friday night, so that she can get the media exposure and in turn, of course, everyone will praise her for being in the spotlight while she's 5/6 months pregnant. And then they'll be saying, "Shania never did that!" And they'll get all down on her for it. Watch! I expect such a thing to happen!

Amanda

Wow!

I Agree Completely!!!! http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

Faith has NOT been OUT of the spotlight for 1 Month since she began her "break" (which WAS supposed to be a YEAR OFF of the road & from promotional appearances!)!!

I'm Sure we'll hear A LOT of flack from Faith fans & Other people about how "Faith can show up. So, why can't Shania?"

Anyway, All I'll do to sum up my feeling is to use a QUOTE from Tim McGraw about Faith: Faith "Requires A LOT of attention!"

THAT says it All!

LoonEchoes
09-20-2001, 12:37 AM
This event is bringing together over 20 networks and celebrities for a good cause. I cannot believe that anyone is criticizing Faith for wanting to do something helpful. Right now is a time for all people to come together. In America, we hold great cultural significance to televised events (Thanksgiving parade, football games, awards shows); this telethon is more than just a fundraiser, it's an opportunity to show our solidarity.

Sheri
09-20-2001, 12:54 AM
I heard a looong list of celebrities today on the news (in the fields of music/acting/sports) who were donating $1,000,000 EACH of their own money, many of whom are appearing on the telethon. Come on, people! Lighten UP! I can't imagine that ANYone was unmoved by what happened. If this is their way to help, then THANK YOU!

CK
09-20-2001, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by LoonEchoes:
This event is bringing together over 20 networks and celebrities for a good cause. I cannot believe that anyone is criticizing Faith for wanting to do something helpful. Right now is a time for all people to come together. In America, we hold great cultural significance to televised events (Thanksgiving parade, football games, awards shows); this telethon is more than just a fundraiser, it's an opportunity to show our solidarity.

It's NOT just the Fact that she DID join the telethon it's the REASON(s) that she joined that are annoying, IMO.

IF Faith (& the Other celebs. who are attending) REALLY, I mean REALLY(!!) cared about the 'cause' their showing up for, then WHY has Only ONE of those celebs Donated Money to the 'cause' that ALL of those famous people will get Credit for 'Supporting'??!!!!

So far, ONLY JIM CARREY has Donated ANY money!!

Today, I learned that Jim has Donated $ 1 MILLION of his OWN money to the cause!

PLUS, he's going to the telethon to raise money.

At least he's Not as bad as the other people who are MILLIONAIRES who are going to get TONS of publicity & pats on the back for 'Supporting' a cause that NONE of them have Donated money to!!

People like Faith, George Clooney, Tom Hanks, etc. etc., who just SHOW UP, do NOT deserve ANY praise!

Just look at how much the Press is Eating up this story..."Stars come together for a common cause" & junk like that.

Yet, Do you see ANYONE except Jim donating THEIR money to the cause? NO!

As I've said before: Do you see Faith donating ANY of her $ 1 Million "performance fee" to this 'cause' that she's getting credit for 'supporting'?

Do you see Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, & Tom Cruise (ALL of whom EACH make At Least $ 20 MILLION per movie) Donating THEIR Ridiculous paychecks to help the cause?

NO!! It's 'Regular' people who are putting out the money.

****IMO, it's the people who CALL IN & DONATE money that Deserve the Press attention & the pats on the back!!****

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 09-20-2001).]

CK
09-20-2001, 01:17 AM
----BTW: Did you notice in the line-up that EACH Network is being "Represented" by TWO (2) Stars from their network??!

Ex.: Jane K. from FOX's "Malcom In the Middle" will be there alongside Calista Flockhart from FOX's "Ally McBeal." Sela Ward from ABC's "Once & Again" will be there right alongside Dennis Franz from ABC's "NYPD Blue." Kelsey Grammer from NBC's "Frasier" will be there right alongside Conan O'Brien from NBC's "Conan O'Brien" show. Then, Of course, there are ALSO TWO (2) stars "representing" CBS: Amy Brenneman ("Judging Amy") & Ray Romano ("Everybody Loves Raymond").

Did you notice the Pattern?

It's like EVERY Network HAS to have TWO (2) people there to PROMOTE their Network & say "OUR Network is behind America 100%!"

EACH Network has TWO (2) stars going to "respresent" it. Coincidence?

So, it's NOT about 'helping' people...it's about the GREAT press coverage they're All going to get for just Being there OR having Stars go there & "Represent" their network!

Sadly, It's just One, Big pat on the back for the stars & the networks! That's IT! http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 09-20-2001).]

LoonEchoes
09-20-2001, 01:46 AM
It's too bad something meant to raise money and bring people together is being turned into a divisive issue here.

Sheri
09-20-2001, 01:47 AM
Yes, Julia has donated $1,000,000. We do not KNOW what any of these individuals has or has not done. If you don't want to watch. Simple. Don't watch. Don't crucify these people when you don't KNOW what they are or are not doing.

cbspock
09-20-2001, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by LoonEchoes:
It's too bad something meant to raise money and bring people together is being turned into a divisive issue here.

We already had the telethon in a sense, have you watched the non-stop news coverage?

Loon, over $55 millions dollars has been raised already by the American people, through private, and corporate donations, to other charities. Another $200 million has been sent to the Red Cross, and Ebay hopes to raise another $100 million. The Telethon just seems so self serving to me. Like the celebrities 'need to do something', or need to show they care. We can do without the false sentiments. It just seems that the media is exploiting the events here in NY for self promotion. I have seen the real tears of people here in NY, from neighbors and co-workers and our local media [TV and newspapers]. Having a celebrity, like Julia Roberts for example, read some story of rescue workers, and about the victims from a teleprompter, and then asking for money just seems wrong. Even if Shania participated in this I would have a problem with it. Unlike CK, who always has a problem with Faith Hill, my gripe lies with the whole concept of the show, and not the individual celebrities. Like I said, if they really want to help, make a private donation to one of the many charities. Oh, and I am not alone in my feelings on this, many of my co-workers don't like the idea either.

Loon, we don't need a telethon run by the media to show our solidarity. I think we have shown it in the past week, just look up and you will see our flags flying high. Look at the patriotism being displayed. Look at all the people who have made donations to charities, and donations of supplies, and donations of blood. We dont't need to see a bunch of celebrities parade across the stage to see our solidarity. All you have to do is read some of the stories from Ground Zero.
-Chris

Here is a link to the ET story: http://www.etonline.com/celebrity/a6643.htm
--answering phones?? themselves..how sappy is this going to be.

[This message has been edited by cbspock (edited 09-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cbspock (edited 09-20-2001).]

cbspock
09-20-2001, 06:28 AM
Figured I would move the topic here since, this has become less about Shania, and more of a debate on the value of a celebrity telethon.

-Chris

cbspock
09-20-2001, 08:34 AM
Check out this tribute to the people at Ground Zero......
http://www.yellow7.com/imagine/

Steve F
09-20-2001, 09:17 AM
I have been around this Board long enough to know where CK is coming from. I have to agree this is going to be a three-ring circus. If all the celebs really wanted to help the cause, they would do it anonymously & quietly just as the rest of us are. If Jim Carey and Julia Roberts are giving big-time, that's great, but let's not broadcast it all over. It may be innocent and nothing meant by it, but it gives the impression that these people are willing to give as long as they get a lot of press for it. I know how CK feels about Faith and I have to agree that wherever Faith smells publicity in the making, she smells it out like a bloodhound. However, so do countless other celebrities. Tim is right on with his analysis that Faith loves and needs a lot of attention. We also know that Shania does not. In fact Shania seems to have to reach back and push herself when it comes to seeking the limelight. It's her way just as seeking the limelight is Faith's way. I don't think either way is right or wrong, it's a personal choice by the individual. The bottom line is I'm glad so many famous people want to help out in this cause for disaster relief for victims of the terrorism that happened last week in New York and Washington, but I also think they should be more discreet in doing so. I just read in this mornings paper how the rescue workers don't like having people like Denzel Washington walking around the cleanup area simply because it distracts the workers.

On a related issue, I see that Michael Jackson is planning another recording session like the one he did for "We Are The World" many years ago, I wonder if Shania would be interested in being involved in it? I know it is a long shot and all, but wouldn't it be great? It really wouldn't take that much of her time to do it. I wish it could happen, but being realistic, I am guessing she won't want to do it at this time.

Steve

Mary R
09-20-2001, 09:29 AM
My 2 cents worth, there have been so many people that have given, through rescue operations,blood, money donations, etc., who haven't gotten credit,but in their hearts and mind and to God they know,they don't need credit so everyone knows that they helped, just knowing that they gave, even if it is just a little to those the many in need is enough for them. I don't understand why the celeb's can't do the same, without having to get credit for it through the media? I suppose the celeb's feel that more people will feel more inclined to give if they see their fav celeb is participating and giving.
And I suppose there are some whether it be a celeb or not that feel having everyone know that they donated or gave of their time makes them feel important. Mary R

DOC BILL
09-20-2001, 09:48 AM
EVERYONE should do what they can when they can for this effort. As Steve implied, I don't think any tendencies are being broken or changed here amoung the celebs. I appreciate their efforts but less than the mother of 5 kids working to support them who slips a quarter into a donation container. We SHOULD support anyone who supports this effort-regardless of their individual reasons for doing so. I'm very certain Shania, Mutt, and Eja will support this in their own way-we're not likely to hear about it-but it will be done. DOC

Joni
09-20-2001, 10:24 AM
Hmmmmm.....This allstar whatever thing doesn't bother me. Tom Hanks is involved so to me the basis of it is from the heart. If others are choosing to use it for their own gain I won't let that spoil the true intent.
You can't not do a good thing because some might believe some invloved are users. The greater good is the money that will be raised for the cause. The so called "users" won't fool anyone. I have to say the celebities I admire I will love to see their "hearts". All the major T.V. stations will be together broadcasting, no competition. I'll be watching and hoping that the real intentions of what they are doing comes through the cameras and into everyone's hearts.

Joni

Tee
09-20-2001, 10:29 AM
Every time celebrities do a fund raiser it gets publicized in one way or another. This time is no different except that it doesn't need the publicity. People are helping with out being told they need to and that it's for a good cause. It's times like this that people really are hit deeply, which means there doesn't need to be publicity for people to be aware of the need. I don't criticize anyone for trying to help a worthy cause, however I don't condone the recognition they receive publicly from this event either.

Teresa

CK
09-20-2001, 04:36 PM
I think this Whole Telethon is becoming a REAL JOKE...

MARIAH CAREY has Signed up for the event. (She has a Movie opening on the Same night as the telethon. This is probably Purely Promotional on the part of her record label.)

ALSO, CELINE DION has, Officially, Signed on to SING "GOD BLESS AMERICA" in a Live SATELLITE feed from New York! (If you don't believe me, Go here: http://www.canoe.ca/Television/sep20_telethon-cp.html )

This Whole thing is just Ridiculous!!!!

VidDude
09-20-2001, 04:41 PM
CK,CBSPOCK,
You guys don't get it. You are acting very simple minded. Who cares what the celebs intent is. If it's going to raise money for this very worthy cause, then so be it. cbspock, I hope you don't edit this -

cbspock
09-20-2001, 05:00 PM
Vidude, people HAVE BEEN DONATING!!!! Where have you been???? This is all a big promo campaign for the celebrites!!!! The celebs can make private donations like everyone else.

-Chris

CK
09-20-2001, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by VidDude:
CK,CBSPOCK,
You guys don't get it. You are acting very simple minded. Who cares what the celebs intent is. If it's going to raise money for this very worthy cause, then so be it. cbspock, I hope you don't edit this -

Well, I just think, to have people like Celine Dion, Julia Roberts & others involved in this telethon, it's a Slap in the face to ALL of the victims & to ALL of the people who contribute ANY money to this 'cause'!

I mean, people like Julia & Celine have MORE Money than they can even Count (& Celine makes a POINT of Showing Off her money EVERY chance she gets).

So, Why don't THEY contribute at least some of their MILLIONS & MILLIONS of dollars to this 'cause'!

They could Also CANCEL this whole Telethon & NOT waste the money on it! EACH Network could just Donate that MONEY that they would've spent putting together this telethon!

It would help out A LOT!

ALL of the Networks & ALL of the stars involved in this telethon COULD have just quietly Donated money!

What do they do Instead?

They have turned this tragedy into a CELEB-fest telethon w/ a bunch of Millionaires asking 'Regular' people to donate THEIR money!

Even if Faith was NOT involved in this, it would Still be Wrong to have this telethon!

That's just the way I feel & I'm glad I'm Not alone.

CK
09-20-2001, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by cbspock:
Vidude, people HAVE BEEN DONATING!!!! Where have you been???? This is all a big promo campaign for the celebrites!!!! The celebs can make private donations like everyone else.

-Chris

EXACTLY!

It's a SELF-Gratifying, Promotional campaign for Celebrities!

http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/frown.gif

Roger
09-20-2001, 06:01 PM
Um, I am uneasy about the direction and tone that this thread is taking. I know everyone is overwrought, and that is understandable, but people are getting impatient with each other. If it continues I will close the thread even if a fellow moderator is one of the participants.

We are united, I think, in our opposition to terrorism and our desire to help those who are suffering. Not to mention our love for Shania and her music. Can we leave it at that and move on to something else?

Roger

cbspock
09-20-2001, 06:27 PM
I don't think there is a problem Roger. I have stated my opinion, and I don't see the need to repeat myself. So my participation on this thread is at an end.

-Chris

CK
09-20-2001, 07:11 PM
Update:

Even though she is NOT participating in the telethon tomorrow, Sandra Bullock has Donated $ 1 MILLION to the New York/Pentagon tragedy fund!

Also, Rosie O'Donnell spoke out (ON & OFF of her show) about the telethon & said, Quote, "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a $ 1 MILLION dollar cover charge for that?"!

She Went on to say "I think Each performer should have to donate $ 1 MILLION to participate."!

I AGREE w/ her!

THAT is All I've been saying All along!

FV
09-20-2001, 07:41 PM
This section of the board was open to be united against terrorism and to help each other cope with the tragic events of Sep. 11. It seems it has taken another turn and anger has developed unfortunately http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/frown.gif...Since some of the posts might be interpreted as violating article 3 of the Code of Conduct, I am closing this thread. PLEASE refrain from attacks against other celebrities and fellow board members..
No more anger on the board...disagreement is OK, but remember why this section was open...

------------------
Cheers,
FV