PDA

View Full Version : Timmins Restaurants

Bob
07-08-2001, 04:09 PM
Timmins Restaurant Advice

Hi again gang,

I think that in addition to posting online, news of our trip for other people who might be interested in a trip to the Shania Centre in Timmins, it would be helpful for them if we shared our experience and recommendations regarding restaurants.

Someone, perhaps Corinna the TV anchor, suggested we try Fionn McCools. For our group, I think this was a outstanding place. The somewhat country, somewhat Irish atmosphere made us very comfortable yet excited. They handled our large group of about 25-30 people well. Notable Timmins personalities and officials stopped by to visit with us, as did the manager. They had live music in the evening that started near the end of our early evening meal.

Food: I ordered Chicken pot pie, with mashed potatoes and fresh steamed vegetables (carrots, green pepper, and a couple others). It was an EXCELLENT meal, especially the pot pie and mashed potatoes, which were thicker and heartier than I usually encounter, but in my opinion considerably better.

Drink: I had water, which was fine, but due our having a fantastic day that was WAY above our expectations so far, decided to celebrate with a special beer. Asked the waitress for a recommendation. Although pleasant, competent and helpful on all other matters, I have to dock her one percent point on this item. She said she doesn't drink beer, so doesn't really know. I took a stab at a prominently advertised Guinness, which I knew nothing about, since I don't drink very often either. Only much later, did some of the other members of our club tell me how potent this stuff is. I took a sip and noticed it was flatter tasting than some nice micro brews I've sampled a couple times where I live. A little while later I took a second sip. It was a very large glass of nearly black liquid. After about 5 minutes, my head suddenly went CLANG!!! Wow. I get a mild headach from some kinds of beer, so I'm pretty careful, and only drink about 1/2 glass even in the best of times. Well, these two tablespoons were plenty for me. I concentrated on my fine meal and used several glasses of water as chaser to the bit of beer, and the vice around my temples eventually went away.

What did you eat? And how did you like it?

Bob

Roger
07-08-2001, 04:38 PM
Well, you may have been wanting a description of something a little more elegant in the way of restaurants than Tim Hortons but I really feel that I should comment on the two we ate at in Timmins. After all, I had been plugging Tim Hortons for quite a while. Well, I have to say the two I visited were a disappointment and, in my opinion, they do not represent thw quality of TH generally. I have eaten at TH all over southern and eastern Ontario. They vary usually in how fast they can serve you or how well organized they are but never in quality - until now. Usually their apple fritters are sinfully delicious, inspiring a momentary rush of gustatory ecstacy when we first bite into them. Not the ones in Timmins. The key to TH's success has always been found in their motto "Always fresh". This covers their coffee which is thrown out after 20 minutes, even if not all used by then, to their muffins, doughnuts, etc. Maybe I was unlucky but the doughnuts I tasted in Timmins were not fresh enough. This breaks the primary rule at TH's. So I apologize to everyone who tried TH for the first time in Timmins. I am embarassed and at a loss to explain it. You bet, I will try Krispe Kreme the moment they open in Ontario.

Roger

Bob
07-08-2001, 05:12 PM
Thanks Roger,

I was working informally on our group plans for a picnic. When the weather turned from two days of hot and humid 90 degrees Farenheit to a July 1st with snow and rain, I looked into having our picnic indoors.

We had considered, then ruled out pizza for our party the night before, in the Shania Twain Suite, which we moved to a conference room due to the large number of persons attending.

So I checked into Don's Pizzeria and Pizza Hut. Canada Day was on a Sunday, and Don's sign said they were not open until 3:00 in the afternoon that day. That was a place that Shania had said was one of her favorites. But David Harte (Longshot) had said it was definitely not his favorite. Our picnic was set for 1:00 so that effectively ruled out Don's that day. Pizza Hut told me on the phone that for reservations for a non smoking group our size, I should call back when the manager arrived, I think at 10:30am. Well, I had to get over to meet you folks by then for our town tour given by Michelle. When we discussed this there, it was concluded that Pizza Hut could handle us almost any time they were open, without reservations. But we decided upon the Golden Griddle in the Timmins Square Mall by Sears toward the west end of town. My experience with the Sunday morning breakfast bar there was that it was tasty and adequate, for a reasonable price. But I got there late from the airport with Roger and Kay. I don't know how the others fared.

As for Tim Horton's, I enjoyed their sandwiches. I barely avoided their appealing pastries (my borderline low blood sugar is not compatible). The soups seemed a bit tepid. And the service counter is not well organized for approach by more than 3-4 people at a time. Atmosphere seemed good, especially the time with the rainbow outside through the window over Hollinger Park.

I heard that a bunch of you found the Maple Leaf Hotel closed and went over to Don's Pizzeria Sunday later in the day. What'd you think?

Bob

FV
07-08-2001, 05:16 PM
Roger,
I would not be so disappointed...sometimes with franchises it is difficult to control all of them...All the food I had in Timmins was very good, from the slice of Pizza I got on Second Avenue to the pacakes I tried on Sunday at the place at the Timmins Square Mall.. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif I cannot complaint at all, on the contrary, prices were even much cheaper than in the US! http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

------------------
Cheers,
FV

corinna
07-09-2001, 04:25 PM
Hi Everyone!!

Glad you liked Fionn MacCool's! I hear through the grapevine they enjoyed having you there!!
Here's a list of some great eating places you might also like to try when next in town.
All are very good.

The Fish Bowl -- on Algonquin...great seafood
& pasta in a nicely decorated restaurant.

The Golden Dragon -- good buffet Chinesefood.

Off The Beaten Path:

The Dante Club...on Cedar St. across from the Daily Press Building. It's the local Italian Club in town...but they do run a side restaurant a few days a week...with a great menu and lunch buffet. If you like Italian food...this is THE place to go!! Truly authentic! Just call ahead of time.
(this is where we held Shania's luncheon during Shania Day in 1996).

The Polish White Eagle Hall...the local Polish club holds a buffet every Friday night
(not sure the hours though). The tables are set- up like a wedding!! Fantastic perogies, cabbage rolls...etc. I believe it was $12 (?)
for a FULL buffet meal, coffee and desserts.
Not to be missed!

Corinna http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

Bob
07-09-2001, 06:43 PM
Corinna,

Thanks for the appetizing dining info. I wish I was still there. I'd definitely try the Italian place. I like Polish food too, especially their pastries. You've got a great feel for Timmins eateries. You can advise us anytime!

Bob

cbspock
07-09-2001, 09:04 PM
We'll have to try these places when we go back http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

-chris

Bryce
07-09-2001, 09:12 PM
Man I'm gettin hungry!!!!!!!! I need a Don's Pizza BAD!!!!!!!

Bryce

Bob
07-10-2001, 04:55 PM
Hi Bryce,

What did you think of Don's pizza? The general impression from what I've heard was that it was favorable. Is it better, worse, same, or just different than, say Pizza Hut (which I like a lot).

David Hartt/Longshot/mrrex said at one point in the past Don's was good, but seems like later I saw a post by him saying he didn't like it (anymore?). He gave us a nice list of places to visit in Timmins. I saw some of them by virtue of Michelle's tour. Some he just gave the address and didn't say what was there. But if I'd had more time, I'd have liked to check out more of those places; along with Corinna's eateries. I wonder if she learned that in Communications school, how to make eating sound so appetizing.

I went with Roger, Kay, Steve and Terry to the east end Tim Hortons for supper, where I shot the pix of the rainbow. And I was trying to get over to the Maple Leaf to catch up to the rest of you shortly after 6:30 that day. But I didn't get out til nearly 7:00 and the Maple Leaf was closed, and I had no clue that you folks had gone to Don's. So I went back to Maridan's to finish getting some souvenir brochures, Timmins free paper, etc that I'd seen there, because I'd previously left a bit early to go to the airport. I had a wonderful, far reaching historical, sociological, philosophical visit for 2-3 hours with Dan and wife. That place was one of the good ones under the end of the rainbow for me in Timmins.

Bob

Bryce
07-10-2001, 05:49 PM
I liked Don's Pizza. I had the thin crust (next time I'll try the thick). I found it to be generous with the toppings. I find the best Pizza is often at the small sole proprietor run shops, rather than at the big franchise run places. I have eaten at Pizza Hut a few times. Pizza Hut is OK but I find it very greasy. At least their pan pizzas are.

I'll take Don's over the Big Franchises. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/biggrin.gif http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/biggrin.gif

Bryce

Bob
07-12-2001, 04:46 PM
Ok Bryce,

I'll try one if I get there again. Would have this time, if I'd known where you all were. But I love getting lost. Leads to the most interesting and fulfilling discoveries.

Bob

cbspock
07-12-2001, 06:34 PM
Don's was good, and it did come close to NY Pizza. However the pizza crust here is a lot thicker.

-Chris

[This message has been edited by cbspock (edited 07-12-2001).]

Tee
07-17-2001, 03:01 PM
My favorite I believe, was something I had never had before. It was called Poutine (sp). Man was that good, but look out for the calories. I remembered seeing Doc's gang order this the night we went to the Irish Pub. Then the night we went to Don's Pizza again, Doc's, Kelly and Billy ordered it so I tried it. I was late in trying that, since that was our last night there and that was the only time I got to have it.
I want to try at home, but haven't had the chance yet.

Have A Happy Heart!
Teresa