PDA

View Full Version : Twain steers country down new tracks

cbspock
03-16-2001, 12:31 PM
Looks like Luke Lewis has learned a thing from the Shania playbook. He let her fly and look what happened!!!!!!!! Looks like he is going to let more artists out of the butterfly net...LOL http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

From the View at the Helm on country.com http://www.country.com/music/news/newswire/sxsw-panel-0301-f.html

Country Might Need to Change Course
"View From the Helm" Not Rosy at SXSW
By Jay Orr

AUSTIN, Texas -- With uncommon candor, two Nashville executives admitted Thursday (March 15) that country music suffers from a discouraging blandness at present.

"Our music currently is totally boring, and I'm partly responsible," MCA Nashville President Tony Brown said in a panel titled "The View From the Helm" at the 15th annual South By Southwest Music Music and Media conference.

Mercury Nashville chief Luke Lewis, whose new label, Lost Highway, will showcase its roster at a highly anticipated show Friday night, called himself "bullish" on the industry and its ability to evolve "in a beautiful way." His new venture, he said, will "set some artists free" to create music not tailored to present industry expectations.

But Lewis agreed with Brown's premise that country music badly needs new creative energy. "If you were to take a poll on Music Row of label heads," he said, "the ones who didn't lie to you would tell you they don't listen to country radio themselves."

Brown and Lewis shared the panel with Miles Copeland, former manager of The Police and president of Ark 21, Rob Seidenberg of Mammoth Records and Joe Boyd, president of Hannibal Records.

Brown said country record labels have let themselves be manipulated too much by country radio. The music business in Nashville, he stated, has become a "forum" for producers instead of a forum for artists. "It's scary," he admitted. "Times like this are when you gamble, not when you play it safe."

Lewis, in a sense, is doing just that. His new imprint is home to edgy, song-driven artists such as Lucinda Williams, who has sold around 500,000 copies of her last record, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, Kim Richey, Ryan Adams and Tift Merritt. The phenomenal success of Shania Twain, who has sold 50 million CDs worldwide, gave Lewis the clout to undertake the new venture.

"I was at the helm and the submarine came up," Lewis said. "I was ready to quit."

The artists on Lost Highway all have released records and all have earned some measure of critical acceptance. "We're dealing with a bunch of artists who already have a brand," Lewis said. Those artists are not asking his company to make them stars. "They just want to know, can you take us to another level?"

Brown, whose roster includes George Strait, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill and Allison Moorer, lamented the Nashville practice of deciding by committee whether a song has a chance to become a hit. "It used to be, what made a hit a hit was that it had a hook and you couldn't get it out of your head and you wanted to hear it over and over again."

Not having to follow the rules, he predicted, could yield a "big, big hit" and "all of a sudden, that would be mainstream."

South By Southwest continues through Saturday with panels during the day and music showcases at night. Organizers predict that this year's event will draw more than 6,000 registrants.

[This message has been edited by cbspock (edited 03-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cbspock (edited 03-16-2001).]

FV
03-16-2001, 01:35 PM
Shania was definitively Lewis' best teacher.. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/biggrin.gif LOL

------------------
Cheers,
FV

DOC BILL
03-16-2001, 02:03 PM
UMMMMM??? Haven't we as a group been saying this for a while! Not bad for a bunch of cross-over fans! About time they wake up-maybe they're readin' our posts too! DOC

[This message has been edited by DOC BILL (edited 03-16-2001).]

Steve F
03-16-2001, 03:17 PM
What was that rap or whatever song out just recently, "Who Let The Dogs Out?" Sounds like that's what happening here. Or maybe it's "Who Let Shania Out" which really works out well for Luke Lewis. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

------------------
If elephants could fly I'd be a little more optimistic, but I don't see that happening anytime soon!!!!

Steve

Twain Crazy
03-18-2001, 03:15 PM
THIS POST WAS AN INTERESTING ONE.. I FIND COUNTRY MUSIC TO BE LACKING A BIT.. I WAS NEVER INTO COUNTRY AT ALL TIL I HEARD SHANIA.

I'M NOT TRYING TO SAY COUNTRY MUSIC IS BAD BUT NASHVILLE NEEDS TO GET MORE WITH IT I THINK..THERE ARE NOW MANY ARTISTS WHO ARE TRYING TO CROSS OVER I THINK THEY SEE THAT IT'S THE WAY TO GO IF YOU WANT TO STAY ON TOP. SHANIA SET THE EXAMPLE AND PEOPLE ARE TAKING NOTICE. SHANIA HERSELF HAS HAD SUCH A GREAT CAREER SHE TAKES RISKS AND DOESN'T SELL OUT TO WHAT NASHVILLE MAY THINK..SHE IS HER OWN ARTIST AND MAKES HER MUSIC HER WAY.

THAT IS WHAT MAKES A LASTING ARTIST SHE KNOWS WHAT PEOPLE WANT AND GOES WITH IT. MUTT OF COURSE IS GREAT ASWELL, NASHVILLE MAY NOT HAVE BEEN READY FOR HIM AT FIRST BUT THE TWO OF THEM TOGETHER THEY ARE I THINK, THE DREAM TEAM IN MUSIC.. THANKS FOR THE MUSIC MUTT & SHANIA!!

cbspock
03-19-2001, 09:50 AM
Here is a related story from AP:
Monday March 19 8:45 AM ET
Summit Explores Country's Future

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Country music, like pop, ``has become a producer's forum, not an artist's forum,'' a record company executive says.

Consequently, Nashville's major labels are focused on scoring radio hits, said Tony Brown, president of MCA Nashville, rather than developing the kind of career artists who have sustained MCA through a lengthy downturn in the country music market.

Brown's record company has on its roster such country stars as George Strait, Reba McEntire and Vince Gill.

``For me, in Nashville our music is totally boring, and I'm partly responsible,'' Brown said during a panel discussion at the South by Southwest music conference in Austin, Texas. ``I think we've let ourselves be manipulated too much by radio.''

``If you were to poll label heads on Music Row, the ones who didn't lie to you would tell you they don't listen to country radio. How sad is that?'' said Luke Lewis of Mercury Records. His biggest artist, Shania Twain, sold about 50 million albums worldwide in the past five years.

Their comments were reported in The Tennessean on Friday.

Panel participants complained about the skyrocketing costs of marketing music in an entertainment business increasingly dominated by fewer radio corporations, record companies and retail chains.

-
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010319/en/country_forum_2.html

rtc
04-08-2001, 10:38 AM
I don't know if you know it or not, but Luke always was a "Rock Fan". He headed a label out in LA before he came to Nashville. Tony played with Elvis! I think it's about time Nashville is finally seeing what the rest of us have seen for a long while. We do have Shania to thank partly for all of this, but those who laid the foundation was Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Glen Campbell.....You'd have thought they would have seen this coming a long time ago! I really do hope things make a change. My dream and perhaps many others', is to live in a place where music is just music. Where it's not labeled and there are no boundaries. Where we all have the freedom to sing and play what we like. Maybe then my fight wouldn't be so hard. There would be more doors open for myself and other singer/songwriter/musicians.

By The way, Mutt and Shania Rule! Again, congrats on the new baby!

DOC BILL
04-08-2001, 11:13 AM
I can tell you guys-country music is changing in Orlando. Last night the Wild Horse Saloon was rocking and it wasn't your mother's country-lots of crossovers, Travis Tritt at the House of Blues, the featured group at Pleasure Island was called Rebel Pride and they were a rocking us simple country folks-some mean guitar work and the lead vocal sounded like Garth on steroids. I'm liking this new country flavor here in Orlando and I'm sure hoping it's spreading out from here-Thanks Shania! DOC.

FV
04-08-2001, 05:00 PM
DOC,
I am sure country music has taken over many fans.. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif I think it has always had the "rock edge" within, but it was not safe enough to show it so clearly. ! http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/biggrin.gif

------------------
Cheers,
FV