PDA

View Full Version : Shania mention..."THE DEAD ZONE"

cbspock
06-12-2002, 08:34 AM
'The Dead Zone' Features New Twist
Tue Jun 11, 6:31 PM ET
By CHELSEA J. CARTER, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Fear not Stephen King fans, even though the USA Network's "The Dead Zone" will have plenty of twists that go beyond the book.

Photos

AP Photo

Like the best-selling novel, the new series follows the story of a man who awakens after years in a coma with the ability to see the future of those around him with the touch of a hand. Unlike the book, the series also follows the journey of those around the man.

"We're very much committed to satisfying the Stephen King audience," said series executive producer and writer Michael Piller, who's worked on shows such as "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Star Trek: Voyager ( news - Y! TV)."

The result: a well-rounded series, which debuts 10 p.m. EDT Sunday, that has the feel of King's 1979 novel but stands on its own. (King was not involved in the development of the series and would not comment on the show.)

After reading the book and watching the 1983 film adaptation, starring Christopher Walken, Piller said he came away with "an appreciation of this particular story as something that I thought would give me an opportunity to explore. ... We have a chance to go anywhere with that journey."

Although the first episode mirrors the beginning of the book's story line, it quickly departs, thanks to an introduction of new characters, a twist on time travel and an infusion of humor.

Johnny Smith ( Anthony Michael Hall) is a high school science teacher who loves his job and is looking forward to his future with his soon-to-be bride (Nicole deBoer, "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"). A car accident changes it all.

More than six years later, Johnny wakes up from a coma. A brain injury has activated a "dead zone" of his brain, giving him his preternatural ability that allows him to see the future and the past with a touch of a hand. (Later, his gift extends to objects.)

He finds out his fiancee married the town sheriff, who thinks Johnny's crazy, and that he missed O.J. Simpson's trial, President George W. Bush ( news - web sites)'s election and such other things as caller ID and the emergence of Shania Twain — these last few things being played for laughs.

As Johnny tries to come to terms with his new life, he befriends his physical therapist, Bruce, played by the scene-stealing John L. Adams. The two become an unlikely team as they investigate some of Johnny's visions.

David Ogden Stiers ("M-A-S-H") has a creepy turn as a minister who's not as holy as he seems.

By the third episode, "The Dead Zone" completes its departure from the book, while Hall also departs from Walken's dark, subdued film portrayal.

Hall's Johnny flashes the qualities — comic timing, great facial expressions — that made him a star in the 1980s movies "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club."

But it's the show's more sinister, serious moments that attracted the actor.

"It's one of the things that's so enticing about this for me going into to it. There are no limits," he said. "I go from being a killer in some episodes to being a victim in some episodes. The whole idea of transference and becoming other people is intense, and ultimately challenging as an actor."

Hall also picked up a co-producer credit on the show, which is filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia.

The show's other star is its special effects. In scenes in which Johnny flashes on the future, the use of freeze-frame effects allows the character to walk through an instant in time and examine the event from different viewpoints.

"Michael (Piller) has made it very clear he wants to appeal to Stephen King's audience. That's a wide audience that's come to expect darkness and the macabre stuff. They will certainly get that. At the same time, I think it will attract a sci-fi audience because of the special effects," Hall said.

___

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020611/ap_on_en_tv/ap_on_tv_dead_zone_2&printer=1

Jud
06-12-2002, 12:22 PM
Wow, I'm really impressed! This is the third book in which Stephen King mentions Shania!
Looks like someone was trapped here;)

Roger
06-12-2002, 12:46 PM
Sounds really interesting Chris! I read the novel and saw the movie. This series has more creative possibilities. Trouble is, I can't find the USA network offered and we have digital cable. Hope some Canadian network picks it up.

Roger

rtc
06-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Shania is mentioned in more than just Stephen King's novels, she is mentioned in other books as well. I have one or two romance novels that her name and music ("Any Man Of Mine") is mentioned in. Just goes to show how big of an icon she is. I think she's hit "Elvis" status. :)

Amanda

AINAHS
06-14-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by rtc
Shania is mentioned in more than just Stephen King's novels, she is mentioned in other books as well. I have one or two romance novels that her name and music ("Any Man Of Mine") is mentioned in. Just goes to show how big of an icon she is. I think she's hit "Elvis" status. :)

Amanda I have seen her and her music mentioned in various mystery, detective and thriller novels I have read over the past several years. It would be interesting to have a list of all the books she is mentioned in - I don't guess there is a way to compile this though.

cbspock
06-14-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
I have seen her and her music mentioned in various mystery, detective and thriller novels I have read over the past several years. It would be interesting to have a list of all the books she is mentioned in - I don't guess there is a way to compile this though.

Yes there is. EVERYONE WHO HAS READ A SHANIA MENTION IN A BOOK, POST TO THIS THREAD.

-Chris

talkalot24
06-16-2002, 01:29 AM
Think Shania will actually be mentioned at some time during this series?
-------------------

'The Dead Zone' Features New Twist
Tue Jun 11, 6:31 PM ET
By CHELSEA J. CARTER, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Fear not Stephen King fans, even though the USA Network's "The Dead Zone" will have plenty of twists that go beyond the book.

Photos

AP Photo

Like the best-selling novel, the new series follows the story of a man who awakens after years in a coma with the ability to see the future of those around him with the touch of a hand. Unlike the book, the series also follows the journey of those around the man.

"We're very much committed to satisfying the Stephen King audience," said series executive producer and writer Michael Piller, who's worked on shows such as "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Star Trek: Voyager ( news - Y! TV)."

The result: a well-rounded series, which debuts 10 p.m. EDT Sunday, that has the feel of King's 1979 novel but stands on its own. (King was not involved in the development of the series and would not comment on the show.)

After reading the book and watching the 1983 film adaptation, starring Christopher Walken, Piller said he came away with "an appreciation of this particular story as something that I thought would give me an opportunity to explore. ... We have a chance to go anywhere with that journey."

Although the first episode mirrors the beginning of the book's story line, it quickly departs, thanks to an introduction of new characters, a twist on time travel and an infusion of humor.

Johnny Smith ( Anthony Michael Hall) is a high school science teacher who loves his job and is looking forward to his future with his soon-to-be bride (Nicole deBoer, "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"). A car accident changes it all.

More than six years later, Johnny wakes up from a coma. A brain injury has activated a "dead zone" of his brain, giving him his preternatural ability that allows him to see the future and the past with a touch of a hand. (Later, his gift extends to objects.)

He finds out his fiancee married the town sheriff, who thinks Johnny's crazy, and that he missed O.J. Simpson's trial, President George W. Bush ( news - web sites)'s election and such other things as caller ID and the emergence of Shania Twain — these last few things being played for laughs.

As Johnny tries to come to terms with his new life, he befriends his physical therapist, Bruce, played by the scene-stealing John L. Adams. The two become an unlikely team as they investigate some of Johnny's visions.

David Ogden Stiers ("M-A-S-H") has a creepy turn as a minister who's not as holy as he seems.

By the third episode, "The Dead Zone" completes its departure from the book, while Hall also departs from Walken's dark, subdued film portrayal.

Hall's Johnny flashes the qualities — comic timing, great facial expressions — that made him a star in the 1980s movies "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club."

But it's the show's more sinister, serious moments that attracted the actor.

"It's one of the things that's so enticing about this for me going into to it. There are no limits," he said. "I go from being a killer in some episodes to being a victim in some episodes. The whole idea of transference and becoming other people is intense, and ultimately challenging as an actor."

Hall also picked up a co-producer credit on the show, which is filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia.

The show's other star is its special effects. In scenes in which Johnny flashes on the future, the use of freeze-frame effects allows the character to walk through an instant in time and examine the event from different viewpoints.

"Michael (Piller) has made it very clear he wants to appeal to Stephen King's audience. That's a wide audience that's come to expect darkness and the macabre stuff. They will certainly get that. At the same time, I think it will attract a sci-fi audience because of the special effects," Hall said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020611/ap_on_en_tv/ap_on_tv_dead_zone_2

___

shaniawarrior
06-16-2002, 11:33 PM
I have seen Shania mentioned in a few ebooks I've read and in other online fan fiction stories. I've also seen parodies of her songs on various websites. I saw these things a long time ago so unfortunately I don't remember what the websites were. :(

A HYPER Shania fan,
Desiree