PDA

View Full Version : The Chicks+Sony=New Label

Jud
06-17-2002, 04:07 PM
It seems, that the most populat solution for contract-problems is forming a new label.
From www.countrynation.com

Let's be systematic pals
-- It looks as though the Dixie Chicks got the deal they wanted from Sony Entertainment. Both parties today announced that the trio's forthcoming album, Home, will debut at retail on Tuesday, August 27th. The album will be released by the newly formed label Open Wide Records, which was created by the Dixie Chicks and Sony Music.

The first single from Home, "Long Time Gone," was released to radio on May 23rd and immediately began to climb the charts, quickly becoming the fastest moving single in the Dixie Chicks' career.

I'm guessing a ton of up-front money was also involved ( 20-million according to the LA Times ). This new deal comes less than 10 months after the Dixie Chicks accused Sony Corp. of "systematic thievery."

cbspock
06-18-2002, 05:35 AM
So they settled for a 20 million dollar signing bonus, no wonder record companies are in trouble. Wonder if the record company will get a big return on that investment?

...and there is another victim of record companies looking for the quick buck...
-- Chely Wright is out at MCA. What can we tell you, looking sexy doesn't always add up to record sales.

I have all four of her albums, and they are really good. Unlike the other country artists, Chely never crossed over, and this latest album was pushed back by the label, and they really never promoted it.

My question is, why should artists show any loyalty to a label or Nashville in general.

-Chris

kirppu
06-18-2002, 12:41 PM
I hope Chely´s next label will promote her album better.
I was very surprised to know that her latest Never Love You Enough has sold only so little. (can´t remember the exact ampunt, sorry. somewhere around 100 000, a little over, if I remember correctly. sorry if I am too wrong in this)

The style of Chely certainly took a turn, maybe that was not the right decision, who knows?

Well, hopefully she finds a new label soon.

Oh, did I forget the Chicks in this post?
Shame :p

FV
06-18-2002, 01:40 PM
Having your own label has advantages and disadvantages...I am not an expert but my interpretation of this type of solution used by Sony and the Chicks is that The Chicks get more freedom in deciding what type of music they need...but they also pay the distribution and promotion costs in advance since they owe the label...they are betting on their next album to be very successful ...if it is very successful (which is very likely....) they will become really wealthy...otherwise Sony would not have to pay for the costs if the album does not do well enough....

cbspock
06-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Chicks not touring......
DIXIE CHICKS WON'T TOUR THIS YEAR
THE DIXIE CHICKS may release a new album but won't tour until next summer. That's because EMILY ROBISON is pregnant, the baby due in November. Meanwhile, newly married MARTIE MAGUIRE may become with child and NATALIE MAINES hasn't discounted the possibility of a second baby. The three performers could conceivably conceive on a rotating basis and never tour again.
--------------------

And nashville was looking for them to tour too!!

-Chris

FV
06-20-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
The three performers could conceivably conceive on a rotating basis and never tour again.
Does this come from the Chicks' management or is it the journalist's own assumption?:confused:

cbspock
06-20-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by FV

Does this come from the Chicks' management or is it the journalist's own assumption?:confused:

I think it was an interpretation from the person who posted the story on that site.

-Chris