PDA

View Full Version : Shania Centre-Possible Move.

cbspock
11-16-2000, 06:54 AM
Latest from Timmins Press:
Moving Shania centre would be huge cost to taxpayers

Construction continues on the Shania Twain Interpretive Centre at the Gold Mine Tour despite talk it should be moved to Schumacher.

Ken Petersen, chair of the Timmins Economic Development Corporation, and Brian Blahey, chair of the Timmins Gold Mine Tour, released a joint statement Wednesday afternoon explaining the process which was undertaken in the past three years to select the most logical site for the centre.

Several consultants concurred (the Gold Mine Tour) was the best spot, said Petersen.

The Gold Mine Tour was the choice for several reasons. It was chosen because maintenance staff, retail space, food service and road access could be shared between the attractions.

The land was selected because it was already under municipal control. The consultants also concluded a common site would create a mass of operations which would draw more visitors.

The example of Florida was used, citing Disney World was a great tourist site, but when Busch Gardens and Universal Studios developed next door to the Disney site, the area became more marketable.

When someone travels to Timmins, he or she will be more likely to see both the Gold Mine Tour and Shania Centre if they are on the same site. Valuable links also exist with the Hollinger Golf Club with regards to direct roadway access to the downtown.

There would be tremendous repercussions if the project were to move elsewhere, because many aspects have already been completed.

We want to let the public know the consequence of moving, Peterson said. Wed have to redo years of work. There would be a huge cost to taxpayers.

Securing funding for the centre took more than two years. The Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation gave almost $5-million, based on the stipulation the centre be built on the tour site.

A change in venue would likely require a fresh start and re-application for this funding with no guarantees, the release said.

The funding contract stipulates a completion date that could not possibly be met if a different location was chosen.

If the location were to change, geo-technical surveys and environmental studies which take more than two-years would have to be redone. It would also delay revenue generation. New structural and architectural plans plans would have to be redrawn, should the centre move.

With contracts signed, the centre has moved forward to the point where the foundation has been constructed to allow the opening to occur July 1, 2001 with Twain present.

----
At least it looks like it will open on July 1, Canada Day, and Shania is going to be there. Should we actually start planning now?
-chris

DOC BILL
11-16-2000, 07:27 AM
Chris
I'll tell you Chris if this onging presidential election has re-taught me anything it's not to believe everything I hear of see in the media. I'm comfortable waiting for the "final" word and in this case the final word would come from Shania or her representatives. I want to go to the center when Shania is there. Planning for this thing from my perspective and I think from "our" perspective is gona be pretty complicated. I'm suggest cautious optimism at this point.DOC

FV
11-16-2000, 11:54 AM
I share Cbspock's enthusiasm as well as Doc's caution, we have good evidence that they are trying to have the opening on July 1. It is not in stone yet...but it is a start.. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

------------------
Cheers,
FV

tides24
11-16-2000, 12:08 PM
This has been a bit of a surprise. I never heard of any other site proposed for the Centre. The following is part of a letter written by a former candidate for office in
Timmins, outlining the case for the other side.

Anyway, now that Mrs. Stevens-Lim is our new mayor, lets hope that she continues her attack on the old boys club, and we dont see a new boys club.

Perry Rinaldo raised some excellent points about the Shania Twain Centre, and I hope it wasnt just a coincidence that his lawn sprouted a Lim billboard in the last few weeks. Maybe our new mayor is just the person to put the brakes on a good idea in the wrong location. If so, may I add a few ideas of my own, since I have been pushing the change in
location for two years.

1.) Secure government grants to rejuvenate the McIntyre park, turning Lake Welin into a waterfront tourist area with slides, rides, etc.
2.) Use the existing buildings as part of the tour; the headframe makes a natural landmark and tourist attraction, there is an old stope that comes to surface by Pearl Lake, even the old managers housing can be included.
3.) Upgrade the two existing entrances to the area, (by the Chamber of Commerce and by Robins Donuts) and if needed, a third road could easily be punched through to Highway 655.
4.) Get the owners of the Riverside Mini-putt, and raceway to consider moving their operation to the McIntyre.
5.) Utilize the fact that the area is on a major snowmobile route and plan ahead for a winter lodge.
(Maybe thats why she didnt want the igloos in South Porcupine, she was saving them for Schumacher!)
And Ive got lots more where that came from. But Ill save those for another election year.

Steve F
11-16-2000, 12:30 PM
Whoa! It looks like some people don't share our enthusiasm for the ST Centre. Maybe Timmins should have a recount too! I guess you can't please everyone. Sounds like some of the local people are as interested in Shania as those I found on www.getmusic.com. (http://www.getmusic.com.) If you go to the Country Section, they have a message board. Some folks were supportive of Shania, but one guy said Shania Twain could barely sing and wasn't even that great looking. As you might guess, I didn't stay at that site too long. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/mad.gif

------------------
Man, I Feel Like A Real Shania Fan

Steve

cbspock
11-17-2000, 06:47 AM
http://www.timminspress.com/timminspress/NEWS/1117-1.htm

Now they are signing petitions to move the centre.
-chris

tides24
11-17-2000, 12:11 PM
Here's the latest. Why is this coming up NOW?

Residents want Shania Twain centre moved to Schumacher

A large number of city residents voiced their opinions or questioned decisions during a town hall meeting regarding the
location of the Shania Twain interpretive centre. Although many aspects of the interpretive centre project have already been completed, almost 200 concerned or curious
residents from the area crowded the Croatian Hall in Schumacher on Thursday night to get an update on procedures taking place and to sign a petition to be presented to city council at Monday nights meeting.
The petition requests that the city put a hold on construction of the centre until the possibility of erecting it on an alternate site can be investigated in order to ensure that it be erected in the best possible site for long term economic development.
We need to take a stand and tell all the people who sit at councils table and economic development that we have an idea that we would like them to explore, Perry Rinaldo said, while referring to the petition.
The meeting, Rinaldo said in a press release, was held because of an overwhelming response from the public on the issue of moving the interpretive centre from the Gold Mine Tour to the area of the McIntyre Arena.
We know we all feel the same. We were never given the option, never given the choice, because location was never the issue,
Rinaldo, a local resident and real estate agent, told those in attendance.
Rinaldo also said its not the people in Schumacher crying for this (different location), its the people across the community, from the East End to Mountjoy.
Both comments and questions came from the crowd. One man shouted: Its called the Shania Twain Centre has anybody talked to
Shania (about the location)?
While some comments during the town hall meeting caused a lot of debating between the mass of people, others got cheers.
A woman in the crowd suggested that it isnt necessary for both the Gold Mine Tour and the interpretive centre to be at the same site, and that the centre should be moved to the McIntyre area.
However, it took more than two years to secure funding for the centre. The Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation gave almost $5 million, based on the stipulation the centre would be built on the tour site. The funding contract also stipulates a completion date that could not possibly be met if a different location were
chosen.
With contracts already signed, the centre has moved forward to the point where the foundation has been constructed to allow the opening to occur July 1, 2001.

Steve F
11-17-2000, 12:36 PM
Where were these petition people during the past year. I mean all I know is what I have read here, but it seems like they had plenty of time to bring this up. Its been in the Timmins Daily Press constantly. My observation is that these people are not close to Shania, or they wouldn't be trying to sabotage the Centre. I also seriously doubt that the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation will be willing to fork over another $5 million in the near future if this petition becomes valid, Shania or no Shania. So if these people get their way, I guess we can assume the Centre will not become a reality in the near future. This is turning into something about as wonderful as the US Presidential Election!

------------------
Man, I Feel Like A Real Shania Fan

Steve

cbspock
11-17-2000, 08:39 PM
It's time to send mass emails to the timmins press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
We need to support shania and the current location of the centre!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Chris

Roger
11-17-2000, 10:25 PM
I think we should be careful here Chris. I suspect that plans on the building in the current location have gone too far to reverse now but even if they haven't, the location of the centre is a matter for the people of Timmins and area to decide. There is no need to support Shania. She is not under threat. There *will* be a centre in her honour in the one location or the other.

Roger

Originally posted by cbspock:
It's time to send mass emails to the timmins press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
We need to support shania and the current location of the centre!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Chris

whitney
11-17-2000, 10:44 PM
I am with Roger, it is really up to Timmins to determine the best place for the centre. I think it is unfortunate this concerns are coming up soo late in the process, but it is their right to decide. We shouldnt overwhelm them with emails, we should show our support with whatever location is chosen. THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT THE CENTRE WILL BE COMPLETED!!! Still, the trip to Timmins at the centre opening is in jeapordy and that IS IMPORTANT TOO. I havent stated whether I will be able to attent, OBVIOUSLY I WANT TO GO. I have less at stake than many others here, but I think the most important thing is that it is completed!!!

MAYBE THEY WILL PICK A LOCATION WHEN THE US PICKS THE NEXT PRESIDENT!!!!

APPEAL IT TO THE FL SUPREME CT!!!

JK
whit

cbspock
11-17-2000, 10:56 PM
This is getting crazy. Where were these people during the hearing the town held before construction started. Okay, my initial reaction was a little rash. Can't people make up their minds anymore. As to the elections, Gore has lost 3 recounts, its time to do the honorable thing and conceed to Bush. He really is being a cry baby http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif our elections should not be decided in the courts
-chris