PDA

View Full Version : Post critic reviews of Up!

cbspock
11-15-2002, 05:51 AM
Seems we are going to have to put Up! with lame reviews, people dismissing Shania's songwriting, and Mutt's production, and people's very lame attempts at being funny. What an awesome job it must be to be a critic. I wish I could get paid to complain for a living. :p

Shania Twain: Up!
3 stars (Mercury)

Adam Sweeting
Friday November 15, 2002
The Guardian

More pop CD reviews

"The daily grind can freak your mind/But life isn't all that bad," Shania points out in C'est la Vie. Not too bad for her, certainly, a multi-millionairess who can afford to record her new album in Ireland, Italy, the Bahamas and India. It comes in three versions: we Europeans get the mainstream pop and "Latin-Asian" editions (you can spot the latter by its tablas, sitars and bouzoukis), but mercifully we are spared the country version. The whole project is berserk ("I just feel so emotional about it," confides Twain), and the lyrics must have been written by a computer program called Doggerel, but the songs are all idiotically catchy. It's like drowning in digitised bubblegum. But is that so bad?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4546461,00.html

Roger
11-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Here we go again with the supercilious critics! Everyone hates her except the people.

Roger

cbspock
11-15-2002, 11:35 AM
They are breaking out the old COO reviews, and scratching out the title.

-Chris

Roger
11-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by cbspock
They are breaking out the old COO reviews, and scratching out the title.

-Chris

LOL!!

Did you notice Sweeting's phrase "idiotically catchy"? He likes it but hates himself for it!

Roger

Steve F
11-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Time and time again, critics have said that about music. They have also told us that movies and TV programs weren't worth watching, but guess what? They sure were worth it. So to those critics of UP? I say: "stick it in your ear!":mad:

Steve

Gandalf
11-15-2002, 03:38 PM
hey, whoever this guy was, he can shove his review.

See code of conduct please. Make your point without terms/phrases that may offend others :)

froush
11-15-2002, 05:40 PM
If I were ever to write a dictionary of music, here would be two of my entries:

Critic: Someone who makes a living off the genius of others.
Critically acclaimed: The kiss of death, with only rare exceptions, for an album. What this really means is that the critics love it, but the buying public doesn't.

Cheyenne55
11-15-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Gandalf
hey, whoever this guy was, he can shove his review.

See code of conduct please. Make your point without terms/phrases that may offend others :)

To quote the words of Meat loaf

"You took the words right outa my mouth":cool:

tower
11-16-2002, 01:00 PM
The "Guardian"... Hardly the people's paper... I am amazed that they lowered themself to review a "pop" CD. Wait until you see what the "Sun" has to say about it, that reflects mainstream thinking, well most of the time. "Idiotically Catchy" Hmm

Yeah... HE LIKED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

PS what is the digitised bubble gum... Rubbish... NOTHING digitised about the music, all played by REAL MUSICIANS Guardian Critic... remember them.... No obviously not, if this revue is anything to go by.... Think I will go email the Guardian, at least they will know Shania sells newpapers!!! far faster than the usual boreing fare from that publication.

Tom@Sea (bit like that critic - only we are not lost)

PS just emailed the letters page from the link at the top of this thread, reminding Mr Sweeting that "Catchy" is good and 19 tracks x 2 is rather good value for money these days!!!!

AINAHS
11-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by tower
The "Guardian"... Hardly the people's paper... I am amazed that they lowered themself to review a "pop" CD. Wait until you see what the "Sun" has to say about it, that reflects mainstream thinking, well most of the time. "Idiotically Catchy" Hmm

Yeah... HE LIKED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

PS what is the digitised bubble gum... Rubbish... NOTHING digitised about the music, all played by REAL MUSICIANS Guardian Critic... remember them.... No obviously not, if this revue is anything to go by.... Think I will go email the Guardian, at least they will know Shania sells newpapers!!! far faster than the usual boreing fare from that publication.

Tom@Sea (bit like that critic - only we are not lost)

PS just emailed the letters page from the link at the top of this thread, reminding Mr Sweeting that "Catchy" is good and 19 tracks x 2 is rather good value for money these days!!!! Tom - keep this good work up - we may make you our resident wordsmith to newspapers worldwide!:D :D

tower
11-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
Tom - keep this good work up - we may make you our resident wordsmith to newspapers worldwide!:D :D

'tis OK while I am on board the DSV Aquamarine as off shift I have Broadband Internet and no Phone Bills!

We lease "space" on a Telenor Satellite so this "email" travels 56,000 miles to Geostationary Space and back. The "bill" is a lease deal, so use it or not, the company pays the same on data transfer.

They get the same deal on voice calls too, but I think after so many time periods they have to pay extra.

Flat Calm in the Southern Sector of the North Sea today and +18 deg in MID NOVEMBER... what is going on... must be the Shania effect... She is HOT just now for sure.... Go get them Shania!!

Tom @ sea off Essex UK... well ok England.... Nah off UK coast!!!