PDA

View Full Version : Shania to buy South Island property?

rainbow19
04-28-2003, 02:09 PM
The Christchurch Press (NZ) had Shania on the front page today with an article stating that Shania has offered $16 million for a property near Wanaka in the South Island.

Go here to read:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/0,2106,2435530a6009,00.html

I hope it's true!

AINAHS
04-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Country star coming on over?
29 April 2003
By DAVID COURTNEY

Canadian country music star Shania Twain is set to join the landed aristocracy of Wanaka.

The town is abuzz with talk that Twain has offered about $16 million for the picturesque 17,000ha Motutapu Station about a 30-minute drive from Wanaka. Only an application to the Overseas Investment Commission stands between her and station life, the rumour mill says.

Twain is flush with cash after her Come On Over album success, which apparently sold a record-beating 34 million copies worldwide. The backdrop of alps provided by Wanaka will remind Twain of her home in Switzerland where she lives with her husband, Robert John "Mutt" Lange, and their baby.

Motutapu Station is behind Glendhu Bay on Lake Wanaka and has the popular Motutapu River flowing through it.

Twain was in New Zealand about three weeks ago filming a music video in Auckland.

Residents said she had been seen in Wanaka about the same time and had done extensive sightseeing around the area by helicopter.

The station's owners, Hamish and Anna MacKay, were quiet on the prospect of the sale. They said the property was on the market and had not been sold yet. They would not say who was interested in buying it.

Geoff Kerr, of Harcourts Wanaka, said the vendors, purchaser, and his agency had entered into an agreement on the property but it had not been sold. He would not reveal the potential buyer.

A local real estate agent who did not want to be identified said he had heard the property was under offer from Shania Twain. He said news of the purchase had been doing the rounds of Wanaka for the past few days.

He said if the rumoured $16 million offer for the property was true it would be an "outstanding result" for the local property market. The property's listed Government Valuation made in September last year was $4m. According to the property's advertisement, 12,000 stock are grazed on Motutapu.

Councillor Aaron Heath, a Wanaka representative for the Queenstown Lakes District Council, said there was no surprise there was high-profile interest in property around Wanaka.

"Queenstown already attracts plenty of interest and it was only a matter of time before it turned to Wanaka," Mr Heath said.

Overseas Investment Commission (OIC) head Stephen Dawe said the sale of Motutapu was not before the commission at the moment.

It often took weeks for a potential sale to come before it as the parties needed time to gather the relevant information.

Twain was described as an "intensely private person" by New Zealand representatives of her record company, Universal Music

AINAHS
04-28-2003, 02:54 PM
OMG what a place - heaven on earth!!!!!!

http://www.bigjude.com/Motutapu.html

Motutapu...Sacred Island There are many "motu tapu" in the Pacific. This one is generally believed to have been named by Taikehu of the waka Tainui after the the tiny islet of Motutapu which guards the entrance to Muri Lagoon in Rarotonga, farewell point to anyone leaving for Aotearoa/New Zealand, since Kupe established the star path to get here perhaps 1200 years ago. Muri Lagoon was definitely a staging post for some of the giant waka which brought the Maori and the Polynesian system of straight line navigation required those who came from the islands which are now French Polynesia, to go first to Rarotonga to line up their star path. Whatever the source of the name, there were people living on Motutapu when neighbouring volcano Rangitoto( see the picture below) burst out of the sea the sea into fiery life in a deadly pall of ash and smoke, their footprints preserved in the ash layers, be dug up by archeologists 400 years later. Side by side in absolute contrast. Rangitoto, which is separated from Motutapu by a narrow tidal creek now bridged with a causeway, is younger than Westminster Abbey while Motutapu is old, sedimentary and a relic of Gondwanaland. Over its basement rock (greywacke and argillite) are layers of soft sandstones and a mantle of ash from successive volcanic eruptions, not only from Rangitoto. There are 48 volcanoes in the Auckland field most of which have erupted since Motutapu was born. A study in contrasts. Looking across the rolling green fields of Motutapu to bush clad Rangitoto, the brooding island volcano which rose out of the sea about 400 years ago. This schematic shows the closeness of the two islands. The tidal creek between them is so shallow that when Bishop Samuel Marsden tried to sail his cutter through at the begining of last century, it got stuck in the middle and had to be carried out by a team of brawny Maori. Even narrower today having silted up as an result of land clearance and other European activity. The large inlet at the bottom (south) of the schematic is Islington Bay, popular boatie anchorage , commonly known as Drunks after the days when the Gulf scows over-nighted there to let their crews sleep off the effects of Auckland. Thick forest replaced by farming, deer

In pre-European times, Motutapu had a thick canopy of Kauri forest, fringed with Pohutakawa, both of which grew strongly in the volcanic ash, but that all changed in 1869 when the island was bought by John and James Reid. In typical migrant manner, they set out to transform their aquisition, planting English grasses where magnificent forest had once grown, displacing birds, insects and lizards. To entertain their wealthy friends they had shooting parties, for which they imported red deer from England's Windsor Park, ostriches, emus, donkeys, wallabies, opossum and even a buffalo. (James Reid was a friend of Sir George Grey and shared his enthusiasm for importing exotic animals to this mammal-free land.) In recent years, the descendents of the possums they liberated for sport had so over ran neighbouring Rangitoto that they had to be eradicated by aerial poison drops to save the emerging forest. The Reid family kept Motutapu until World War Two when it was taken over by the Army to become part of the ring of fortifications protecting Auckland against possible Japanese invasion. Guns-sites, magazines and radio huts can still be found around Administration Bay but the army is long gone and the old buildings are now leased to the Auckland Outdoor Education Organisation Inc. for use as a school camp. Over 6000 children are hosted annually. Administration Bay, Motutapu Island,showing the underlying rock structure . There's a walkway on Motutapu, taking about three hours to cross the island and back again. Plenty of evidence of the island's earliest human inhabitants can be seen. More than 400 separate archaeological sites have survived the years of pastoral farming and deer, ranging from from sizeable fortified pa, as in Home Bay and Station Bay, to small camps and hamlets.The fortifications on the headlands are easily recognized from the sea.A major revegetation programme is well under way and the island will eventually be returned to bush. Motutapu Island is part of the Hauraki Gulf Maritime Park and is just a short ferry trip from Auckland There are good walks, including one to the summit. For the less agile, a tractor-drawn train. The island is administered by DOC (Department of Conservation) and reached by Fullers' ferries. To choose another island, click here. You are inside "Islands", the Hauraki Gulf website in Aotearoa/ New Zealand. Please explore our links and logic. Places... People... Pirates... Peace... Painters... Prehistoric... Parrots... Plants The Thin Green Line (the Kiwi environmental mailing list) . . Visitor Information office Links, search engines and associated sites....Page design and construction: Judy Voullaire Copyright 1996 ( to the artists, photographers and authors mentioned on this page.)

sas
04-28-2003, 03:38 PM
:HG :HG

I'll Betcha it's true! Heaven on earth to be sure!
Way to go Shania

AINAHS
04-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Here is a map of South Island so you can see where property is:

http://www.backpack-newzealand.com/...outhisland.html

I could not find a close in map of the area - can anyone help on that?

Roger
04-28-2003, 05:18 PM
For the approximate location of Wanaka, see:

http://discovernz.co.nz/driving/smlcalc.html

Wanaka is 117 km northeast of Queenstown. Lake Wanaka is north of the town.

Roger

Jud
04-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Guys, as much as any news about Shania are exciting, please try to consider what is the most important to her and her family, and do not post the pictures of the exact location or property!
Please, try to respect her whish for some privacy!

Roger
04-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Jud
Guys, as much as any news about Shania are exciting, please try to consider what is the most important to her and her family, and do not post the pictures of the exact location or property!
Please, try to respect her whish for some privacy!

I knew this comment was coming. Jud, consider these facts:

1) for 99.99% of the world N.Z. is an unknown and extremely remote place. Showing us basic N.Z. geography is just educative.

2) this story is already out in the N.Z. press. It came out first in Christchurch I think. You can be sure all the Kiwis know very well where Wanaka is already. By contrast, when it became known where Shania's Muskoka cottage is, we did not supply maps because although everyone in the area knows where it is, it never made the press.

3) here is a general point. We go to great lengths to moderate this board. One of the reasons is to protect Shania's privacy. I have always supported this. But Jim Stabile made it clear in yesterday's chat that the official board is not moderated and they do not see a reason to do so. So...if Shania is content with this, why do we worry so much?

Roger

FV
04-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Roger
why do we worry so much?
Because we are not the Official Shania Twain Fan Club website, we are the STNAOFC: we have our own Code of Conduct that we fully support and follow. That article is NOT an interview with Shania where she talks about whether or not she has bought a house anywhere in New Zealand....if Shania does release that type of information herself, no problem, if the information is leaked by the media without Shania's consent, this is NOT OK on this messageboard.

Roger
04-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by FV
Because we are not the Official Shania Twain Fan Club website, we are the STNAOFC: we have our own Code of Conduct that we fully support and follow. That article is NOT an interview with Shania where she talks about whether or not she has bought a house anywhere in New Zealand....if Shania does release that type of information herself, no problem, if the information is leaked by the media without Shania's consent, this is NOT OK on this messageboard.

Actually, FV, my question was ironic. I was not really expressing discontent with your policy but with the official fan club's.

Since this N.Z. story is in the press, I don't really see any harm in leaving it on our board but would you prefer to delete this thread?

Roger

Jud
04-29-2003, 10:20 AM
As you can see, no one deletad/closed the post.
I posted my request for future consideraton of posting about that specific place. Heck, she still not own it, why should it be all over the net?
Personally, I don't see any harm in posting the article. On the other hand, hunting down the pictures of the exact location or the property itself, another thing.
If someone interested to know what is it, where is it, do it for itself, that's fine.
As much as I like/adore Shania, I truly think, her properties are not my business.

rainbow19
04-29-2003, 02:55 PM
I am starting to regret having posted this article. I did not do so to invade Shania's privacy. I did so because I feel proud that she might choose a country like ours to spend time in. In a country like NZ where the population only reached 4 million last Thursday news like this is very exciting. It can help to raise our profile (just like the Lord of the Rings did). I personally don't care where the property is I just think it would be incredible if she spent some of her life here as it would mean we might get more chance to see her live....something which Americans and Canadians can just take for granted.

I'm sorry for any upset or trouble I may have caused but I felt that the Christchurch Press was reputable....and I still certainly hope that there is some truth to the story.

From a very proud New Zealander and one-eyed Cantabrian.

Roger
04-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by rainbow19
I am starting to regret having posted this article. I did not do so to invade Shania's privacy. I did so because I feel proud that she might choose a country like ours to spend time in. In a country like NZ where the population only reached 4 million last Thursday news like this is very exciting. It can help to raise our profile (just like the Lord of the Rings did). I personally don't care where the property is I just think it would be incredible if she spent some of her life here as it would mean we might get more chance to see her live....something which Americans and Canadians can just take for granted.

I'm sorry for any upset or trouble I may have caused but I felt that the Christchurch Press was reputable....and I still certainly hope that there is some truth to the story.

From a very proud New Zealander and one-eyed Cantabrian.

As far as I am concerned you have not invaded Shania's privacy. The cat was already out of the bag.

You also have every right to be proud of your country. I have never enjoyed a country I have visited as much as yours - I love the people, your lifestyles and outlook, your climate, your land. I am not surpised Shania and Mutt would want to have a place there. The only drawback I see to N.Z. is it is just so darn far from North America and Europe.

Roger

FV
04-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by rainbow19
It can help to raise our profile (just like the Lord of the Rings did). I personally don't care where the property is I just think it would be incredible if she spent some of her life here as it would mean we might get more chance to see her live....something which Americans and Canadians can just take for granted.
I totally understand it rainbow..:) This tour should be very broad....really worldwide according to the hints Shania has been giving during her promotion..I am sure you will get to see her in New Zealand!:BL She shot the FAFA video there, she loves the place for sure..;)

cbspock
04-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by FV
I totally understand it rainbow..:) This tour should be very broad....really worldwide according to the hints Shania has been giving during her promotion..I am sure you will get to see her in New Zealand!:BL She shot the FAFA video there, she loves the place for sure..;)

She also shot a second video as well.

-Chris

AINAHS
04-29-2003, 08:20 PM
Which news of is still tightly under wraps unlike her property exploration there. Interesting eh?

cbspock
04-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Shania Wanna Wanaka?
-- Word has it Shania Twain is looking to plop down a wad of dough for digs in New Zeland. According to Stuff.co.nz, she is rumored to have offered about $16 million for the picturesque Motutapu Station near Wanaka, NZ.

According to the property's advertisement, 12,000 stock are grazed on Motutapu.

Twain was in New Zealand about three weeks ago filming a music video in Auckland. Residents said she had been seen in Wanaka about the same time and had done extensive sightseeing around the area by helicopter.

http://www.countrynation.com/

cbspock
04-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Singer rumoured to have bought Motatapu Station
No-one talking on farm sale

By Marjorie Cook
If Canadian country-pop music star Shania Twain has bought the 17,000ha Motatapu Station, near Glendhu Bay, for $16 million, no-one is saying.

The Press newspaper yesterday reported Twain, who lives in Switzerland, and husband Robert John "Mutt" Lange have made the huge offer. The Government valuation is $4 million.

Station owners Anna and Hamish MacKay say they had not met Twain and did not know who had offered to buy their farm.

"We wouldn't have a clue . . . I don't know what to think. You'll have to talk to someone else," Mrs MacKay told the Otago Daily Times.

Harcourts Wanaka manager Jeff Kerr confirmed the property was on the market but declined further comment, citing a confidentiality clause.

The Press also reported Motatapu Station was not before the Overseas Investments Commission at this time. The commission approves real estate sales to foreigners.

Barbara Williams, of Shoot New Zealand, a Queenstown film company, was also tight-lipped. Her company recently filmed a music video in Auckland for two of Twain's new singles.

Twain valued her privacy, Ms Williams said.

"I doubt very much she will come here to live, but she loves New Zealand," she said.

http://www.odt.co.nz/cgi-bin/getitem?date=30Apr2003&object=0429881521&type=html

---------------------

Guess they are learning to keep their mouth's shut.

-Chris

Roger
04-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Something that needs to be explained perhaps is that the N.Z. dollar is weak. One N.Z. dollar = 49 cents US or 72 cents CAN. So when you go there, your dollar goes a loooong way.

So $16 million N.Z. = $7.8 million US or $11.5 million CAN.

Now that is still more pocket change than I possess!

And why the Langes would want to pay so much more than the official valuation is anyone's guess. Yes, yes, I know, it is also none of our business.

Roger

Steve F
04-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Thanks Roger. I was just about to ask how NZ cash converts to US. I don't think this is anything extravagant. Many of the stars pay at least that much for their homes.

Steves

cbspock
04-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Sounds like she is looking for the vacation version of the fortress of solitude she has in Switzerland.

-Chris

cbspock
05-01-2003, 05:24 AM
SHANIA – A KIWI?
When SHANIA was in New Zealand a few weeks back to shoot her video for “Forever and For Always,” she left more than a few fans. She’s also rumoured to have left an offer for a 16 million dollar property! According to the property’s advertisement, the spot, near Wanaka, New Zealand, has 12 thousand stock grazing in it. Residents of the area report many “Twain spottings.” They also say Shania had done extensive sightseeing around the area by helicopter while she was there. Currently, Shania owns a Swiss Chateau with a rumoured 100 rooms. Watch for Shania to grace the cover of the next issue of Maxim magazine.
http://www.cmtcanada.com/cmt_buzz/index.asp#4123

AINAHS
05-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by cbspock
SHANIA – A KIWI?
When SHANIA was in New Zealand a few weeks back to shoot her video for “Forever and For Always,” she left more than a few fans. She’s also rumoured to have left an offer for a 16 million dollar property! According to the property’s advertisement, the spot, near Wanaka, New Zealand, has 12 thousand stock grazing in it. Residents of the area report many “Twain spottings.” They also say Shania had done extensive sightseeing around the area by helicopter while she was there. Currently, Shania owns a Swiss Chateau with a rumoured 100 rooms. Watch for Shania to grace the cover of the next issue of Maxim magazine.
http://www.cmtcanada.com/cmt_buzz/index.asp#4123 Rumored 100 rooms eh? I thought it was common knowledge the chateau has 48 rooms.:D

Jud
05-02-2003, 12:45 PM
I think, this is end of the story:

Shania, don't come on over

By LOUISA CLEAVE and WAYNE THOMPSON
Singer Shania Twain will need Government approval to buy a picturesque station near Lake Wanaka.

Twain, who lives in Switzerland with her producer husband Robert Lange and their baby, is reported to have offered $16 million for the 17,000ha Motatapu Station behind Glendhu Bay on Lake Wanaka.

The tourism drawcard is mainly pastoral lease land and is understood to have a Government valuation of $4 million.

Groups advocating greater public access to South Island high-country lease lands are worried that if Twain - who sold 34 million copies of her album Come on Over - pays such a high premium for this property, it will affect Crown negotiations for reserves and access elsewhere.

The Overseas Investment Commission has to approve a sale if the property is more than 5ha or worth more than $10 million.

Commission chief executive Stephen Dawe said an overseas buyer would usually make an application before a sale went unconditional.

A buyer would have to show the investment was a "substantial and identifiable" benefit to New Zealand.

"It can't just be used as a place to come and stay."

Wanaka locals are either staying silent about their new resident - or are just as much in the dark as everyone else.

Arthur Scaife, father of station owner Sally Mackay, said he had never heard of Twain.

Wanaka Harcourts agent Geoff Kerr said there was a conditional agreement on the property, but would not say whether Twain was the buyer.

The station is regarded as an unspoiled tourism gem for Central Otago. It features a 1.2ha perennial flower garden developed by Sally Mackay, and includes the Motatapu Chasms, a craggy area that is a favourite of climbers and Wanaka campers.

The station also hosts a commercial mountain biking operation.

The prospect of the sale was condemned last night by Mike Floate of the Federation of Mountain Clubs.

He said the station was the key to a "wonderful" alternative route from Wanaka across a saddle to Arrowtown, used by mountain bikers, four-wheel-drive enthusiasts and walkers.

He was concerned about public access to the property if the sale went ahead.

"Sometimes overseas owners do not understand the Kiwi tradition of allowing public access to beautiful places on their land."

Bruce Mason, of Public Access New Zealand, said last night that if the $16 million price was correct, he would be extremely concerned.

Such a grossly inflated price over the Government valuation could mean the buyers had high expectations of what development they could do.

Pastoral leases had strict limitations on change of land use.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3452571&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

Roger
05-02-2003, 01:03 PM
This may or may not be the end of the story but one thing is for sure. The Langes' usual desire for privacy and the Kiwi tradition of allowing public access to the property are at odds.

Roger

cbspock
05-02-2003, 04:54 PM
It's like what happened in NY. They couldn't build a studio, so they moved, and the public would not leave them alone.

-Chris

Stan
05-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Actually Chris they were able to build the studio in New York, but when it came to building their home, they weren't allowed to.
They had an old hotel on the point of their property torn down so that they could build their home. They did build the studio, but it apparently breached some environmentally sensitive property.. and they had to restore that part of the property and apparently were fined $25K. They did finish up the studio, and ended up making the studio their residence as well, since they couldn't get the permit to build their home on the land where the old hotel was. They had 3000 acres of property there. Unfortunately they decided to sell the property because of the problems and privacy issues.
Stan