Shania Boards

Shania Boards (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/index.php)
-   The Former Shania Centre in Timmins (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Shania & Olympic Torch: Photos, VIdeos & Stories! (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/showthread.php?t=21598)

Sheri 01-02-2010 01:28 AM

The size isn't quite right for my screen, but I don't care. FV, that pic of her is just gorgeous, and is now my wallpaper even if it is just a smidge distorted on my screen.

cbspock 01-02-2010 08:43 AM

I'll be using those pics and some taken here for
my January and february calendars. I'll be updating my site next week when I get back from Timmins.

It was really great to see Shania get this opportunity to carry the torch for her hometown and not have to do it by herself, Fred and eja were there to see.

-Chris

cbspock 01-02-2010 08:57 AM

From daily press

"I say go for your dreams, never lose hope and hold on to spirit," she said. "Not just of your hometown, although Timmins has a fantastic home spirit, of course it does, and I think I carry that with me everywhere I go.

-chris

FV 01-02-2010 10:08 AM

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/torch/new...e+blinded+light

Between a star and a flame, blinded by the light

When the tiny, pretty brunette known by just one name in these parts came jogging toward the Olympic cauldron Friday night, of course the crowd in Timmins cheered. "Welcome home, Shania," one man called. But among the throngs who gathered to see the flame go by and celebrate a hometown superstar, there was one young woman who was especially excited.

After all, if it weren't for Shania Twain, 27-year-old Andrea O'Callaghan wouldn't live in Timmins. And she would never have met the man she's about to marry.

Her first visit was six years ago - what Ms. O'Callaghan sheepishly calls "my freaky stalker fan moment." Then living in east end Toronto, where she was born and raised, she drove the eight hours to Timmins and lined up overnight to meet the country singer at a short appearance, before turning around and doing the trip all over again to get her autograph at another event in Hamilton, 750 kilometres away.

"I was wearing the same clothes," she said, laughing. It was the briefest glimpse possible of Timmins, no time for a romance. But the next time would be different.

She came that summer for a convention at the 12,000-square-foot Shania Twain Centre, which sits atop a small hill in a sleepy corner of town. The modern, soaring temple to all things Shania opened nine years ago, but it still has that new building smell - and compared to its largesse, the modest gold mining museum out back (the original attraction on this spot) is almost an afterthought. In the same way, Timmins may have been built by the gold beneath its streets, but outside of this part of the North and in countries far away, its name and fame have everything to do with Shania.

For Ms. O'Callaghan and her fiancé, Rene Gaudreau, it was a simple story. He worked at the convention. They sat at the same tables at lunch, got to know each other, exchanged e-mail addresses. A visit here and there when she returned to finish her studies at the University of Toronto.

"I was only going to move here for a year," she said, recalling the day three years ago when she packed up her life in Toronto and headed north. "And then I never left. Timmins takes over."

Now Ms. O'Callaghan works at the Centre, which fittingly serves both as a tourist attraction dedicated to the singer and as a community hall.

"The recognition Shania brings to Timmins is amazing," said Tracy Hautanen, the manager of the Centre. "We get people from Finland who come here because she said, ‘Visit my hometown, it's a great place to go.'."

The Centre greets between 5,000 and 7,000 people per year.

"Because we bring people in, it contributes to the local economy," said Anne MacDonald, a member of the board.

The four staff members also spread the gospel of Timmins. And they have one tool to do it: the Shania mobile. Formally, it's the City of Timmins van, but nobody calls it that. A picture of the singer's face is plastered to each side, along with a photograph of the other symbol of the town: a gold mine headframe. Every June, Ms. O'Callaghan and Ms. Hautanen pile into the Shania mobile and head to Nashville for the CMA Music Festival, a country fan gathering. There, they set up a booth, and invite people way, way up to Timmins.

"They market for the North," Ms. MacDonald said. "You've got to entice people to come North, period. And then you get them to see the attractions."

It's a highlight of the year for Ms. Hautanen, even though it's hard to stop in a parking lot without being held up by people who want their picture taken with the van. And she has to be careful not to speed, she said.

"It doesn't blend in with traffic."

For Ms. O'Callaghan, driving that van to Nashville means the transformation is complete. Not only has the Scarborough native made her home in Timmins, she's gotten downright evangelical about her town and the people in it.

Friday night she stood among them, a dancing mass whose breath rose in great steaming waves into the sharp air, as the person who brought her here came running through.

"Timmins has a fantastic hometown spirit," Ms. Twain said after she lit the cauldron. "I carry that with me wherever I go."

If Ms. O'Callaghan is any indication, it's infectious.

The wedding will be in Timmins, in August. ("We had to make sure it was the weekend after the convention.") The city folk will just have to make the drive.

FV 01-02-2010 10:12 AM

http://www.timminspress.com/Article....aspx?e=2244680

Shania fires up torch
THE OLYMPICS: Huge crowd greets flame and Twain at Hollinger Park
Posted By CHELSEY ROMAIN THE DAILY PRESS
Posted 2 hours ago

Not even the most frigid temperatures could keep Timmins from showing off its community spirit as the Olympic flame made its way through the city on its way to Vancouver.

Thousands waited in Hollinger Park as country singing superstar Shania Twain made her way on the torch's final 300 metres of the Timmins leg. They all cheered as the precious flame lit the Olympic cauldron on stage.

Officials estimate anywhere between 7,000 and 9,000 people attended the celebration on New Year's Day. Many others lined the torch's route from Porcupine through Timmins.

The crowd erupted as Twain made her way into Hollinger Park toward the stage. She proudly carried the torch and lit the cauldron, before taking a few moments and speaking to the crowd, as her son Eja, looked on, waving from the front of the crowd.

"This is so fantastic, it's pretty overwhelming," Twain said. "I know we could have probably had warmer weather, but in a way it just feels really beautiful to be back up North in the cold.

"I know that sounds crazy, but it wouldn't be Timmins if it wasn't 40 below with the wind chill."

Twain went on to say that the fact that all those people stood out in the crowd in the freezing weather only proves the spirit people from the North have.

She wished luck to all Olympians, and said how happy she was to be back in her hometown.

"I'm honoured," said Twain. "I'm extremely proud and it's a highlight of my life to be able to be here to carry the torch."

When asked how she felt about the Olympics themselves being held in her home country, Twain said that no matter where she has travelled in the world, Canadians are much loved, and that is something Canadians should be proud of.

She also had some words of encouragement for all those out there in Timmins, both young and young at heart.

"I say go for your dreams, never lose hope and hold on to spirit," she said. "Not just of your hometown, although Timmins has a fantastic home spirit, of course it does, and I think I carry that with me everywhere I go.

"But just be yourself and take that with you wherever you go, that's what's most important."

Interactive displays, and entertainment provided by the community, as well as the Vancouver Olympic Committee and sponsors Coca-Cola and RBC, kept the crowd warm, dancing and singing, as they patiently awaited the torch's arrival.

Local celebration committee chairman Timmins Police Service Sgt. Al Richardson said minus a glitch with the stage, organizers were thrilled with how things turned out.

"We're absolutely excited, we had a few technical difficulties to begin the stage was broken when it came across Canada - it's a little too cold for it up here," Richardson said, "This is huge, to be part of the Olympic spirit to have this stop in our community.

"It's once in a lifetime for Timmins, and our citizens, I'm almost speechless."

For one Timmins student, being able to carry the torch, and even receive a hug from Twain, was a moment of a lifetime.

Fifteen-year-old Timmins High and Vocational student Riley Kolisnyk, was able to hand off the torch to Twain at the corner of Algonquin Blvd. and Brunette Rd.

"This is wonderful, amazing, I can't believe it," he said. "I don't know how to explain it. It's emotional."

Riley is a long-distance track runner. He said being able to be a part of the Olympic experience was a great experience.

"It's the best thing ever," said Riley. "It was such an honour."

'A REAL TROOPER'

MP Charlie Angus (NDP - Timmins-James Bay), as well as Mayor Tom Laughren were both a part of the ceremony, and Angus said Timmins is a community that knows the importance of community spirit.

"When you look at a world with so much heartbreak and violence, the Olympic flame reminds us that we can come together to be something more," Angus said. "Here in Timmins, where so many people from so many countries came to build a life, it is a symbol."

Laughren said that the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge taking place at the same time as the torch relay, only further proves what the city is capable of achieving.

"When you see the atmosphere of the torch being carried in, it really makes you reflect on what the Olympics mean not only to the world, but specifically to Canadians and the people in Timmins," Laughren said.

"We're very, very proud, and we're very glad things have worked out."

Laughren's speech was met with roars from the crowd as he mentioned Timmins long ties with the Olympics.

Acknowledging the efforts of Timmins Olympians Laurie and Kathy Kriener, as well as Jason Gervais, Laughren said Timmins is no stranger to the spirit of the Olympics.

Much discussion took place in the community regarding who was chosen to carry the torch on its last leg in Timmins, and Laughren said there was no shortage of people the city could have chosen. However, only one was allowed.

"We wanted to ensure we had a great event and that we had people to come out," said Laughren, who only met the singing sensation for the first time yesterday.

"For Shania to come back to her hometown and do this for us is really remarkable and in this weather we can't thank her enough.

"I have to say she's a real trooper."

AINAHS 01-02-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
I'll be using those pics and some taken here for
my January and february calendars. I'll be updating my site next week when I get back from Timmins.

It was really great to see Shania get this opportunity to carry the torch for her hometown and not have to do it by herself, Fred and eja were there to see.

-Chris

You are making it a real visit there, eh?

Steve F 01-02-2010 02:16 PM

A vote of thanks to Spock & FV!!!! :) Great going to get all this for us fans not fortunate enough to be there.

Steve

AINAHS 01-02-2010 03:54 PM

Twain donates torch to the Shania Centre -- new photos in article

http://www.timminstimes.com/Article....aspx?e=2244801

FV 01-02-2010 05:36 PM

Some more photos from official website:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/torch/ind...ilyPhotos/Day64

FV 01-02-2010 05:47 PM

Good video from the run yesterday and the crowd waiting for Shania....

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/va...2/12327031.html

cbspock 01-02-2010 06:00 PM

Tracy also got to run with the torch. There is a YouTube video can someone find the link and post?

-Chris

amanda122 01-02-2010 06:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZYBBNBdZnc
Tracy running

rgaudreau 01-02-2010 09:56 PM

It truly was a great event minus the blistering cold! Was neat to see that article online about Andrea and I. I bought a copy of the paper for us to keep today.

Ren

rgaudreau 01-03-2010 10:46 AM

Here are some pictures I took yesterday of Shania handing over the torch to the STC.

cbspock 01-03-2010 10:50 AM

Very nice!!! :)

-Chris