Shania Boards

Shania Boards (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/index.php)
-   World Tour and Las Vegas Residency 2019-20 (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Cargary: Still the One! (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/showthread.php?t=12145)

Jud 12-05-2003 05:08 AM

Cargary: Still the One!

Friday, December 5, 2003

Shania fans Up! for show
Sold-out crowd loves Twain

By LISA WILTON, CALGARY SUN

Thousands OF Shania Twain fans were feeling pretty Up! last night after attending the Canadian superstar's sold-out Saddledome concert.

But 11-year-old Kaysha Nelson was especially excited about Shania's show, as she was able to get up close and personal with the 38-year-old native of Timmins, Ont.

Nelson was the lucky winner of the Sun's Get Up! Close with Shania contest.

In addition to two front-row seats, Nelson was given a camera to shoot the concert (watch for her photos on www.calgarysun.com) and got a sneak-peek of the show during the singer's soundcheck yesterday afternoon.

"It's been cool and exciting," says Nelson, who also received a VIP limo service and a Twain CD library.

While concert-goers weren't able to buy Twain's music at the 'Dome, there were several other items they could blow their paycheques on.

A Shania poster was the cheapest at $15, while the hockey jersey went for a wallet-denting $120. Fans could also pick up a black toque ($40), T-shirts ($43), zip-up hoodie ($90) and a Shania calendar ($20).

"It's worth it," said a shivering 29-year-old Jason Coutts of Calgary, standing outside the venue clutching a black T-shirt in one hand and a cigarette in the other. "I just paid rent, so I didn't have enough money for anything else but this ... I would have bought it all. She's so talented and so beautiful."

That sentiment was shared by many, including Harlow and Lori Otto, who drove 4 1/2 hours from their ranch in Elk Water to attend the concert.

"We wouldn't miss this for the world," said Lori.

"For a Canadian to do what she's done, to get into the American market, is tremendous," her husband said.

Though Twain has been criticized for watering down country music and dragging it into realm of mainstream pop, the couple said she has nothing to apologize for.

"You gotta have variety and that's what she's providing," he said.

"You'll never take the country totally out of her."

It was the first time the couple had seen Twain live in concert and Lori hoped it would be a spectacle -- at least fashion-wise.

"I don't want to see any of the sweat-shirty stuff she wore to the Grey Cup," she said. "I want to see some hot clothes."

Paulette Truman of Brooks was also looking forward to seeing what styles Shania had in store.

"For that age, she's got it," Truman exclaimed.

http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-12-05-0014.html

Jud 12-05-2003 05:11 AM

GOTCHA GOOD

Friday, December 5, 2003

Shania receives warm welcome from Calgary fans
By ANIKA VAN WYK, SHOWBIZ EDITOR

This Twain has lost some of its steam.

Compared to previous visits, Shania's sold-out show last night at the Pengrowth Saddledome didn't impress as much.

Twain struggled vocally and the dynamite energy we've seen at previous concerts, and recently on numerous award shows, was definitely lacking.

Even when she high-fived audience members close to the stage, it lacked spark.

She made good use of the circular stage (similar to the one the Dixie Chicks played on recently), but Twain's step definitely lacked bounce.

Despite those weaknesses, her show didn't derail. Even a drained Shania can put on a better than average show.

This Canadian superstar knows what fans want -- and she delivers.

Twain first appeared by rising out of the centre of the stage wearing a Flames jersey and singing Man! I Feel Like A Woman.

The pyrotechnics blasted even before the Timmins, Ont. native got to the first chorus.

Other fan-friendly tricks included signing autographs while she sang Don't Be Stupid. And, after performing a medley of her hits, she brought two lucky fans onto the stage who had purchased a $2 ticket that raised money for the Breakfast for Learning charity.

While she had them centre stage, Twain signed their t-shirts and posed for a photograph with them.

Later, during the song Woman In Me, she and a guitarist appeared in the audience to sing the ballad.

Also elevating the show was her impressive eight-piece band.

The members have been with Twain since her last tour here and are not only talented musicians, they're solid entertainers in their own right.

They made the choreography look natural and, at one point, the three fiddle players even had pyro blasting out of their instruments.

Twain kept the banter to a minimum last night, so she did admit: "It's plain great to be back in Canada. It's great to be back here. It's a beautiful part of the country."

Twain also admitted her band members -- who hail from Canada, the U.S. and Australia -- were complaining about the weather, but she was having no trouble with the lower temperatures.

"I like the nice cool air. I love it. This is nothing. It's going to get a lot freakin' colder."

The packed Saddledome crowd was definitely not cold towards Twain. They sang and danced along right from the beginning. One pre-teen seated near this scribe didn't stop jumping the entire time.

For the fans in the nose-bleed seats, there were huge screens set up around the jumbotron that had the best feature film picture quality seen in a long time.

Let's hope that Shania catches her breath and gets re-energized before she makes her rumoured return engagement on June 14 this summer.

Alberta's own Emerson Drive was in overdrive last night as they opened the show.

They didn't even let the fact that the crowd apparently can't tell time -- and continued to stream in throughout their entire half-hour set -- drain their enthusiasm.

The six-piece band sounded as cool as they looked, singing their own hits such as I Should Be Sleeping and classics such as Merle Haggard's 1969 song Silver Wings (which is older than all of the Emerson Drive band members).

The Grande Prairie boys have a hip way of melding country tunes with a pop-rock sensibility.
http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryToday/cs.cs-12-05-0121.html

cbspock 12-05-2003 06:57 AM

Shania sounds like she is still tired.

Shania would love the weather here today in NY, it is freakin cold!!! It is gonna snow too.

-Chris

Jud 12-05-2003 09:31 AM

Mmm, baby! Shania's UP

Friday, December 05, 2003

Diva's bubbly tunes, easy rapport get crowd every time

Heath McCoy
Calgary Herald
Review

Shania Twain and opening act Emerson Drive performed Thursday at Pengrowth Saddledome. The show was sold out.

Attendance about 17,500.

It's hard not to smile when you've had the Shania Twain experience. Whether you're a Shania-maniac -- as about 17,500 gleeful fans clearly were Thursday night at the Saddledome -- or, say, a skeptical critic who finds the country-pop diva from Timmins, Ont., to be rather silly, you've got to at least crack a smile.

If nothing else, the reaction of her audience is too cute to be true.

From the milli-second Twain appeared Thursday, sprinting from her dressing room to the stage, which sat in the middle of the 'Dome, she had the crowd positively giddy.

Polite, family-friendly mayhem it was, but the excitement in the air was undeniable.

As her nine-piece band launched into the synth-coated fiddles at the kickoff of Man! I Feel Like A Woman! pre-schoolers played cheerleader in the aisles, as did dolled-up teens. Overjoyed mothers and their daughters sang along to every word; even grandparents were clapping their hands and grinning from ear to ear.

Dressed in blue jeans and a Calgary Flames jersey, Twain, 38, then served up the pop Hallmark card, Up! followed by the squaredancey bubble gum jingle, Honey, I'm Home.

Further tunes included the singalong new-country of Love Gets Me Every Time, the genuinely irresistible Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under? and the anthem She's Not Just A Pretty Face, which came off as a sort of barnyard Def Leppard.

The funny thing is, the show revealed Twain to be a fairly mediocre talent. Her voice is pleasant but it's also quite thin. That's apparent on her ballads.

Her moves are textbook arena rock stuff and her dancing is less than outstanding.

She didn't even deliver as much as expected with the costume changes. When she finally did change into a tight turquoise halter top and slacks nearly an hour into the show, one man said jokingly: "It's about time. No belly button and I'm outta' here."

As for her tunes, yeah they're catchy, but so was Loverboy's catalogue, and Twain owes more to those rock cheeseballs than she does to, say, Dolly Parton.

Basically, she's all about a lite-hearted good time. She offers up her feisty, independent woman message with a wink and a smile.

She was most impressive in the rapport she created with her audience.

At one point Twain appeared in the stands to serenade her fans up-close and personal with the ballad The Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You). She went into the crowd again later to sing with a pair of little girls. She even brought out drummers from the Calgary Stampede Show Band to accompany her on (If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!

It all plays into her image. The down-to-earth, dream-girl next door who just happened to turn into a superstar overnight but never let it go to her head. It's an image her adoring fans ate up Thursday.

As for the Grande Prairie lads done good in Emerson Drive, they made for a fitting opening act for Twain with their candied Bon Jovi meets Garth Brooks tunes and arena-ready moves.

The Alberta boys got a mildly enthusiastic reception, but ultimately they had their work cut out for them, thousands of folks filing in late, and let's face it, waiting with baited breath for Twain.

And those folks left smiling.

hmccoy@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright 2003 Calgary Herald

http://www.canada.com/calgary/story...03-2DB3CE402A8C

Jud 12-05-2003 09:41 AM

Twain's hit parade

Nick Lewis
Calgary Herald

1) Man! I Feel Like A Woman! Man, I feel, like, a palpitation coming on as it took me 75 minutes to cab 12 blocks to get here. It seems like all of Calgary is in this building. Shania runs out in a red Flames jersey, jeans that look like blue hospital pants and glitter sneakers.

2) Up! It's now apparent that Shania is really singing and not lip-synching, which is impressive because she sounds close to what she does on record.

3) Honey, I'm Home: Shania walks around the circular stage, which she shares with close to 10 backing musicians, waving at fans. Fireworks burst from the corners of the stage at midpoint.

4) C'est La Vie: "This is for everyone who hates Mondays," she says as she introduces it. It sounds like ABBA's Dancing Queen.

5) Love Gets Me Every Time: "All right, hello Calgary! It is great to be here, it's a beautiful part of the country. The band feels a little nippy, but I like it . . . The last time I was here I brought my horse, but I wasn't able to bring him this time." I hate when I can't take my horse on business trips.

6) She's Not Just A Pretty Face: Shania circles around the middle of the stage, playing off her strutting guitarist.

7) Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You): The concealed fans on the bottom of the stage kick in and her hair starts to blow playfully. Shania walks around, accepts roses from the audience and signs autographs while singing.

8) Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?: The holder of ticket number 889438 is called up on stage for Shania to personally thank for buying a ticket, a portion going toward buying kids' lunches at school.

9) Forever And For Always: Shania introduces each member of her band to the audience before the song as she leaves the stage to change clothes. Shania rises from the bottom of the stage seated on a stool that revolves around the audience. She's wearing a turquoise halter top and black capri pants.

10) (Not sure) Not sure of the song's name, but the chorus goes, "Nobody's perfect."

11) Medley -- When/ You Win My Love/ Come On Over/ I'm Holdin' On To Love (To Save My Life): The people around me have a quick discussion. Has Shania ever been on Mr. Blackwell's worst dressed list? Where do you send in nominations?

12) The Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You): Shania meets ticket holder 889438, which is either Edward or Diane. The three get a picture together. Shania leaves and reappears a few minutes later sitting in the audience with a guitarist.

13) That Don't Impress Me Much!: Shania runs to the stage from the crowd as people cheer when hearing the opening riffs.

14) I'm Gonna Getcha Good!: Man! I feel like I've blown my exclamation point quota for the year. She uses her exclamation points as haphazardly as Elaine Benes on Seinfeld. A couple of kids in the audience sing with her.

15) In My Car (I'll Be The Driver): Shania struts around the stage.

16) (If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!: Twelve members of the Stampede Showband come up to back Shania on this with marching drums. At the end, band members hoist Shania on their shoulders as she descends into the sinking stage.

Encore

17) You're Still The One: Shania returns wearing a home Hitmen jersey. She high-fives people in the audience as she walks around.

18) Any Man Of Mine: Most of the crowd is standing and either clapping or dancing or both.

19) Rock This Country!: More people clapping and dancing. The show ends after an hour and 45 minutes.

nlewis@theherald.canwest.com
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calga...0A-2F1B243171DF

jen 12-05-2003 09:49 AM

Re: GOTCHA GOOD

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Twain first appeared by rising out of the centre of the stage wearing a Flames jersey and singing Man! I Feel Like A Woman.

:eek: OMG please, do not tell me that she has changed how she opens the show for this next part of the tour already. Has anyone else from the recent shows know if Shania has changed her opening from the last? I hope maybe just for Canada......I will be a little disapointed if I do not get to see her appearing with the screen:(

Jud 12-05-2003 10:07 AM

The answer is no:

Quote:
From the milli-second Twain appeared Thursday, sprinting from her dressing room to the stage, which sat in the middle of the 'Dome, she had the crowd positively giddy.

jen 12-05-2003 10:24 AM

PHEW!!!!!!!! THANX! I know she may change how she opens but I just want to see the original way 1st:)

FV 12-05-2003 11:12 AM

Re: Mmm, baby! Shania's UP

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
The funny thing is, the show revealed Twain to be a fairly mediocre talent. Her voice is pleasant but it's also quite thin. That's apparent on her ballads.

Another critic who spent the concert at the bar of the arena I see....:rolleyes:

FV 12-05-2003 03:35 PM

Re: Mmm, baby! Shania's UP

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud

Diva's bubbly tunes, easy rapport get crowd every time

Heath McCoy
Calgary Herald
Review

hmccoy@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright 2003 Calgary Herald

http://www.canada.com/calgary/story...03-2DB3CE402A8C

With photo too..:)

Country vixen Shainia Twain flashes team colours at her show Thursday night at the 'Dome

AINAHS 12-05-2003 04:35 PM

..vixen? ..this is is Oxford's definition:

vixen

noun a female fox.

n a spiteful or quarrelsome woman.
—DERIVATIVES

vixenish adjective

—ORIGIN late Middle English fixen, perhaps from the Old English adjective fyxen 'of a fox'. The v- is from the form of the word in southern English dialect.

..I guess Oxford Dictionary is a little out of date on definitions...

...no phan fotos?:eek: :eek:

..from thesaurus.com

3 entries found for vixen.
Entry: flirt
Function: noun
Definition: tease
Synonyms: coquette, cruiser, gold digger, heartbreaker, operator, philanderer, player, seducer, siren, swinger, tease, trap, trifler, vamp, vixen, wanton, wolf, wolverine
Concept: social entity
Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)

Entry: hag
Definition: biddy
Synonyms: bag, battle-ax, beldam, biddy, crone, fishwife, fury, gorgon, harpy, harridan, Jezebel, Medusa, ogress, shrew, slattern, sorceress, termagant, virago, vixen, witch
Concept: unsocial entity

Entry: shrew
Definition: mean lady
Synonyms: amazon, backbiter, battle-ax, biddy, *****, calumniator, carper, detractor, dragon, fire-eater, fishwife, fury, harpy, harridan, hell cat, hellion, hussy, madcap, muckraker, nag, ogress, old biddy, porcupine, reviler, scold, she-devil, she-wolf, siren, spitfire, termagant, tigress, virago, vituperator, vixen, wench
Concept: unsocial entity

....all in all "vixen" may not be appropriate in describing Shania, eh?

dax 12-05-2003 07:56 PM

Shania was on the CTV news channel,the showed a short clip of her in Calgary;)

corran 12-05-2003 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
Shania sounds like she is still tired.

Shania would love the weather here today in NY, it is freakin cold!!! It is gonna snow too.

-Chris

Chris

I wonder if Shania Twain still has that cold...This certainly don't sound like Shania Twain to be run down like that....She usually has plenty of energy...He also noticed that Shania Twain was not hitting her high notes like she usually does...I would have thought she would be over it by now...But I think Shania got the same thing that I got...It took me three weeks to get over it and I still have residual effects from it but I am a lot older than Shania...I would have thought that she has recovered from her cold....

Benjamin

kirppu 12-06-2003 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by corran
Chris

I wonder if Shania Twain still has that cold...This certainly don't sound like Shania Twain to be run down like that....She usually has plenty of energy...He also noticed that Shania Twain was not hitting her high notes like she usually does...I would have thought she would be over it by now...But I think Shania got the same thing that I got...It took me three weeks to get over it and I still have residual effects from it but I am a lot older than Shania...I would have thought that she has recovered from her cold....

Benjamin
Yeah, could be she still has the cold. When I get cold I usually end up with sinus infection too, and it could take a long time to get over it. :(

olgap 12-07-2003 11:51 AM

Pretty cool reviews, some of these people still have no clue about anything Shania does or represents to the rest of the breathing world!!!