Shania Boards

Shania Boards (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/index.php)
-   Shania in the news (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Nashville could benefit from a little more honesty (http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/showthread.php?t=19018)

cbspock 12-01-2005 07:13 AM

Nashville could benefit from a little more honesty

Nashville is trying to skew younger these days. It seems record sales are down, particularly with listeners younger than 35.
The Country Music Association Awards were held in New York a couple of weeks ago as part of this push. It was actually just the centerpiece of the week-long "Country Takes NYC" event, billed as a five-borough celebration of country music. How's that for a mash-up?

All week in the Big Apple, pop-oriented stars like Keith Urban were held up as what country music really sounds like. I'm afraid that in this attempt to skew, country is going to skewer itself by adding more lacquer to an already overly glossy sound.

Instead, they ought to try a little realism. Labels should let artists be a little more raw, rely less on formulaic production and find more artists who sing their own songs (instead of ones churned out by Music Row-bot songwriters).

I'm not talking about dumping the gloss. It works, and it's here to stay. Shania Twain sells loads of records because — for reasons beyond me — people like her songs. :rolleyes:

But there are artists right under Nashville's nose who could make a demographic difference. A lot of them sing the "red dirt" music I wrote about two weeks ago but are ignored by Music Row. Dierks Bentley and Gretchen Wilson are great examples of two no-B.S. acts who've hit the mainstream. They're the kinds of acts Nashville should push more of if it wants younger fans.

People in their 20s and 30s see right through media gloss and dig what's real. What is real? Depends, but in general it's music doesn't seem trite or contrived I guess that is why Shania sells

True story: I have a few friends in their mid-20s who listen to (mostly) one Springfield radio station. They're big fans of old-time blues, underground hip-hop and indie rock. Their station of choice? BASS Country, the "classic country" station that plays Willie, Waylon and Dolly.

The underlying connection in all those forms of music is honesty. The songs and artists seem real. It's nothing more than that, and it's what Generation X and Generation Y, or whatever letter we're on now, wants to hear.

All this is long-term but here's an easier place to start: "Monday Night Football." Each week Hank Williams Jr. and Tim McGraw are on national TV doing their industry a disservice singing corny music. Hank Jr. (whom I like — no, really) sings the intro, "Are You Ready For Some Football?" (which I hate). At halftime, McGraw sings stilted lyrics about NFL highlights to the tune of his song, "I Like It, I Love It."

Tim, I want no more of it. You hear me? None. Nada.

Contact columnist Michael Brothers at 836-1210 or at mbrothers@News-Leader.com. I say let's fill his email!!!!

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbc...STS04/512010330

Will they ever stop spinning???

-Chris

AINAHS 12-01-2005 09:31 AM

...not as long as they are breathing...

Steve F 12-01-2005 11:03 AM

Dierks Bentley and Gretchen Wilson are great examples of two no-B.S. acts who've hit the mainstream

Don't know about the no BS? Maybe we should delete the "no"! :rolleyes:

Steve

AINAHS 12-01-2005 06:07 PM

........indubitably.............

Cheryl 12-01-2005 07:23 PM

I feel the same way also, Steve! :rolleyes: I also love how some of these journalists always want to use Shania as a bad influence on country! If it wasn't for her or Garth, their records sales would probably be even worse and they are the ones that brought more people to country!!! He also says something about being honest and real! Shania isn't!! If anybody is real, it is her and she lived it!!!! I would like to see some of these people live the life she did and do what she did and then I think they would keep their mouths shut, maybe if we were lucky! :rolleyes: Idiots!!!!!

Sheri 12-01-2005 11:01 PM

I dropped a brief e-mail. ;)

cbspock 12-01-2005 11:03 PM

Guess he is going to find out how many people like Shania, and I would include where on the planet you are from.

-Chris

jen 12-02-2005 12:27 AM

Yeah I sent this out to a couple of my email buddies and they are going to respond as well :)

Steve F 12-02-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
I feel the same way also, Steve! :rolleyes: I also love how some of these journalists always want to use Shania as a bad influence on country! If it wasn't for her or Garth, their records sales would probably be even worse and they are the ones that brought more people to country!!! He also says something about being honest and real! Shania isn't!! If anybody is real, it is her and she lived it!!!! I would like to see some of these people live the life she did and do what she did and then I think they would keep their mouths shut, maybe if we were lucky! :rolleyes: Idiots!!!!!

Nice post Cheryl. I totally agree. I think without Shania and Garth we would be looking at a very small genre in the music business. It would be much as it was prior to them. Back before their time there was only occassional crossover happenings, and nothing like they have been since Shania and Garth. Let's face it, Kenny, Keith, Gretchen, Faith, etc., all owe a lot to Shania and Garth for their success today. These two paved the way for them to do what they want. :)

Steve

AINAHS 12-02-2005 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F
Nice post Cheryl. I totally agree. I think without Shania and Garth we would be looking at a very small genre in the music business. It would be much as it was prior to them. Back before their time there was only occassional crossover happenings, and nothing like they have been since Shania and Garth. Let's face it, Kenny, Keith, Gretchen, Faith, etc., all owe a lot to Shania and Garth for their success today. These two paved the way for them to do what they want. :)

Steve
I think you are forgetting about a whole lot of history my friend..there were a whole lot of crossover successes in the past decades...

Cheryl 12-02-2005 07:34 PM

Yeah, you are right, Ainahs, but not as big as Shania or Garth! :)

AINAHS 12-02-2005 11:43 PM

..that is true..

Jud 12-03-2005 12:09 AM

Yep, they could start to being honest, and aknowledge, that Wilson's team used every possible trick from Shania's TWIM and COO book they could to boost Wilson's sales.(and for Shania has been constantly bashed)