View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 07:54 PM

Don't be down, Shania's Up! Tour is Almost Here

Here is a post by a Shania Critic but it was not all that bad...Actually he was quite positive about Shania...But I did not like the last part where he said that Shania Twain lip synched at the Super Bowl when we all know that Shania Twain does not do that...

Link: for Pictures

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente... -home-entlife

MUSIC
Don't be down
Shania's `Up!' tour is almost here

By Jim Abbott | Sentinel Pop Music Critic
Posted July 2, 2004

Twain towers. (MARK CORNELISON/LEXINGTON (KY.) HERALD-LEADER)
Jul 2, 2004

Shania who?

Just kidding. It's not like anyone has forgotten Shania Twain, who brings her "Up!" tour to the TD Waterhouse Centre on Tuesday.

This Orlando show, rescheduled from its original April date, has been on the horizon longer than the careers of some country singers.

How old is Twain's Up! album? When she released it in late 2002, no one hated the Dixie Chicks.

Twain isn't that kind of polarizing presence, unless one has an aversion to peppy anthems about self-realization, saccharine love songs, sporty outfits in primary colors or women who aren't impressed by Brad Pitt.

Twain wasn't available to chat about Pitt's immortalization in "That Don't Impress Me Much" or raising a child with producer-husband Mutt Lange in the couple's Swiss mansion or even about her recent CMT Flameworthy Award for the "Forever and for Always" video or her 2004 Juno Award for best country recording in Anne Murray's homeland of Canada.

That's OK. All the waiting (and waiting . . . ) for this show allowed enough time to compose a Top 10 list of things about Shania Twain that still inspire curiosity.

Drumroll, please:

10. Some of the guys in her band wear goggles -- but not in a Bootsy Collins way. Maybe it's for protection from the rays of sunshine radiating from the music.

9. Shania Twain loves the exclamation point. It's the punctuation of choice on Up!, gracing the titles of nine of 19 songs. There are two exclamation points in the demanding "Waiter! Bring Me Water!" There's also the seemingly contradictory "Nah!" and "I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No)!"

8. She's harshly dismissive of rocket scientists in "That Don't Impress Me Much." Smart guys have feelings too.

7. She's married to a guy named "Mutt," who used to produce AC/DC. Hey, he's no rocket scientist.

6. If that doesn't work out, she's compatible with me! By submitting my birthdate to a Web site that analyzes potential Shania matches, I scored a 68 percent compatibility.

5. My Chihuahua scored 71 percent, proving that mutts must have an advantage.

4. Up! contains both pop and country versions of 19 songs that don't distinguish either category. Thankfully, Tammy Wynette never decided to do a reggae "Stand by Your Man."

3. Twain could become the Britney Spears of country music, but she won't. Co-writing a song on Oops . . . I Did It Again is close enough, thanks.

2. Shania means "on my way" in Ojibway, the Native American language of her stepfather's tribe in her native Canada. Early in her career, there was controversy over her Native American ancestry.

And the No. 1 curious observation about Shania Twain:

1. She managed to perform at the Super Bowl in 2003 without a wardrobe malfunction. In retrospect, the lip-syncing doesn't seem that bad now.

Jim Abbott can be reached at jabbott@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-6213.

Benjamin