View Single Post
Old 02-21-2004, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Thanks for the review....

Yeah the audiences......I think because the tickets for the front are more pricey that its more "an evening out" for people only half interested, whilst the big fans are scattered around the arenas. It's ridiculous that I feel awkward when I'm standing and I know I'm blocking the person's view behind me and they don't want to get of their toushie!

Maybe they should section the arena so half is standing and half seating so people can see if they want to sit. Dunno!!!

Paul

Paul,

I think your proposed solution is a good one in theory. I honestly do not know if it is feasible for venues to implement though. I wish it were. I've wondered about this occasional conflict in preferred behavior between jumpers and sitters for a long time now. Personally at a Shania concert, I prefer to be on my feet with the jumpers. But not everyone who enjoys live Shania performances at close range, has the ability to stand, jump or dance for two hours plus. Although I would like to preserve the option of jumpers to be spontaneous and enjoy the show in the way that is best for them, I would also like to preserve for sitters, the option to enjoy the show in the way that is best for them. And there's no inalienable right to push sitters to the back seats.

There's a detailed discussion on these Boards about Shania fans with different levels of intensity and corresponding behavior. There's an even greater range of legitimate persons who attend concerts. Their views and expectations sometimes even constitute a majority. There's no legal or moral obligation for them to conform to the views and expectations of the most intense fans.

As a practical matter, it's fair to ask whether some types of concerts are so exciting that most people coming to see it, should be prepared to participate in the customary ways reported in the news and by word of mouth. That seems conceivable for Shania concerts. Yet there are the quieter songs during Shania's concerts. Who's to say who should do what and when? The most intense fans? The majority of persons at a given concert? The venue managers? The performers?

There may be some merit to giving the most intense fans, the most accomodation. And if most people want to be enthusiastic and on their feet, it seems counterproductive for venue managers to tell them all to sit down. But there may be appropriate limits in how far the intense fans should impose their preferences on other concert goers. Failure to acknowledge and accomodate diversity raises the question of intolerance. It's one thing to be intolerant of critics who spew inaccuracies and bias. It's another to be intolerant of the legitimate preferences or needs of other fans and other concert goers.

Overall, it's an interesting puzzle. How do you allow the most creative freedom of enthusiastic expression to some, without limiting the preference, convenience or opportunities of others?

So Paul, thanks for showing the sensitivity to maximize the enjoyment for everyone who goes to ST concerts. I don't think you have solved the problem. But you've shown helpful and considerate perspective, in the way you raised the question.

Bob