View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Shania to carry Olympic torch through Timmins!
Shania's got a new flame
Posted By Len Gillis
Updated 22 mins ago

Shania Twain is coming back to Timmins this winter... and she'll be carrying the Olympic Torch. The news was announced this morning by Timmins Mayor Tom Laughren and the local committee overseeing the fact that part of the 2010 Olympic Torch Relay will be coming through Timmins on January 1, 2010.

It will be 100 years to the day that Noah Timmins arrived to inspect the gold mine claims staked in his name.

The Timmins leg of the Olympic torch relay will begin in Porcupine and carry on westward through the city. The highlight of the day will be a community celebration that takes part on the evening of New Year's Day at Fred Salvador Field beside the Hollinger Park.

Today’s announcement was made at the Shania Twain Centre.

I think people are going to be pretty excited with this announcement,” said Mayor Tom Laughren before a group of local reporters.

“The Timmins Olympic community celebration committee is elated to announce that the final leg torch runner … will be Miss Shania Twain,” said the mayor.

“Since her rise to fame, Shania has been a tireless ambassador for our community. She has taken every opportunity to expound the virtues of her hometown,” he added.

“With her generous participation, she will not only focus a wealth of attention on Timmins, but on the Olympic Torch relay and the Vancouver games as well,” he continued.

“And I know the committee, VANOC, is elated with Timmins being able to make this announcement,” Laughren concluded.

Timmins city officials said they were delighted that the country music singing sensation had agreed to come back home to take part in the event.

Twain, who is in touch with the manager of the Shania Twain Centre on a frequent basis, also released a statement.

"It is an immense honour for me to have been given the opportunity to be an Olympic Torch bearer of the 2010 Winter Olympics being held in my birth country of Canada in Vancouver, as it takes its journey through my home town of Timmins," said Twain in a prepared statement.

“It is certain to be one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I am proud to have been presented this unique opportunity and privilege and look forward to sharing the pride with my hometown and fellow Canadians as we are all proud of our country's chance to host the upcoming winter games,” Twain statement continued.

“I have a tremendous respect for the hard work, dedication and talent of the world's greatest athletes and will humbly carry and pass on the Olympic torch with a special pride for my country's Olympians. I am grateful for this special gift of participation in carrying the flame that represents such an incredible spirit of sportsmanship and excellence and wish ALL the athletes of the 2010 Winter Olympics courage, strength and triumph during the games,” Twain continued.

“I'm sending my sincerest, best wishes to each and every one of you as you take this remarkable Olympic journey. Love, Shania”

“The torch will wind its way westbound through our community to our Olympic flame celebration at the Hollinger Park,” said Timmins Police torch run organizer Al Richardson.

Richardson says the celebration will begin at 6:00 pm (gates opening at 4:30 pm). The extravaganza will feature displays and entertainment from RBC and Coca-Cola along with local performers, dancers and singers who will entertain in advance of, and in proud anticipation of, the Torch arrival.

Halfway through the two-hour celebration program, Shania will carry the Olympic Torch on its final 300 metres to the stage where she will light the 1.3-metre high celebration cauldron, in a move similar to the dramatic highlight of what will occur during the Opening Ceremony for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

The celebration will end at 8:00 pm, culminating in a spectacular fireworks display.

http://www.timminstimes.com/Article....aspx?e=1777757