View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Board Administrator

These are about Shania....

"Thank God for Shania. She changed that mindset . Leave it to Shania to shake things up." -Reba

Here she is, completely ignored by the CMA this year, and yet there she was singing on the show. Then she seeks me out to talk. We talked about a lot of things, she asked about my family, and things that are really important. She's just a class act,"-Toby Keith

“She’s so down-to-earth and sweet and he’s great. The first time he was introduced to us, the first thing he said was ‘Sorry we took so long (at sound check)’ — and it’s their show!”

They also managed to shock Lange when they played Only God (Could Stop Me Loving You).

“He stopped in his tracks … he’d forgotten he’d written it,” chuckles Mates. -Emerson Drive

Dolly Parton.....
Parton explains, "Shania said, 'Don't let anybody have Coat of Many Colours, and Dolly has to sing harmony.'

"After she recorded it, I sang harmony on it and when they sent Shania the track, she just cried like a baby.

"I thought, 'Well, if you can live long enough and do something special enough to bring out that kind of emotion in somebody, that's what it's all about.'"

Shania Twain has carved out her own place in country. Until she came along, there
was no job description for what she is -- a pop femme fatale in country, for want of
a better term. She's playing by her own rules. And she's changing the audience."
Chet Flippo, Nashville correspondent for Billboard

"If she could just sell a few more albums she might just hit
it big and I'll let her open for me on my next world tour."
Terri Clark joking about Shania at the 1998 CCMA's

"Shania's a different kind of performer. She's an energy. She's beautiful, she's
got a great body, she loves to perform"
Pierre Cossette, Grammy producer

"She had a vision for what she wanted to go do, and
anything less than achieving that was half-assed to her."
Toby Keith, toured with Shania in 1993

"Anne Murray cracked the door to success in America. Michelle Wright wedged
it a little more. Shania blew it wide open."
Cliff Dumas, CISS FM

"Shania Twain ... has done more for country and western than heartbreak and whiskey combined."
Rex Murphy, New Year's Eve/97 edition of CBC TV's National Magazine

This was the greatest natural talent that I have ever been personally involved with."
Richard Frank, attorney who has represented Patsy Cline among others.
He was asked to see Shania perform at Deerhurst Resort

"She's been at the top of the charts for two years, and she still hasn't gotten
the pats on the back that she deserves." (because she'd never won an ACM award - before 99)
Reba McEntire

"A lot of people are accusing her of being packaged. But I don't think this is a
marketing-driven artist. It's been her vision from the beginning -- all the clothes, all the
looks, all the concepts."
Luke Lewis, Nashville president of Mercury

"I don't think the (Dixie) Chicks have opened any doors
for us. The biggest door opener for us has been Shania Twain and her style of country."
Kelsi (from SHeDaisy)

"She's developing into a big star. People love her. They've taken to her like a duck to water."
Trevor Smith, Australia Country Music Association

"What hasn't she done for country music, and what hasn't she done for females in country
music? She deserves everything she gets, absolutely."
Tim McGraw at the 2000 ACMA's, on losing the Entertainer of the Year award to Shania

"We market Shania like a pop star because she is a pop star internationally."
David Lory, vice president of artist development and international marketing for Mercury Records

"I was really hoping she'd win. That was her first award on the CMAs, to my knowledge," McEntire tells LAUNCH. "She didn't win album of the year at the ACM or CMAs--she should have. She was at the top of the charts forever, and she wasn't recognized for that, and I apologized several times for that to her. I said, 'I'm sorry. That's not fair.' And when she won the entertainer of the year, and for me to get to pass that to the next female to receive it since I was the last to receive it in '86, was perfect! I stepped away from the microphone and said, 'I am so thrilled to be able to present this to you.' It meant the world to me."-Reba

----

More from Shania....

"If you saw me the way I normally am, you wouldn't think I was so beautiful - I don't know what you would think." (on her looks)

I'm not just a lap dancer afterall..." (after winning the 1999 CMA Entertainer Of The Year award) One of the best Shania quotes ever!

"It's so easy to get flattered by everything that's going on around you. And it's okay to be flattered, but it's not okay to lose a true sense of humility. And it's hard. Sometimes you're trying to build your confidence and confidence comes from ego. In order to be really confident, and do a good job, it's kind of an ego thing. So, how do you do that and stay humble at the same time? ... I think humility is the most important thing for me to remember."

"Later in my life, I'm going to look back and smile and be very fulfilled. I know that if I don't give it my all right now I'll regret it later. That's very important to me, because I've worked all my life to have this.

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain