View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Shania Twain Has An Olympic Plan
By Tom Roland

Shania Twain photo courtesy of UMG Nashville.
Oct. 2, 2009 — The Winter Olympics take place in Vancouver next year, and in the big run-up to the event, Shania Twain will carry the Olympic torch when it arrives in her hometown on New Year’s Day.

Shania has agreed to take the torch for 300 meters in Timmins, Ontario, Sun Media reported. She’ll use the flame to light a cauldron on stage at a ceremony in a local park that evening.

Her participation is “an immense honor,” she said in a statement. “It is certain to be one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I am proud to have been presented this unique opportunity and privilege and look forward to sharing the pride with my hometown and fellow Canadians as we are all proud of our country’s chance to host the upcoming winter games.”

Shania continues country’s Olympic legacy. Billy Ray Cyrus carried the torch in Nashville during 1996 before the Summer Olympics in Atlanta, the Dixie Chicks and LeAnn Rimes performed in the opening ceremonies before the 2002 Winter Olympics in Utah, and Jo Dee Messina was a correspondent for Westwood One during the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy.

http://blog.gactv.com/blog/2009/10/...n-olympic-plan/