View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 12:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to chicker
The Birmingham Post
Februay 24th

Shania's Presidential Display Appeals To Men And Women

With a pen in one hand and a microphone in the other Shania Twain satisfied grown men's hearts and young girl's autograph books at the Natinal Exhibition Centre last night.

Stopping every four or five songs to meet the crowd, deliver a few handshakes and kiss a few babies, this was no pop concert but the presidential elections a few months early.

That said, there were probably only a handful at the packed arena who must have thought "That Don't Impress Me Much".

Skinpy costumes and an over-inflated band wowed the crowd who toe-tapped and Tee-haa's their was through two dozen country songs, power ballads and rock anthems that make up the Canadian beauty's back catalogue.

And at £50 a ticket, it was good to see there was no expense spared as Twain pranced around a circular stage at the cantre of the arena with a nine piece outfit which included three dancing violinists.

This was over indulgence at its best. A 38-year-old married mulit millionairess acting like Justin and dressinglike Britney.

Twain aired tracks from her early country albums as well as belting out a few from her latest Up! record and the 34 million selling Come On Over. Launching she show was the cross dressing anthem Man! I Feel Like A WOman, the mostly female audience (I think) were then given something to shout about with further hits such as That Don't Impress Me Much and Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under.

Twain does tend to take the audience participation side of things a bit far, shaking hands and waving like a Big Brother contestant after being booted out and the cheeseometer went into overdrive when the bands were introduced.

However, Brad, Buck and the lads were clearly talented musicians, despite looking like the village people.

Neil Connor.
Make all our hearts blind to colors