View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 PM

It seems our intrepid world circumnavigator Abby will have to make a pit stop at Cape of Good Hope to put in for repairs to her primary and back up autopilots. It is good she was able to finally make repairs to her main autopilot so she could continue on to the Cape of Good Hope to put in for repairs. Well Abby for now won't be able to claim that she made the trip unaided but she can still claim that she will be able to complete the round the world trip in a sail boat on her own pretty much. For a 16 year old it is amazing she made it this far on her own dispite her circumstances and was even able to conduct repairs of her own onboard. I am sure Abby has learned a great deal and some valuable lessons in this venture. Here is her statement to that effect.

Benjamin

I have some big news today. It's not necessarily good news, but the way I look at it, it's not bad either. I am going to be pulling into Cape Town for repairs thus ending my non-stop attempt. My whole team and I have been discussing whether or not I need to stop ever since my main auto pilot died. It's one thing to sail across an ocean with one well-working auto pilot, it's another to keep going with one that is not at all reliable.

It would be foolish and irresponsible for me to keep going with my equipment not working well. I'm about 10-14 days from Cape Town right now and though my auto pilot is working for now, we're all holding our breath and hoping it will last.

I gave it my best shot and made it almost half way around the world. I will definitely keep going, and whether or not I will make any more stops after this I don't know yet. I admit I was pretty upset at first, but there is no point in getting upset. Whats done is done and there is nothing I can do about it.

I know that some people will look on my trip as a failure because of this, and there really isn't anything that I can do about that. When you're surrounded by critics it can be hard to remember your own goals and expectations, you start to judge yourself by what other people are saying.

This is the experience of a life time. It's hard and sometimes down right terrifying, but I love it out here. My boat, my team, my sponsors, and you guys, my faithful followers are all great, and I am lucky to have you all on board. This whole trip came from a dream, a dream to sail around the world, and that is what I am doing - youngest or not, non-stop or stopping.

Abby