View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 AM

Twain's hit parade

Nick Lewis
Calgary Herald

Friday, December 05, 2003

1) Man! I Feel Like A Woman! Man, I feel, like, a palpitation coming on as it took me 75 minutes to cab 12 blocks to get here. It seems like all of Calgary is in this building. Shania runs out in a red Flames jersey, jeans that look like blue hospital pants and glitter sneakers.

2) Up! It's now apparent that Shania is really singing and not lip-synching, which is impressive because she sounds close to what she does on record.

3) Honey, I'm Home: Shania walks around the circular stage, which she shares with close to 10 backing musicians, waving at fans. Fireworks burst from the corners of the stage at midpoint.

4) C'est La Vie: "This is for everyone who hates Mondays," she says as she introduces it. It sounds like ABBA's Dancing Queen.

5) Love Gets Me Every Time: "All right, hello Calgary! It is great to be here, it's a beautiful part of the country. The band feels a little nippy, but I like it . . . The last time I was here I brought my horse, but I wasn't able to bring him this time." I hate when I can't take my horse on business trips.

6) She's Not Just A Pretty Face: Shania circles around the middle of the stage, playing off her strutting guitarist.

7) Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You): The concealed fans on the bottom of the stage kick in and her hair starts to blow playfully. Shania walks around, accepts roses from the audience and signs autographs while singing.

8) Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?: The holder of ticket number 889438 is called up on stage for Shania to personally thank for buying a ticket, a portion going toward buying kids' lunches at school.

9) Forever And For Always: Shania introduces each member of her band to the audience before the song as she leaves the stage to change clothes. Shania rises from the bottom of the stage seated on a stool that revolves around the audience. She's wearing a turquoise halter top and black capri pants.

10) (Not sure) Not sure of the song's name, but the chorus goes, "Nobody's perfect."

11) Medley -- When/ You Win My Love/ Come On Over/ I'm Holdin' On To Love (To Save My Life): The people around me have a quick discussion. Has Shania ever been on Mr. Blackwell's worst dressed list? Where do you send in nominations?

12) The Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You): Shania meets ticket holder 889438, which is either Edward or Diane. The three get a picture together. Shania leaves and reappears a few minutes later sitting in the audience with a guitarist.

13) That Don't Impress Me Much!: Shania runs to the stage from the crowd as people cheer when hearing the opening riffs.

14) I'm Gonna Getcha Good!: Man! I feel like I've blown my exclamation point quota for the year. She uses her exclamation points as haphazardly as Elaine Benes on Seinfeld. A couple of kids in the audience sing with her.

15) In My Car (I'll Be The Driver): Shania struts around the stage.

16) (If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!: Twelve members of the Stampede Showband come up to back Shania on this with marching drums. At the end, band members hoist Shania on their shoulders as she descends into the sinking stage.

Encore

17) You're Still The One: Shania returns wearing a home Hitmen jersey. She high-fives people in the audience as she walks around.

18) Any Man Of Mine: Most of the crowd is standing and either clapping or dancing or both.

19) Rock This Country!: More people clapping and dancing. The show ends after an hour and 45 minutes.

nlewis@trald.canwest.com
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calga...0A-2F1B243171DF