Sounds like everyone in vancouver was pleased way to go shania

for pics check out the website.

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/the...40-EC9874E8B70F

Shania fans Up! for show
17,000 watch Twain put her exclamation mark on Vancouver

John P. McLaughlin
The Province

Monday, December 08, 2003

We'd like to tell you Shania's a Canucks fan but she wore a Flames jersey while in Calgary.

CREDIT: Jason Payne, The Province

Shania's band was rockin'.

CREDIT: Jason Payne, The Province

ADVERTISEMENT

Shania Twain has always had a thing for the exclamation mark.

On her latest Up! album, about half the songs seemingly exclaim themselves. "Thank You Baby!," "What a Way to Wanna Be!," "Waiter! Bring Me Water!"-- the back cover reads like an over-caffeinated teenager's diary.

So it's no huge surprise Twain's show last night at the Pacific Coliseum Was! One! Big! Exclamation!

From the opening "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" with her nine-piece band fanning out over the big oval stage and fireworks blasting off like it was another night in Baghdad, Timmins, Ont.'s favourite daughter definitely got everyone's attention.

With in-the-round shows like this one, the problem is always how the artist will make her entrance. In this case Twain's band came in from one end of the Coliseum and, while the spotlight was on them, Twain snuck in from another end. Very tricky.

And the capacity, record-breaking crowd of 17,000 was ready for their Shania. Dressed in a Canucks jersey, blue jeans and red sparkly shoes worthy of a Dorothy, she roamed the risers and numerous stairs of the elaborate stage like it was her own yellow brick road, pulling out hit after hit from "Up!" and "Honey I'm Home" to "Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)" and "I'm Gonna Getcha Good."

When she hit "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under" with the triple fiddles and the rest of the band nailing the difficult harmonies, the entire crowd was on its feet clapping and singing along. Twain is nothing if not the master of the pop hook and the audience, in fact, was clapping, stomping and singing along to everything she did.

It's quite an experience to hear 17,000 people singing "If You're Not in it For Love I'm Outta Here" at the top of their collective lungs. My ears are still ringing.

Canadians Emerson Drive were a solid opening act drawing from original material and covers like "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and Merle Haggard's "Silver Wings eliciting an amazingly big response from the crowd. These guys are going places.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

If you're going to the Shania show tonight, here are three moments when you definitely don't want to be lining up for popcorn...

1. Make sure you're there for the opening -- both for the big spectacle and the bigger fun of seeing a lot of beefy guys screaming out "Man! I Feel Like A Woman" as loud as they can.

2. Keep your eyes on one of the six overhead screens during "She's Not Just a Pretty Face." In the video celebration of women in various roles, see how many you can identify. Mother Teresa is the easy one.

3. After the rather original band intro, segment one of the coolest moments of the night comes when Twain rises up like an apparition in the fog from beneath the stage, sitting on a stool singing "Forever and Always" as she revolves.

jpmac@gmx.net

© Copyright 2003 The Province