View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Shania Twain to carry Olympic torch through hometown of Timmins, Ont.
(CP)

TIMMINS, Ont. — Shania Twain will carry the Olympic torch through her northern Ontario hometown of Timmins.

The pop-country superstar says the honour "is certain to be one of the most memorable experiences of my life."

Twain says on her website that she will carry the flame through the city on Jan. 1, 2010 as part of the Olympic Torch Relay.

The high-profile appearance comes as Twain prepares for a career comeback after her much-publicized break-up with music producer Robert (Mutt) Lange last year.

She's also set to appear on "American Idol" as a guest judge on the reality singing competition.

Twain said in a release that she is honoured to be a torch bearer for the 2010 Winter Olympics, which run Feb. 12 to 28 in Vancouver.

"I am proud to have been presented this unique opportunity and privilege and look forward to sharing the pride with my hometown and fellow Canadians as we are all proud of our country's chance to host the upcoming Winter Games," Twain said.

"I have a tremendous respect for the hard work, dedication and talent of the world's greatest athletes and will humbly carry and pass on the Olympic torch with a special pride for my country's Olympians. I am grateful for this special gift of participation in carrying the flame that represents such an incredible spirit of sportsmanship and excellence and wish all the athletes of the 2010 Winter Olympics courage, strength and triumph during the Games."

The torch will visit over 1,000 communities and will be carried by 12,000 people on a 45,000-kilometre journey.

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ca...3bUq4uxQFmXvQ9Q