View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM

It appears that our news site is acting up so here is the article that I posted.

The City of Timmins is very excited that the Olympic Torch will pass through our community on January 1st 2010 as it makes it's way to the Olympic games in Vancouver. Today, in a press conference, the final leg runner for the Timmins portion of the route was announced at the Shania Twain Centre!!

We are extremely pleased to announce that Shania Twain will carry the torch here in Timmins. Here is a quote from Shania.

It's an immense honour for me to have been given the opportunity to be an Olypmic Torch bearer of the 2010 winter Olympics being held in my birth country of Canada in Vancouver, as it takes its journey through
my home town of Timmins. It is certain to be one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I am proud to have been presented this unique opportunity and privilege and look forward to sharing the pride with my hometown and fellow Canadians as we are all proud of our country's chance to host the upcoming winter games.

I have a tremendous respect for the hard work, dedication and talent of the world's greatest athletes and will humbly carry and pass on the Olympic torch with a special pride for my country's Olympians. I am grateful for this special gift of participation in carrying the flame that represents such an incredible spirit of sportsmanship and excellence and wish ALL the athletes of the 2010 Winter Olympics courage, strength and triumph during the games.

I'm sending my sincerest, best wishes to each and every one of you as you take this remarkable Olympic journey.

Love,

Shania

Festivities will take place between 6pm and 8pm on January 1, 2010.

We will post more information as we receive it.