Thread: Seattle concert
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2004, 03:46 PM

Twain bonds with audience at sold-out Key

By ELLEN A. KIM
SPECIAL TO THE POST-INTELLIGENCER

Shania Twain may be country music's biggest-selling female star, but Friday night's fan-oriented show proved she hasn't forgotten "the little people."
Throughout her 75-minute set at a sold-out KeyArena, Twain covered every end of the round stage, surrounded 360 degrees by her fans, singing and bending to sign autographs at the same time. She received flowers, high-fived several dozen hands and invited several lucky patrons onstage for photo opportunities.

However, some (particularly those seated mid-level and higher) might complain that this much attention to her audience sacrificed some of the show's musicality and showmanship. Twain's vocals and arrangements were pretty much straight off the CDs, and she couldn't show much spontaneity due to her multitasking.

But fans seemed to come for the meet-and-greet feel, dancing from the moment Twain took the stage with "Man! I Feel Like a Woman." Dressed in a hot-pink tank top, black yoga pants tucked into laced-up wrestling shoes and rhinestone choker, Twain launched into "I'm Gonna Getcha Good!" "Honey I'm Home," "Up!" and "Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)."

Twain also delved into older material such as "Who's Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" and "Any Man of Mine," and brought in local marching-band drummers for "(If You're Not in it for Love) I'm Outta Here!" Her songs are perfect for concert sing-alongs: they're easy to follow, with fun lyrics and sassy attitude. And that's what her fans come for.

Rather than focus on "Up!" her latest release, Twain stuck to fast-tempo hits from all her albums. What was disappointingly missing, however, were the love ballads that launched her name into the mainstream (not to mention thousands of weddings). "Forever and For Always" was noticeably absent, as were her other hits, "From This Moment On" and "You've Got a Way."

She did perform a piano-accompanied version of "You're Still the One," but did so with an aggressive, chatty audience member picked to sing it with her. He may have forgotten half the lyrics, but he didn't lose his nerve, leaving with autograph and picture, and showering Twain with compliments (turns out he'd managed to get chosen once before).

Her band, made up of eight musicians/singers, was as flashy and electrifying as the indoor fireworks that concluded the show. Dressed in '80s street-gang garb, they impressively switched instruments with ease, sang backup vocals and danced about the stage, occupying the open space whenever Twain moved and earning their own autograph requests.

Emerson Drive, a young sextet from Western Alberta, Canada, opened the concert.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/1...twainq19ww.html