View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Board Administrator

Finally, real-life talent on The Apprentice

Shania alert!

No, not another crummy TV movie. The real deal. Shania Twain is scheduled to appear as herself on an outing of The Apprentice called Shaniagans, which suggests she'll do more than just walk on and tell The Donald what a magnificent empire he has (and not just the hair). The task is said to revolve around "the fragrance industry;" beyond that, NBC's promo department isn't saying. No preview tape was made available.

Carolyn Kepcher and George Ross II are slated to appear -- no last-minute substitutions there -- but last week's overdue dismissal of royal pain Clay Lee means this Apprentice is now missing its most divisive personality. After nine weeks of capricious decisions, even by reality TV's wacky standards, it suddenly occurred to The Donald that 17 people can't be wrong: He fired Clay for "past history" -- i.e. endless bickering and quarrelling with teammates/work colleagues/project managers, etc. -- and cited the old song lyric, "Can't you just all get along?"

Pity poor Rebecca Jarvis, by the way, the candidate identified as a financial journalist, who has spent the past several weeks on crutches, the result of an ill-conceived "reward skate" with the New York Islanders. The Islanders skate was supposed to be a reward for a job well done, but instead it turned into a bone-crushing affair, as Rebecca turned her ankle on the ice and shattered it in several places.

Rebecca has been hobbling on crutches ever since, but the experience has turned her into something of a firebrand in the boardroom, quick to defend herself when the going gets rough -- as it did last week, when Clay tried to blame her for, well, everything -- and only too willing to tell it like it is. "One thing I've learned about Rebecca, she's honest," The Donald said. "If nothing else, she's honest."

"And I think you've learned that about me as well, Mr. Trump," Clay chimed in, unfamiliar with the concept of not speaking unless spoken to.

"Well, I think I've learned you're difficult," His Greatness replied, and the die was cast.

"In life, you have to look at past events," His Greatness went on. "That's called history. Too many countries, too many businesses have been destroyed by not studying history." So there you have it: the secret to business success. Bone up on your history.

A twist: This time, when he barked, "You're fired!" The Donald slammed the boardroom table with his hand and made as if he was firing a pistol. Hoopla!

Tonight, journalist candidate Rebecca is still on crutches, but my guess is she'll find a soul mate of sorts in I Ain't No Quitter songstress Shania. I don't know about her prospects of winning, though. A financial journalist working for The Donald -- does that strike you as a good idea? (9 p.m., Global, NBC) Programming note: Tonight's Apprentice is two hours. The first hour is a clip show; Shaniagans starts an hour later.

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawa...30-78dc5fa1a59e

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain