View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 02:03 PM

My Emonton Shania Concert Review

Of course, I attended the concert last night. I had 3rd row tickets on the floor. Rexall Place was sold out - more than 18,000. No camera check at all. I brought a small disposable camera. I bought a big pile of Breakfast For Learning tickets. We raised a record amount last night which kind of surprised Shania I think.

Emerson Drive came out and did a smoking set of 6 songs. They were really up tonight, probably because all friends and family were there. Brad Mates acknowledged his father in the audience and a proud beaming papa stood up and waved back. Edmonton is the closet stop to their home city of Grand Prairie, AB. Of course, Brad had the girls screaming on his shake, rattle and roll moves. ED have a future in this business.

The crowd went nuts when Shania came out for MIFLAW. I was actually in a group of people who did not know about the fake silhouette - they were facing the thing. I told them that she's not there and to look behind you. So, I turned around looking towards the back entrance and sure enough, part of the band came through there - the other part of the band from the other side and Shania came jogging past me. smiling, I snapped a pic without flash since the spotlight was on her. She was dressed in the Grey Cup Champion Edmonton Eskimo CFL Jersey with #1 on the back, black pants. The set was the same as Calgary. Shania did mention at the beginning that her brothers Mark and Darryl were in the audience as well as her niece Mandy.

A couple of cute moments - Shania saw a cute toddler and his parents wanted her to take him. He was 2 years old. Shania picks him up and mentions that she also has a boy the same age. Takes the kid up to the top stage level and he's thinking where am I going - lol! She starts clapping to the music. The kid then starts clapping with his hands over his head and smiling - the crowd roars. Shania shows him how to blow kisses - he puts his hand to his mouth and keeps it there thinking there must be food there somewhere. - funny. Another great moment came later when a young girl came up dressed as Shania in her Miami CBS concert outfit. She sang pretty well.

Another funny thing happened towards the end of the show. Shania decides to meet one more person. She randomly picks this guy and he is a bit annoying. First he says he's from Vancouver only here on business. He attended a company meeting in the afternoon and won a front row ticket to see the show. Then he gets picked to come on stage to meet her. He then starts talking about some inane company stuff all the while holding the microphone. Shania walks away mocking like the guy has taken over - too funny. She comes back and the guy says that he'll be at her Vancouver Monday show and guess what - he won a ticket to her sound check party. Shania says - what luck you have - I look forward to seeing you again (sure) - the crowd roars at this - hilarious.

Shania did the 3 song encore. The whole set lasted 1 hour 45 minutes - a bit shorter than other reviews.. The only slight downside is my honest observation - she did not have her usual Shania energy in her performance, an enthusiasm was missing. I don't know what it was. She didn't look tired but the spark wasn't there. No one can be on a constant high for every show. Part of it could be our crowd. If we were more wild and enthusiastic, she would have fed on it. Part of it could be that they are doing the same songs and a set list change could help. Tired or not, Shania is a true Superstar performer - that is clearly evident. I had a great time and I am buying more tickets to shows - you can never get enough Shania.