View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 01:16 PM

8/13

I hate the term "farewell", so I'll just refer to it as "the brunch". Actually, it was a bit nice not to have to shuttle anywhere. We were able to wake up whenever we happened to wake up and stroll down casually to meet up with friends.

After I woke up, Sam asked me where I put the camera. Eh-oh. I thought he'd taken it with him when he and Cody had stepped out during the banquet at the Mac. Nope. He'd left it with me. I called the Mac Curling Rink and asked about it. They didn't have it in their lost and found, but the lady on the phone suggested I call back at 2:00 to check again. I posted about it on the boards in case somebody had found it and kept it safe. We had a hunch that that's what had happened. Before we left the room for breakfast, I checked the board to see if anyone had responded. Sure enough, Betsy and FV had found it and given it to Tracy for safekeeping. THANKS, YOU GUYS!!!! The theme continues... people helping each other.

The brunch was wonderful! We thoroughly enjoyed the slide show with fancon memories (and thanks for including a song by Bruddah Iz, too!!!!). JD gave a very moving speech - reminding us about what's really important in all of our lives. He also touched on a thought that Sam and I had been discussing throughout this convention. With all of the chaos going on in the world, our group gave him hope. Here we were - coming from all over the world - different accents, different languages, different ages and genders, and no doubt different philosophies. Yet, we're bonded by a shared passion. And we're able to laugh, hug, cry and be there for each other and put all of the other stuff aside.

By the time the brunch was over, the mood was already beginning to shift. A few of us were preparing to leave. Jack volunteered to drive a couple groups over to the Centre since the shuttles were no longer available, so we headed for the exit to get ready. Cody scooched through the crowd ahead of us. By the time I worked my way out of the room, I didn't spot him. It hadn't taken me that long, so I knew he'd probably gone to the restroom. Allison and JD were walking down the hallway in the other direction. Allison turned and spotted me looking around and said "are you looking for Cody?" She pointed down toward the restrooms. "I think I saw him heading that way". I thanked her and waited in the hallway outside the bathroom. Sure enough, that's where he was. He sat in a chair by the phones and waited for me while I used the bathroom and FV kept an eye on him for me. Thanks, FV!!!!!!!!

Sam was feeling a little too sore from the previous day's golfing to try it again. He told Jack and Frank to go ahead and go without him, but both of them had decided to give that one up, too. I think secretly he didn't feel too bad about missing the last golf game, he didn't want to miss the final day with the entire group.

On the drive to the Centre, Jack drove us past the Twain house on Montgomery. It's the first time we'd seen that. To look at that and think of where she's living now... wow. You go, girl. We loved being back in the Centre for a final visit (shopping opportunity). Since there were a few less people, I really took the time to study all of the exhibits and marveled at the work of the STC staff. And when Cody needed a break from the final behind the scenes look, we were able to go outside and take a few photos that I'd really wanted to take. On our first trip out a few years ago, we took a couple of pics of Cody sitting on rocks outside of the Centre. He's grown so much that I wanted to try to recreate those same shots so I could compare the difference.

Several of us wanted to take some final pictures of various groups of us, so we posed by the Centre sign. Jack waited very patiently for us to finish that, and then we got our shuttle service back to the hotel. Thanks, Jack!!!!

Oops! Have to get to work - will finish this day's entry tonight.