View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Suspended

I think FAFA is going to be a big hit. The first single to be released from the new album was IGGG. Its high energy, great beat, solid melody and intricately worked sound together with an innovative, eye-catching video guaranteed success.

Up!, the single, was not so successful. IMO it is one of the weaker songs, or let's say, less strong songs on the album. It is high energy and good for concert openers but essentially shallow and repetitive. Ouch!! Some of you will argue with me on that. The video did not help. For hardcore fans like us it was a fascinating retrospective on Shania's life. But for the average fan it was just indecipherable.

The next single in Europe was Ka-Ching. IMO this is one of the greatest songs on the album. It has not only an innovative and catchy melody and Mutt's genius interpretation but it is real social commentary. The video is mixed in value. Again hardcore fans will love to delve into its meanings and symbolism but Joe Average will just be a bit mystified and I think not be too comfortable with it. I think it was not released into the US market because the anti consumer message comes at the wrong time there with the economy so sluggish. Ironically, the Canadian economy is just rolling along with our Bank of Canada trying to rein it in by higher interest rates. Ka-Ching could have been released here and like all Shania's songs would have been a smash it. But if the US doesn't get it, we don't get it either.

FAFA is back on the success track IMO. First of all, it seems that Shania's biggest hits with the public at large are her ballads and FAFA is a ballad, albeit a rather fast one. Personally, I think Shania's best work is her hard-driving stuff. FAFA's melody is simple and the theme of enduring love is an enduring favourite with the public at large. This video does not try to be too clever. The theme of the song is simply illustrated by this one couple depicted at three different stages of their life. The setting is appropriately beautiful and dreamy and of course so is Shania. This should be a hit in all over the world and in different music markets - country, pop and AC for sure.

Roger