View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 08:24 AM

Fiery rock chick and country diva shake up 'cowboy city'

THE sounds of rock chick Chrissie Hynde and country music diva Shania Twain shook the medieval city of Kilkenny at the weekend.

Multi-coloured Stetson and cowboy boot-clad women outdid their male counterparts, who wilted in the singing and dancing stakes when the hits were belted out by the two headline acts.

The evening kicked off with a weak performance from Girls Aloud, who also performed at the 02 concert in the Park. Local band, Muse Motel, and up-and-coming star, Denise Hogan, also warmed up the crowd.

But it was the Pretenders who got the crowds rocking when they took to the stage shortly after 6pm.

The svelte figure of Hynde, red guitar in tow, drew gasps of admiration from the crowds with her pure unaltered rock sounds of hits such as 'Don't Get Me Wrong', 'Back on the Chain Gang', and 'I'll Stand By You' during the band's hour-long performance.

It was another hour before, Shania Twain, in a sparkle-black cat-suit, waist-coat, and tie took the stage in a colour display of pyrotechnics.

Her first concert in over three years, it took the diminutive star a number of songs to get the crowd going with her hits including, 'Man, I Feel Like A Woman', 'That Don't Impress Me Much', and songs from her new album, 'Up!'.

Half way through her two-hour long songfest, Twain, who changed outfits three times, won the hearts of the audience by exclaiming they were the "best, loudest, and most fun".

A quick change into an Irish jersey inspired the crowds to out-sing the superstar before she left the stage at 10.30pm.

Sarah Murphy

- Irish Independent