View Single Post
Old 07-31-2003, 03:19 PM
Suspended

I guess we all have a different take on this. To me, the issue is not selling but whether it is right to distribute photos of celebs at all. So to me, selling is no worse than distributing for free. So, is it okay to distribute photos of celebrities taken at a public event, e.g. the Walk of Fame ceremony? I would say yes. The celebrities were there in their official capacities as celebrities. It would not be okay to distribute pix of them when they are not officially in the public eye, eg. in their back yard. That would be an infringement of their privacy.

Now with concerts, all the tickets tell you not take photos. If you accept that has the force of morality and law, no photos are legitimate, not even those distributed for free, not even those you just keep for yourself. I question the morality of telling you you can't take photos of a public person at a public event so I would take photos and distribute them to friends. But I don't know what the law says on this concert question.

As far as I am concerned, there is no need for an agreement between spectators and a celebrity at a concert. If the performer is appearing officially in public, getting photographed is part of the deal. I realize the law and performers themselves may see it otherwise.

Roger