View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 03:11 AM

Award tops with Twain

'Humbled' country superstar says latest award means more than others

Sat, November 19, 2005

By DENIS ARMSTRONG, OTTAWA SUN

CANADIAN country superstar Shania Twain added another glowing chapter to her legendary rags-to-riches story yesterday, being appointed an officer of the Order of Canada.

"I was very humbled," the diminutive 40-year-old said yesterday. "I'm not quite sure it's somewhere I belonged. I'm not even quite sure I'm deserving."

Singer Shania Twain posed with Gov. Gen Michaelle Jean after the country superstar was appointed an officer in the Order of Canada at Rideau Hall yesterday. (Tony Caldwell, SUN)

Twain led 42 fellow Canadians -- including Olympic speed skating champion Catriona Le May Doan, chocolate baron David Ganong, former British Columbia premier David Barrett and the National Ballet's artistic director James Kudelka -- to receive the country's highest civilian award from Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean in an elegant ceremony at Rideau Hall.

Jean described the 18 officers and 25 members of the order as "trail-blazing visionaries, each who have made significant contributions to Canada."

A LITTLE GLAMOUR
[Blocked Ads]

Not surprisingly, Twain's presence added a little glamour to the formal ceremony, which the governor general has hosted annually since 1967.

The citation said Twain was instilled with a strong sense of pride by her family, despite living in poverty.

Even as a child, it said, music played an important role in her life.

"Today, she enjoys enormous success, yet she remains true to her roots," said the citation.

"Dedicated to eliminating child hunger, she supports a number of food distribution agencies like food banks and breakfast programs in schools."

Twain, who has sold 65 million records worldwide, making her the best-selling country artist of all time, avoided the media spotlight yesterday.

She spoke casually with fellow laureate, world-renowned neurosurgeon Ronald Tasker, throughout the event, and later appeared briefly in a media scrum where she answered questions in English and French.

Twain, who has won every major industry award including Grammy, Juno and Country Music Association awards, said that she was "shocked" to learn she had received the esteemed award "which means more (to her) than any other."

"Those are entertainment awards, but this is from my country," she said, adding that she will always cherish the medal as something that acknowledges her contributions as a Canadian.

Twain, who now lives in Switzerland with her husband Mutt Lange and son Eja, tipped her hat to her hometown, Timmins, and the new governor general, who she described as having "a warm, huge personality."

SHANIA'S SONGBOOK

Some of Shania Twain's greatest hits:

- Forever and For Always

- I'm Gonna Getcha Good!

- Up!

- Come On Over

- Man! I Feel Like A Woman!

- That Don't Impress Me Much

- From This Moment On

- Honey, I'm Home

- You're Still The One

- Don't Be Stupid

- Love Gets Me Every Time

- No One Needs To Know

- You Win My Love

- (If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!

- The Woman In Me

- Any Man Of Mine

- Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?

- Party For Two (with Mark McGrath)

- Don't!

- I Ain't No Quitter

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottaw...313558-sun.html