View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Administrator

It seems they got a pretty lousy crowd last night..

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...-name_page.html

That didn't impress me much Feb 24 2004

By Andy Coleman, Evening Mail

Birmingham NEC audiences are hard to please. If they're won over by an act they'll go wild; if they aren't, they'll sit back and say: "That don't impress me much."

Half-way through Shania Twain's spectacular 105-minute performance last night it seemed that she still had a lot of impressing to do.

The huge stage in the centre of the arena was impressive, the fireworks accompanying the opening song dramatic and the sound pin-sharp.

The nine-piece band was energetic and created a barrage of sound. But the audience seemed to be most excited when Shania ventured near the edge of the stage and there was a rush to request autographs. She duly obliged, continuing to sing as she signed everything thrust in front of her.

Puzzled by the sold-out crowd's lukewarm reaction to hits like Man! I Feel Like A Woman and Ka-Ching!, the pint sized Canadian exclaimed: "Is there a rule here that says everyone has to stay seated?"

Maybe it was that drummer JD Blair was wearing a Birmingham City shirt or that five of the nine opening numbers were from the new album Up!

But Shania's rant shook the fans out of their lethargy and, once on their feet, the party really started.

Shania redoubled her efforts, pulling some older songs like Come On Over out of the bag and even sitting at the back of the arena, in the midst of the audience, to sing Woman In Me.

A sprint back to the stage for a sprightly That Don't Impress Me Much led to two more new tracks, I'm Gonna Getcha Good and In My Car (I'll Be The Driver).

She wore an England rugby shirt for You're Still The One, Any Man Of Mine and Rock This Country which concluded with fireworks and so much confetti the NEC cleaners must have wept.

So the show ended on an Up note - let's hope that when Shania returns on March 7 the crowd aren't in such a Mondayish mood.

If you have gone to the concert, send them an email! Just go to this webpage and use the link from there!
http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...-name_page.html