View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Loonie Echo
I am quoted in article

Whoo - Hoo!
More excitement for me!
The Canadian Press quoted me in their article. This was from this morning at the Canada AM show!
See below! ( I am Tara )

John McKay
Canadian Press

November 3, 2004

TORONTO -- Country music diva Shania Twain turned TV host Wednesday, delivering the weather forecast, discussing the stalled U.S. election and conducting a cooking segment on CTV's Canada AM as fans roared their approval.

"I have no idea what I'm doing," laughed Twain, who joined Canada AM regulars Beverly Thomson, Seamus O'Regan and Jeff Hutcheson at a special outdoor broadcast at a downtown square.

Twain, clad in a quilted pink parka (and with matching pink microphone), was still raving about her visit Tuesday to her hometown of Timmins, Ont., where she officially cut the ribbon to a museum dedicated to her career.

"I was just really proud," she said, joking that she "froze my butt off" at the chilly outdoor ceremony.

Police estimated between 700 and 800 fans congregated in Dundas Square, braving frosty temperatures to attend the live remote telecast. But Twain was undaunted as she helped deliver a weather forecast by using titles and lyrics from her songs to describe conditions across the country.

After that, she took questions from viewers, including one about her son Eja, who she described as a "fun little guy" who "loves trains and trucks."

And she said it freaks her out when she now meets, not just babies, but 10-year-old girls who were named after her.

Twain also took part in a mock hockey game that included her co-hosts, Maple Leafs star Tie Domi and a robot goalie, after which she was given a Leafs team sweater with Twain on the back and the number 00.

"That's the goofiest thing I think I've ever done, I'm sure I looked so goofy!" she exclaimed later, while getting compliments on her wrist action.

Following that, there was a cooking segment involving fruit smoothies and waffles and a quick fashion show featuring goose-pimply models wearing Shania-inspired outfits.

"I might steal some of them," quipped an admiring Twain. "I love them all. They are all beautiful. I'd wear all of them."

For their part, Thomson and O'Regan were left in the unusual position of segue-ing between jokey segments with Twain and news updates about the cliffhanger U.S. election. The show also aired a clip from Twain's 1995 appearance on Canada AM and wrapped up with an appearance by shy Canadian Idol winner Kalan Porter who sang his new hit single Awake in a Dream.

Twain fans were encouraged to line up early in the downtown square to catch a glimpse of her. Some camped out for hours in the rain on the weekend to secure wristbands for the post-broadcast autograph-singing session at a nearby record store.

"She means the world, she's very inspiring," said Tara Kitts of Toronto, thrilled to get her hat autographed. "It's a total rags-to-riches story. I mean from Timmins to Switzerland, it's amazing and she's the best-selling female artist of all time."

Three young people from Bradford, Ont., were in the front row waving a placard and managed to get Twain's attention for an autograph.

"Like, she's just amazing," said would-be actor Amanda Costa. "Her music's so inspirational and she's from Canada, so it gives us more hope to aspire to be famous like her, too."

Fellow Bradford native Jeff Graham said he's always been a fan of Twain and her music.

"My family's always loved her and she just makes us kinda proud to be Canadian because she's a big star, and she's beautiful, gorgeous."

In addition to prize giveaways, a breakfast was made available with the proceeds going to Twain's charity of choice -- Breakfast For Learning -- which supports child nutrition programs across the country.

The Canada AM co-hosting job is one of two appearances Twain has agreed to for CTV.

The network has also secured her for Shania's Homecoming, a prime-time special to be telecast Nov. 29. The last time Twain and CTV collaborated was in 2003 when she hosted the annual Juno Awards in Ottawa.

Shania Twain's Greatest Hits, a CD chronicling 18 of her chart-toppers -- plus three new songs -- will be released Nov. 9 by Universal Music Canada.