View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 12:07 AM

Shania's up! for T.O.

Outdoor TV show draws a crowd
By KEVIN CONNOR
Toronto Sun

Canada's goddess of country kept 'em shivering with delight in the cool morning air yesterday as she floated into Toronto to promote her latest album.

"I have no idea what I'm doing," said a bubbly Twain, who joined Canada AM as a guest host for an outdoor broadcast to promote her latest release, Shania Twain's Greatest Hits, a CD chronicling 18 of her chart-toppers.

Twain, wearing a pink parka and using a matching pink microphone, was still raving about her visit Tuesday to her hometown of Timmins, Ont., where she officially cut the ribbon to a museum dedicated to her career.

"I was just really proud," she said, joking that she "froze my butt off" at the chilly outdoor ceremony.

Toronto Maple Leaf tough guy Tie Domi, former Leaf captain Doug Gilmour and Chris Pronger of the St. Louis Blues joined Twain for an impromptu game of pick-up hockey in the square.

Domi said it was fun to play with Twain and make a pass at her since the NHL was on ice.

Twain said she "loves" hockey but added, "I can't play worth ****."

"That's the goofiest thing I think I've ever done, I'm sure I looked so goofy!" she said after the pick-up game, while getting compliments on her wrist action.

Twain's hockey co-hosts gave her a Leaf sweater with Twain on the back and the number 00.

The show also staged a fashion presentation featuring sexy little outfits inspired by Twain's video costumes.

"I love them. I'd wear them all," she said.

Twain answered questions from viewers, including one about her son Eja, whom she described as a "fun little guy."

She said it freaks her out when she meets babies and even 10-year-old girls named after her.

In addition to prize giveaways, a breakfast was made available with the proceeds going to Twain's favourite charity -- Breakfast For Learning -- which supports child nutrition programs across the country. About 800 fans turned out to see Twain.

She gets 'em good

When Shania Twain penned her hit song Come On Over she probably had no idea the lengths some fans would travel to see her in the flesh.

Lorraine Watson flew to Toronto from her home in London, England on Saturday to line up for a wristband to get an autograph from the superstar yesterday at HMV on Yonge St.

"After I got the wristband for Toronto, I took the bus to Timmins so I could see her (officially) open the Shania Twain Centre (on Tuesday). I got a wristband to get an autograph in Timmins as well," said superfan Watson.

Karin McArthur, of Windsor, arrived at Dundas Square at 3 a.m. yesterday to get a good spot to see Twain, when she appeared on a Canada AM outdoor broadcast at 8 a.m.

"I just love her music. It's so original and it comes from her heart," McArthur said.

Meeting Twain is the opportunity of a lifetime, said Trish Cross, while waiting to get an autograph and spend a few seconds with Twain at HMV. "Her music lifts me up and makes me feel good," Cross said.
http://www.canoe.com/JamCountryTwai..._twain-sun.html