View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 PM

Miles For Meals-Runnin' Down The Hunger

I'm sure alot of you saw the recent interview in which Shania indicated she is a power walker. Running and walking (power or otherwise) for exercise and for charity has seen a resurgence in this country in the last few years. I have been running seriously for the last year or so and have competed in 4 marathons over that time. I love the challenge and the committment that endurance running entails and I highly recommend it to everyone with any interest in it. The reason for this post though is this. Over the last year of running marathons I have seen many folks in the race, either running the distance or walking the distance, who are doing the race in a manner as to benefit some "charity". Be it for "breast cancer", or "leukemia", or some other well deserving goal. It got me thinking about starting a group or club of runners/walker who are willing to do their thing to put in some "Miles For Meals" and work toward "Runnin' Down The Hunger" of all kinds. One part of the running/walking club that I'd like to see considered and perhaps supported by this site would be a wing that works toward ending childhood hunger. I think funds raised toward this end could easily be funneled toward the charities supported by Shania Twain per this issue that we all have become so familiar with and that we individually and as a group have supported. I have superficially addressed this with Spock and he seemed interested in the possibilities. I have not carried this plan down to specifics to this point but have a lot of thoughts as to how it could be done effectively and to a great benefit toward helping to end childhood hunger. I am posting this first of all to see how many folks on this site would be interested in running/walking for such a benefit in the future, if any of you had suggestions as to how this could be developed in a way so as to directly support Shania's charity interests without making illegal or unreasoneable use of her name in the attempt, if any of you had ideas as to a name for this wing- "Bless The Child" is obvious to me but again it may cross some invisible line re: Shania, and finally if any of you had any other thoughts or suggestion that might help this come together in a good way. If you have any thoughts please feel free to post them here but if you would like to email me at NCMC@MSN.COM please feel free. Thanks-DOC
A never-ending song of love and the reason for your rhyme.

Thanks-ST