View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 11:06 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

I go with my dad to what is called "Senior Spectrum". They provide meals during the week. Since my mom died, Dad has had a hard time getting "the meals like your mother made" as he says. So, he goes there nearly every day during the week. I'm glad because he gets one square each day and at 84 that is probably all he needs since he eats his oatmeal for breakfast and has a light supper of fruit and toast.

Anyway, we met this guy at the Senior Spectrum the other day named Austin. He is probably in his 70's and he had a Nashville tee on. So we asked if he had been to Nashville recently. He said no, but he had spent a lot of time there back when country music was big. I didn't realize it isn't still. So, then he and dad talked about how they don't like today's country music, etc. Then this Austin mentioned seeing Willie Nelson recently, but I didn't catch where. But he said Willie sang very little and talked his way through most of the songs and that people kept getting up and leaving. I think that's sad. Here is a guy who has been a pioneer and a huge star of country music and now he is just a shell of his former self. Of course in his defense he is 73 I think now, so obviously he can't sing the way he did years ago, but to have the crowd get up and leave is sad. I saw this guy live 3 times with my dad some years ago. It was the best show for the money I've ever been to. Back then when you went to see Willie, he came out and played 3+ hours non-stop with no opening act. I call that getting your money's worth. When we went to see Kenny Rogers, e.g., we were lucky to get an hour out of him after his opening act.

So, I'm sorry to hear Willie being this way, but I have noticed it a lot in recent years. Age catches up with us all. If you look at Shania and the other stars at his Birthday show 3 years ago, he was letting them do most of the singing and he was just more or less talking his way through his parts, although his guitar playing is still top notch. I think it is time to throw in the towel, although like all of us, it is hard to bring yourself to do so.

Steve