View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Board Administrator

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003...ain569136.shtml

CBS) Shania Twain has won countless awards and claims the biggest selling female solo album of all time.

It has been five years since her last album, but her latest CD, "Up!," which offers both pop and country versions of the same 19 songs, already has sold 8 million copies.

On Friday, Aug. 1, Shania Twain performed three songs from her latest album, "Up!" and her big hit "Still The One" from her last CD, "Come on Over." The concert was taped and it airs on Wednesday's The Early Show.

Twain traveled a rocky road to stardom. Born Eileen Regina Edwards on Aug. 28, 1965, she was reared in the small rural town of Timmins, Ontario.

Twain learned to play the piano, write music and sing from an early age. She says her parents pushed her as a young girl to perform on stage at local bars, local radio, television stations and community events.

At the age of 21, Twain was then forced to be the guardian of her four younger brothers after her parents died in a car crash. She performed at a resort and bought a house for the family. When her siblings were old enough to care for themselves, Twain decided to pursue her music career.

She was signed to Mercury Nashville and released an album in 1993. But it was her second album that made her a superstar. "The Woman In Me" was made available to the public in the spring of 1995 and included "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?," "Any Man of Mine," "(If You're Not In It for Love) I'm Outta Here!," and "No One Needs to Know." The CD sold over 6 million copies.

After a whirlwind ride to the top, Twain took a break to start a family with her husband/producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange. During that time, Twain says, she found the inspiration to write, "Up!"

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain