View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

Concert Review

May 14, 2004

Superstar Twain and a super show

By Roger Lilly
For The Charleston Gazette

The Charleston Civic Center Coliseum opened its doors to Shania Twain and Emerson Drive Thursday night and together they plowed a path that will be remembered for quite some time.

The circular stage was beautifully set and expertly utilized to allow the near-capacity crowd an opportunity to experience a show that was superb in production and delivery.

The Canadian band Emerson Drive started off with a nine-song set that was awesome to the Nth. They seemed determined to stretch tight the fine line that separates country from rock ‘n’ roll, which might explain powerful covers of U2 songs, Led Zeppelin riffs and a protracted romp and stomp version of the classic Nitty Gritty nugget, “Fishin’ In The Dark.”

Their huge hit, “I Should Be Sleeping” seemed to be half a step behind itself but they atoned with excellent versions of “You’re Like Coming Home,” “November,” “Fall Into Me” and their current chart-climber, “Last One Standing.”

Finishing up their set with “The Devil Went Down To Georgia” gave fiddler David Pichette a chance to show his very impressive chops. This is a band that I definitely haven’t heard enough or the last of.

After an extended intermission, Shania Twain finally made her way to the stage, starting off with “Man! I Feel Like A Woman!” followed closely by “Up” and “Honey, I’m Home.” The show was definitely on.

Hailing from Canada and spending the last few years living in Europe has denied Twain the opportunity to learn the subtleties and nuances of American country music. Good. I, for one, hope she never does. Her brand of country comes with a healthy portion of step and pop and swagger. Twain refuses to flirt with that line separating country and rock. She chooses to straddle it.

Twain gets points taken off for doing the dreaded medley and for encouraging the equally dreaded sing-along, but everything else was aces high.

The sound was awesome as always with a crowded house to bounce off of and the lighting was as good as I’ve seen it for quite some time. The impressive circular stage was almost more enjoyable from the crow’s nest than it was from courtside. And the many pyrotechnics were, if there is such a thing, tasteful. It all added together into a whole that was much greater than the sum of its parts.

On her last visit to town in October of ‘98, Twain didn’t seem quite comfortable with her superstar status. Now she wears it well, showing her growth as a performer.

She sang “The Woman In Me” from a seat in the audience and encored out with “Any Man Of Mine.” Everything before and between was excellently done.

Which brings up the inevitable final question, is it country or is it rock? When it’s this good, who cares what it’s called.

Roger Lilly can be reached

by e-mail at criticalmuss@yahoo.com
-----------------------------------
http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Reviews/2004051326
------------------------------------

- Tommy