View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 08:28 PM

Canada's Success at these Winter Games

Canada as a team posted their best showing at a Winter Olympic Games with 24 medals (good for 3rd place behind Germany - 29 and USA - 25) which was 7 more than their Salt Lake City haul of 17 medals. However, Canada led the Games in these statistics:

1) My former hometown Winnipeg's Cindy Klassen - Speedskater - won the most medals at these games with 5 (1 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze) prompting International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge to say "To see Cindy Klassen win five medals, she was definitely the woman of the Games". Jacques, I would have said the Olympian of the Games. Add the bronze she got from the 2002 Games and she is the most decorated Canadian Olympian in either Summer or Winter Games.

2) Canada's 24 medals came in 10 different sports - more diverse success than any other country. For example, Germany's 29 medals came from 7 sports. This one is even more remarkable for Canada in that 12 of their medals came from 1 sport and the other 12 medals came from 9 other sports.

3) Canada led the Games in placing 4th in events with 13 - perhaps a dubious distinction but one that augers well for the 2010 Vancouver and Whistler podiums.

2010 Vancouver - Whistler: If you can make it - Be There - it will be a blast. I am already making plans to take 2 weeks off to be there - it is so beautiful.