View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 10:35 AM

Thanks for responding. You know you can do basically anything with a club like this that you want. Certainly the club itself can develope a walk or run at any event such as the Fan Convention but it would need alot of cooperation from the local organizations and goverment. That being said, I think the 1st annual Timmins 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon, or Marathon to benefit needy children being tied into the Convention would find alot of support from the folks in Timmins. Running events like this draw alot of folks to the towns for several days around the events so the community benefits. FV, I don't think there is anything as rewarding as finishing a marathon, either by running, walking, or both. There is no question before anyone should attempt to try it though there needs to be a significant period of preparation. No one should do a marathon unless they have been training for at least 6 months. One nice thing a running club like this could do is to become a resource for and supporter of the runners/walkers in the club. I have some great web sites and books that are well worth using to get baseline knowledge. Check out jeffgalloway.com, runnersworld.com for a start and you can't beat "Running For Dummies" as a starter book. Jeff Galloway is a big supporter of the walk/run technique for training and running these events. Remember, any event, be it a 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon, or a Marathon can be used to raise money for charity. I would also love, if there is interest, to put together a club running shirt for events to draw attention to the club's purpose and maybe get others to want to join in. Lots of cool stuff you can do with it and I have no question running is on the upswing now and will get more popular over time. The web site ideas are a great Idea if there is enough interest in the club. DOC
A never-ending song of love and the reason for your rhyme.

Thanks-ST