View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Board Administrator

TORONTO -- Shania Twain's having quite a week, even for someone who's sold 65 million albums and is the best-selling female country artist of all-time.

The Timmins-raised singer introduced Martha Stewart to the "Canadian comfort food" poutine on the TV show Martha; presented an award, along with Billy Joel, at the Country Music Association Awards in New York; launched her new perfume, Shania by Stetson, in North America; and will become an Officer of the Order of Canada today at a ceremony at Rideau Hall.

The prestigious event has Twain both bewildered and thrilled.

"It's outrageous," the 40-year-old Twain said yesterday during a 10-minute chat with Sun Media in a Toronto hotel room where she was running an hour late in her hectic interview schedule.

"I guess it's just such a surprise. I wasn't expecting it. That's for amazing philanthropists who dedicate their entire lives to saving countries and things. I'm just a singer, you know what I mean? It's just kind of weird."

FIGHTS CHILD HUNGER

Twain, who struggled through dirt-poor beginnings in Timmins and often went hungry as a youngster but who now lives extremely well in Switzerland, has long been involved in eliminating child hunger through food banks and breakfast programs in schools.

"I didn't really think that many people knew about it, the charity, to be honest," said Twain, who will be joined at the Order of Canada ceremony by her cousin from Timmins, who works for social services.

Others who have made a difference to the country, including former B.C. premier David Barrett and athlete Catriona Le May Doan, will also be invested.

"I promote the charity in concerts, but I'm talking more to the fans. Obviously, I'm trying to build awareness, but it's personal. And I use music, I exploit that, in a sense, to promote the charity. I just didn't see that as something worthy of this honour but, anyway, I'm so thrilled. I'm honoured."

Twain, who isn't prone to emotions, broke into tears earlier in the day on CITY-TV's CityLine with Marilyn Dennis while talking about growing up disadvantaged, ashamed and nervous.

"I prayed so much when I was a kid," she said on the show. "I just wanted to be swept away. I wanted music to take me away. I wanted music to adopt me and take me away from all that hell. I'm getting emotional. Let's move on!"

Some of those difficult experiences were recounted in the recent CBC-TV movie, Shania: A Life In Eight Albums, that aired in Canada less than two weeks ago.

HASN'T SEEN FILM

But Twain, who had no involvement in the biopic of her early life, has yet to see it.

"I don't think I will," she said. "I have a couple of friends that saw it. I don't want to offend anybody, but there were things that just weren't true. So it was kind of funny, but not overly offensive. They weren't out to hurt me or anybody, that was evident, and I appreciated that. But of course, they're not going to get all the facts straight unless they're coming from me."

Still to come? Next Thursday, Twain will appear on NBC-TV's The Apprentice, where Donald Trump's job candidates will compete to market Shania by Stetson.

"I'm their task. Marketing me is their task," said Twain, who spent a day on The Apprentice set.

So far, the only new music that Twain has released this year was the single, Shoes, from the soundtrack for the ABC hit series Desperate Housewives.

"They requested it, so I did it especially for that, but it's not because I'm putting out a record," said Twain. "It's cool. I heard the original song and I thought, 'This is up my alley so why not do it?' "

Twain doesn't know when she'll be releasing a new album, but there will be one.

"Of course, I'll be back in the studio. I'm writing."

MADE TO ORDER

Shania Twain will receive the Order of Canada today:

- The Order of Canada was established in 1967 to recognize outstanding achievement and service in various fields of human endeavour. It is Canada's highest honour for lifetime achievement.

- Three different levels of membership -- Companion, Officer and Member -- honour people whose accomplishments vary in degree and scope.

- Appointments are made on the recommendation of an advisory council, chaired by the chief justice of Canada. The governor general is the Chancellor and Principal Companion of the Order.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/Nationa...311891-sun.html

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain