Thread: Calgary reviews
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 03:19 AM

Calgary reviews

Up!wardly mobile

Shania Twain fans describe their idol at 'Dome concert

By ANIKA VAN WYK, Showbiz Editor

Shania Twain is not just another pretty face to her fans. Last night Twain, who last played here in December, returned to the Saddledome to promote her album Up!

There were a lot of things about the Canadian superstar the predominantly female fans -- many in their pre-teens -- were 'up' about.

"She's gorgeous and she has a beautiful voice," said Natalie Mehew, 24, who drove up from Lethbridge with her friend Linda Hay.

"We sang the whole way up here," added Hay, 22. "I've loved her from the beginning. It's her attitude -- she's a strong woman who gives it her all."

Other fans drove even further for the chance to see Twain live.

"We drove like six or seven hours," said Kabri Emerson, 11, from Butte, Mont. "I like that she's carefree. She wears what she wants -- I'm not a big girly-girl."

Her sister, Rashae, 9, quickly admitted to being a girly-girl and jumped in: "We like her because she's pretty and she sings good."

Their younger cousins Wesley and Seth Erickson were more emotionally attached: "I love her, I really do love her," said Seth, 5.

Calgarian Marvin Marion, 28, feels Twain's success can be attributed to the fact she's a beautiful woman, inside and out.

"From the first time (I saw the Any Man of Mine video), I've loved her voice and her attitude. She's a strong woman who speaks out, and she does what she wants, no matter what," said Marion. "And I like the way she interacts with the kids."

And while some mothers at the 'Dome admitted they wouldn't let their daughters dress like Twain, most thought she was a good influence.

Allana White and her daughter Meghan, 9, flew in from Chilliwack, B.C., just for the show. "I jumped around the whole house," said Meghan about getting the tickets for Christmas.

Her mom is also a fan and didn't mind accompanying her daughter. "I think she's a great role model. She's made it through some tough times and is still successful. And I think that's great for kids to see."

Brenda and Jack Sieb even chose last night's show to be their three-year-old daughter Amanda's first concert.

"She's a huge fan and can sing all the songs," says Brenda. Then Jack adds: "She's constantly singing them, and it drives me nuts."
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Calga.../15/499858.html