Thread: Denver concert
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 04:09 AM

In country and pop, Shania's where the Twain shall meet

By Jay Dedrick, Rocky Mountain News
December 2, 2003

Shania Twain is a people-pleaser. It shows in her record sales - nearly 40 million in the United States in less than a decade. It shows in her music - last year's Up! came packaged with country and pop mixes of all the songs, and a third world-beat mix went out to the rest of the planet.

Onstage, though, she's required to get off the fence, and she lands on the pop side with a sonic boom. Twain's sold-out concert Monday at the Pepsi Center was big on arena-rock beats and light on fiddles and pedal steel. She'll never be mistaken for the fourth Dixie Chick.

Like the Chicks, though, she brought glamour and stage appeal by the truckload. You still can't obscure the cover-girl looks that have made her a pervasive pin-up.

She took to the in-the-round stage in Clinton Portis' No. 26 (retailers, adjust your orders accordingly), accessorized with rhinestone bracelets and choker, and offered her keynote address to Twain Nation, Man! I Feel Like a Woman!

Twain played the perky, polite hostess of a karaoke party - bringing grade-school-age girls onstage to join in singalongs, sharing the microphone with fans in the crowd, even signing autographs midsong for the folks in the front row, never missing a note.

Her nine-piece band built a sound as slick as the recordings she made with her husband, onetime metal master "Mutt" Lange. Inevitably, she's applied his influence to the stage, putting on a tightly choreographed, fireworks-packed show .

The songs were equally derivative: Was that Warrant's Cherry Pie or Twain's Honey I'm Home?
If you mistook C'est La Vie for ABBA's Dancing Queen, you weren't alone.

Relatively pure country got a fair shake, too: Any Man of Mine, an encore during the two-hour set, was a twang-driven highlight, as was an acoustic take on The Woman in Me, when Twain ventured into the Pepsi Center's lower deck.

The cute kid shtick started out sweet but grew cloying; by the time Twain welcomed the drum line from Cherry Creek High School for (If You're Not in It For Love) I'm Outta Here!, scattered boos rose from the crowd.

But when the confetti shower fell during the show-closing Rock This Country, and her smile flashed on the video screens, all was forgiven.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/dr...2471505,00.html

---------------------

two great reviews against one less good = another great concert with full stadium!