View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirppu
I noticed it right off and thought it was obvious she meant son, just getting ahead of what she was going to say next, not confusing the two.

I noticed it too. Kinda guessed she meant 'son', but then I got confused about her using son and mom in same resulting sentence.

Then I realized she was doing something I recognized, during nearly that whole interview. That "something" is not what I usually see from Shania. She's usually so well composed and so well spoken. I guess it depends on the situation and the interviewer.

I was actually kinda happy to see her rushing her words, for a change, and having some mild difficulty fitting her words to her thoughts. She's human, just like the rest of us.

But the fact that what she said was so spontaneous, almost pre-awareness words, helps show her honesty. There's a consistency there, which continues to show unusually high credibility.

Part of what happened to her, was that she was trying to give answers at a speed convenient to her interviewer and listeners, even if it meant being inconvenient to herself. As Tracy said from their behind the scenes tour at the STC a couple yrs ago, she tries too hard to please, sometimes.

It happens to me sometimes when I'm talking to my mom. She'll try to finish my sentences for me, and get it all wrong, even though she's just trying to be helpful. That makes me rush what I'm saying so I can finish before getting interrupted or cut off. And the more I rush, the more I have to correct myself as I go along, and my mom tries to correct before I do. It gets really circular, til I tell her to stop doing that, and wait til I'm done with my sentence.

With most other people, I can talk reasonably well. Especially if they're intelligent and respectful. However adversarial job interviews have occasionally made me a bit tongue-tied. So can the pressure of 6 second sound bytes for TV. I know what Shania meant by brain-freeze, though I don't remember hearing that word for it before. I've been on TV in the remote past, and had no real problems with brain freeze or getting tongue tied. But it was about topics on which I was confident and the most knowledgeable source on site. It's quite different to be put on the spot, in public, with semi-soul searching questions about what I've been doing, why and how, etc. like Shania was in the interview part of this thread.

This has been an interesting thread. Even just reading it weeks after the fact, I can see how excited many of you got with the expectation, build up and then the actual event.