View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 07:09 PM

Philadelphia Concert Review

I had the opportunity to attend Shania's concert in Philly on Oct. 10th. Traveling 120 miles from central PA we arrived early and found people tailgaiting in the parking lot. Everyone was having a good time with high expectations of what was to follow. There were many different Shania T-shirts visible along with women and girls dressed in outfits Shania had previously worn either in concert or in video. Some of the little girls were real cute while some had cowboy hats.

When inside, the joint was packed. Our seats were rather high but the view was good. It appeared that every ticket was sold and every seat was filled. Prior to her appearance, the lights went down and the crowd began to go wild when a voice from nowhere says "Are You Ready Philadelphia ?". The arena erupts with deafening noise. Again it is heard "I said, Are You Ready Philadelphia ?". Shania then appears and begins singing 'Man, I Feel Like A Woman'.

Shania then proceeded to sing for 2 hours and 15 minutes. She sang all of the old music along with some of the best from her new album. There were 24 songs, 28 with the medley. Just like the network specials, the crowd was singing along with every word.

It was a round center stage with a platform in the middle allowing for a lot of freedom of movement for Shania and her band. The lighting and video were unbelievable and there was a little pyro for some special effects. I enjoy the way the band performs with such high energy and also the way they dress (drummer wearing the goggles and a hockey jersey). Shania was all over the stage all night long with the usual crowd interaction and energy, pausing several times to speak with the audience about recent experiences, her favorite charities, and a small bit about her son. As usual she invited 2 small girls (ages 8 and 9) to the stage where they sang one of her songs. She followed by singing Happy Birthday to the one girl. Later she invited a teenage boy to the stage to dance and help her sing "Don't Be Stupid". She gave him the microphone for a verse of the song and he knew every word. The crowd went nuts. Shania wore three outfits with one showing the customary trademark midriff and naval while another was an Eagles football jersey. When appearing wearing the football jersey, again the crowd went nuts.

Prior to attending the concert, I had read reviews of previous concerts on this tour leg to get fan's impressions and to see what to expect. Those writing reviews were really impressed and I agree. I was eagerly anticipating the show and was not disappointed. I really had a good time and can't wait to go again. If you have questions or would like more info concerning this concert email me at racecars@epix.net.

Bryan, Carlisle, PA