Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[] Latest Shania News!
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Shania Twain Centre
[] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Tour: Summer 2015
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-30-2003, 12:08 AM
Banned

Kansas City, MO concert

Post reviews and pics here.

- Tommy
Old 12-01-2003, 02:39 AM

Twain serves country on the rocks

By TIMOTHY FINN
The Kansas City Star

The country singer who got infamous several years ago for baring her toned tummy may be more modest these days -- she's a mother, after all -- but she still knows how to turn on a crowd with her sense of fashion.

Shania Twain, persona non grata in these parts for more than four years, came back to Kansas City for a show at Kemper Arena on Saturday night -- her first show here since the summer of 1999. Back then she favored tank tops and tight pants and platform sneakers. This time, she wore something seasonal: She took the stage nearly swimming in a red Chiefs jersey. And not just any Chiefs jersey. She picked No. 82, as in Dante Hall.

Twain, a record-breaker herself, is out touring on last year's "Up!" album, which came packaged as two versions of the same record: a country version and a pop/rock version -- her way of playing to both parts of her audience.

Granted, Twain still gets played on Country Music Television and her CDs remain sentenced to the country section of record stores, but -- at least in concert -- she has shed nearly all of her country accents and garnish. These days, she sounds even more like a heavy pop/rock act. Several times during Saturday's show you could hear strains of Def Leppard, a pop-metal band her husband, produce Mutt Lange, helped make famous.

Twain and her manic nine-piece band opened Saturday's show with "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" the first cut off "Come On Over," her biggest album. Her song titles have always bore an odd fetish for the exclamation point; that's her favorite punctuation in concert, too. Saturday's show was a circus of exclamatory sounds and visuals: fireworks, flashpots, videos, smoke, fog, streamers, confetti.

The stage was a round set in the middle of the Kemper floor. At the center was a platform with a trap door, where Twain appeared and disappeared several times. Two walkways at opposite sides of the platform led down to the walkway that circled the entire stage. Twain and her band kept busy all night -- nearly two hours -- running laps around the stage, making sure they played to all four sides of the arena.

Twain's music is still as catchy as anything out there -- a barrage of melodies, hooks, riffs, bridges and shiny singalong choruses. (And three major-label albums into her career, she's finally starting to repeat herself.) Chalk it up to motherhood, the time off or both, but her voice seems to have lost some of its range (it got stronger as the show wore on), and she's even less of a "`dancer" than ever.

Nevertheless she easily commanded the large crowd, for a few reasons. One, she sings songs about power and positive images for women (and girls). During "She's Not Just A Pretty Face," the video screens showed images of women in various roles -- an astronaut, a judge, a pilot. Second, she deploys a brigade of over-caffeinated musicians who play each song like it's the first (or last) time they're playing it.

Third, she never fails to reach out and connect with her audience. Twain signed autographs and collected gifts all night. With a raffle, she brought up four persons who had donated to a local food bank and gave them their prize: an on-stage photo. She also posed on stage for a picture with a 4-year-old girl dressed in a cherry red cowboy hat, and she sat among the crowd in the north end for a very unplugged version of "Woman In Me (Needs the Man In You)."

The other highlights tended to be the older, more raucous material, like "(If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!" "Honey, I'm Home" and "Love Gets Me Every Time."

She ended the show explosively -- amid a hailstorm of fireworks, confetti and streamers (and dressed in a Royals jersey). After rocking the place gently with the pop ballad "You're Still The One," she unloaded two heavy punches: "Any Man of Mine" and "Rock This Country!" her thunder-and-brimstone way of telling Nashville she'll serve her music anyway she wants to. Exclamation point, end of sentence.

The Setlist

Man! I Feel Like A Woman!; Up!; Honey, I'm Home; C'est La Vie; Love Gets Me Every Time; She's Not Just a Pretty Face; Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You); When You Kiss Me; Forever and For Always; Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under; From This Moment On; What A Way To Wanna Be!; Medley: When, You Win My Love, Come On Over, I'm Holdin' On To Love; Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You); That Don't Impress Me Much; I'm Gonna Getcha Good!; In My Car (I'll Be The Driver); (If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here! Encores: You're Still The One, Any Man of Mine; Rock This Country
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansa...ent/7379107.htm
Old 12-01-2003, 05:45 AM
Board Administrator

She was always modest, even before becoming a mom

She never danced on stage, ever

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 12-01-2003 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:48 AM
Board Administrator

She ended the show explosively -- amid a hailstorm of fireworks, confetti and streamers (and dressed in a Royals jersey). After rocking the place gently with the pop ballad "You're Still The One," she unloaded two heavy punches: "Any Man of Mine" and "Rock This Country!" her thunder-and-brimstone way of telling Nashville she'll serve her music anyway she wants to. Exclamation point, end of sentence.

-Chris

Old 12-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Finally a decent review..the person paid attention to the concert!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 PM

KC Concert Observations

Greetings to all: I am a new poster to this board, however I have been reading this board on and off for years as I have been die-hard Shania fan since 1995. I usually link here from shaniatwaincity where I get my daily dose of Shania news and appearance updates. Now on to the show.

I purchased tickets through the online fan club within seconds the link became available: floor section F (does this mean "fanclub"?) row five, seats 7-10. We arrived before doors opened and were about 20th in line to enter. I took a Kodak disposable camera as I wasn't sure how tight security was going to be and didn't want to be hassled. As it turns out I probably could have taken my small Minolta or Canon 35mm zoom cameras and gotten much better pics. Oh well. The most interesting sight pre-show was watching the eight or so follow spot operator guys climb up rope ladders to the top of the overhead lighting rig and carefully crawl into the little seats they had to stay in for the duration of the show. It appeared the arena was almost filled but there were eight empty seats in the row in front of us.

Emerson Drive opened with about 6-7 song set. I can't say I am a fan of ED or even that familiar with them but they did a great job with a very tight performance which was well received by the audience.

Shania's band entered in pairs at the second level on all sides of the arena, spotlights following as the made their way to stage. Our seats were on the end of the stage where we had a great view of JD crankin away on drums all night!! Then Shania took the stage with a blast of pyrotechnics and great reception-she looked fantastic as always!! She was wearing a KC Chiefs jersey and when she mentioned it between songs half the audience reacted with some cheers but overwhelmingly there were strong sustained boos!? I'm thinking what's up with that? Shania responded by laughing and said something like "You're all mixed up together". I felt somewhat embarrassed by the crowds reaction as I don't feel Shania ever deserves any "boos" no matter what the circumstance. She didn't let it phase her and went on with the show.

Now I love Shania's music and play it everyday at work (I do mean EVERY day) but the sound volumn of her concert was set at ear bleeding level where I was sitting. Don't get me wrong, I like loud music as much as any body else. I have been a diehard ELP, Jethro Tull, Steppenwolf and Hendrix fan since the 60s (opps, my age is showing). I have mixed sound for bands, played keyboard in bands and now I do some location recording from time to time so I do have some qualifications for this observation. I wish I would have had my decible meter with me as I am sure they were pushing 115-120+ db range. When you run sound levels this high you loose most of the fidelity of the music and much of Shania's usual subtle vocal inflections and tones were lost in the wall of noise. At several times it almost sounded like she was loosing her voice, straining to sing. Several times I was literally scared for her and had concerns she had been pushing her voice too hard with this concert tour. I started to wonder whether or not she would make it all the way through the concert. There were a number of times her pitch was noticibly flat, I mean way flat. My experience as a sound mixer is if a singer as good as Shania is flat it's because she can't hear herself. They must have made some kind of adjustment because she did seem to improve and push her voice harder as the concert progressed.
My worries for her dissappeared as her voice improved.

Please do not take any of this as a critique, it is not meant to be. These are just my observations. I attended Shania's concert here (KC) in '98 and I loved this concert in the round even more. Did I get my $400 bucks worth? Absolutely!! I only wish I had the time and money to follow her tour around the country.

I will post more KC concert pics as I get them formatted in the next couple of days. Cheers to all!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bishop0-r1-038-17a.jpg (84.3 KB, 222 views)
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Board Administrator

HI1 welcome to the board, great review!!

I thought it was interesting watching them climbing up the ropes, no way would I want to do that.

If you have more pictures, I would love to post them on my site with the rest of the pictures people have been sending me.

-Chris

Old 12-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the messageboard mbistudios! Great detailed review of the show: THANKS! I have heard another couple of people talking about the volume of the music...At the Boston concert I went to I was sitting along the long side of the oval and had no problems myself..but maybe it has to do with the specific location of the seats and the arena acustics? I noticed that the speakers are way UP! at the top of the stage I wondered how that affects the sound...Thanks for all the details on the sound, I love to hear technical stuff from someone who knows it!
Looking forward to the other photos!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Board Administrator

I know there was a huge difference in sound between the Continental Arena in NJ, and the LI and MSG shows. In NJ, the arena was more square inside, while LI, and MSG were round. It sounded better in the round arenas.

-Chris

Old 12-01-2003, 10:29 PM

Welcome, and thanks for the sound explanation.
My guess is, this can change from arena to arena and sector to sector. But hopefully, she won't have to compete the volume too much.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:31 PM
shania fan

Send a message via Yahoo to stwainfan
Re: KC Concert Observations

Quote:
Originally posted by mbistudios
Greetings to all: I am a new poster to this board, however I have been reading this board on and off for years as I have been die-hard Shania fan since 1995. I usually link here from shaniatwaincity where I get my daily dose of Shania news and appearance updates. Now on to the show.

I purchased tickets through the online fan club within seconds the link became available: floor section F (does this mean "fanclub"?) row five, seats 7-10. We arrived before doors opened and were about 20th in line to enter. I took a Kodak disposable camera as I wasn't sure how tight security was going to be and didn't want to be hassled. As it turns out I probably could have taken my small Minolta or Canon 35mm zoom cameras and gotten much better pics. Oh well. The most interesting sight pre-show was watching the eight or so follow spot operator guys climb up rope ladders to the top of the overhead lighting rig and carefully crawl into the little seats they had to stay in for the duration of the show. It appeared the arena was almost filled but there were eight empty seats in the row in front of us.

Emerson Drive opened with about 6-7 song set. I can't say I am a fan of ED or even that familiar with them but they did a great job with a very tight performance which was well received by the audience.

Shania's band entered in pairs at the second level on all sides of the arena, spotlights following as the made their way to stage. Our seats were on the end of the stage where we had a great view of JD crankin away on drums all night!! Then Shania took the stage with a blast of pyrotechnics and great reception-she looked fantastic as always!! She was wearing a KC Chiefs jersey and when she mentioned it between songs half the audience reacted with some cheers but overwhelmingly there were strong sustained boos!? I'm thinking what's up with that? Shania responded by laughing and said something like "You're all mixed up together". I felt somewhat embarrassed by the crowds reaction as I don't feel Shania ever deserves any "boos" no matter what the circumstance. She didn't let it phase her and went on with the show.

Now I love Shania's music and play it everyday at work (I do mean EVERY day) but the sound volumn of her concert was set at ear bleeding level where I was sitting. Don't get me wrong, I like loud music as much as any body else. I have been a diehard ELP, Jethro Tull, Steppenwolf and Hendrix fan since the 60s (opps, my age is showing). I have mixed sound for bands, played keyboard in bands and now I do some location recording from time to time so I do have some qualifications for this observation. I wish I would have had my decible meter with me as I am sure they were pushing 115-120+ db range. When you run sound levels this high you loose most of the fidelity of the music and much of Shania's usual subtle vocal inflections and tones were lost in the wall of noise. At several times it almost sounded like she was loosing her voice, straining to sing. Several times I was literally scared for her and had concerns she had been pushing her voice too hard with this concert tour. I started to wonder whether or not she would make it all the way through the concert. There were a number of times her pitch was noticibly flat, I mean way flat. My experience as a sound mixer is if a singer as good as Shania is flat it's because she can't hear herself. They must have made some kind of adjustment because she did seem to improve and push her voice harder as the concert progressed.
My worries for her dissappeared as her voice improved.

Please do not take any of this as a critique, it is not meant to be. These are just my observations. I attended Shania's concert here (KC) in '98 and I loved this concert in the round even more. Did I get my $400 bucks worth? Absolutely!! I only wish I had the time and money to follow her tour around the country.

I will post more KC concert pics as I get them formatted in the next couple of days. Cheers to all!!

welcome
thanks for the review
Old 12-02-2003, 10:55 AM
cross-stitching nut

Welcome to the board!!! Your review was very interesting and informative!

"Find Your Self Esteem And Be Forever Free To Dream" - Shania Twain
Old 12-02-2003, 12:25 PM

More KC pics

Thanks to all for your kind words of welcome.

To add a few more details: We were among the first few fans to be seated on the floor and I witnessed what appeared to be a serious discussion among three fire mashalls and one of the tech crew as they were doing last minute inspections. Based on the look on all their faces as they quickly moved around and under the stage I wondered if there was some snag that would prevent usage of pyrotechnics. They must have worked it all out since their was plenty of fireworks in the show-unfortunately i was unable to capture any on film. I did notice that any time there were pyrotechnics around Shania she barried her chin in her chest which made her hair created a protective cacoon around her face and upper body, not that hair is fireproof, but it does grow back!

The other surprising moment, considering the boos Shania initiated when talking about her Cheifs jersey early in the show, was the completely opposite reaction later in the show during introductions for the band. I don't remember who it was-may have been JD-but after their intro they yelled like "How bout those Cheifs!?" and were met with thunderous cheers, shouts, whistles and applause that roared on for several minutes. Was this the same audience? I might add I could perceive absolutely no reaction when Shania appeared later in a KC Royals jersey. Shania made no mention or reference to it either.

I was pleasantly surprised that security was fairly laid back on the floor as long as you had a floor ticket that is. I easily made my way to the stage 3 times for photo ops and I didn't see any body hassled by security except people trying to get on the floor who did not have a floor ticket. I saw at least 15 people sent away attempting this trick. I know there were at least 15 other cameras used in my immediate section including several digital ones.

Another strange event was a guy who was obviously an Elvis impersonator seated in the row in front of us closer to the stage holding a huge boque of flowers. As a matter of fact I was up at stage taking close up photos of Shania when Elvis shoved his flowers right in front of Shanias face in my shot (I didn't know this until I got the film processed)! I did see Shania had a strange expression on her face as he presented her the flowers.

This pic is just before Elvis ruined my shot! HA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shania kc 010.jpg (97.1 KB, 232 views)
Old 12-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Re: More KC pics

Quote:
Originally posted by mbistudios
I did notice that any time there were pyrotechnics around Shania she barried her chin in her chest which made her hair created a protective cacoon around her face and upper body, not that hair is fireproof, but it does grow back!

LMAO! at Hyde Park the guy in charge of the pyros came out the last 30 minutes of the show when the BIG pyros were supposed to go off...he was standing attached to the stage at the bottom right were Shania was singing to check the positions of the fireworks and the positions of the band members at the same time..as a precaution I think..
Old 12-02-2003, 06:01 PM

Welcome to the boards and I really enjoyed reading your review! When I saw Shania in Milwaukee it was my first time and the people that I went with, we couldn't believe those guys climbing the ropes either to sit under the cameras! I've never seen that before and I hope they get paid real good!

Also love your pics! Can't wait to see more!