Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[] Latest Shania News!
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Shania Twain Centre
[] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Tour: Summer 2015
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 02-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Shania Serves Up a Real Treat

I love the title of this one by Janet Devilin of the Belfast Telegraph! She is really cool in her description of Shania Twain on stage...I simply loved her review...I think this lady understands Shania Twain...

Belfast Telegraph Home > Lifestyle > Music

Shania serves up a real treat

By Janet Devlin
featureseditor@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

20 February 2004
SINGING superstar Shania Twain brought the house down in Belfast last night - and helped needy Ulster children at the same time.

The Canadian, who sang country cool but looked urban chic, belted out the hits that have made her a 10-times platinum album winner three times in a row.

The crowd, which sported more cowboy hats than a Calgary Stampede, roared approval to favourites like Man I Feel Like A Woman, Don't Be Stupid, That Don't Impress Me Much and You're Still The One.

Dressed in black trousers, orange and pink vest top and matching baseball boots, she continued with recent hits from her new album Up, including Getcha Good, Ka-Ching and Forever And For Always.

Shania also offered every one in the audience a chance to join her on stage - by buying a raffle ticket to support Barnardo's. The result was a bucket of money for the local children's charity.

But the highlight of the night, apart from the spectacular finale of Rock This Country, was when a spotlight suddenly picked Shania out - singing among the audience in the middle of the auditorium.

The rest of an excellent show was marred only slightly by the large number of fans who swarmed round the stage requesting autographs and handshakes while Shania was performing.

But, a true professional - and probably one of the most accessible superstars ever - she was happy to oblige.

It was the opening concert of a double date for Shania, who revealed that her birth name was Eileen and she actually has some Irish blood in her veins, so if you are going tonight you are in for a real treat.

Back | Return to top | Printable Story

Here is the link:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/l...sp?story=493386

Benjamin
Old 02-21-2004, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Thanks for the review....

Yeah the audiences......I think because the tickets for the front are more pricey that its more "an evening out" for people only half interested, whilst the big fans are scattered around the arenas. It's ridiculous that I feel awkward when I'm standing and I know I'm blocking the person's view behind me and they don't want to get of their toushie!

Maybe they should section the arena so half is standing and half seating so people can see if they want to sit. Dunno!!!

Paul

Paul,

I think your proposed solution is a good one in theory. I honestly do not know if it is feasible for venues to implement though. I wish it were. I've wondered about this occasional conflict in preferred behavior between jumpers and sitters for a long time now. Personally at a Shania concert, I prefer to be on my feet with the jumpers. But not everyone who enjoys live Shania performances at close range, has the ability to stand, jump or dance for two hours plus. Although I would like to preserve the option of jumpers to be spontaneous and enjoy the show in the way that is best for them, I would also like to preserve for sitters, the option to enjoy the show in the way that is best for them. And there's no inalienable right to push sitters to the back seats.

There's a detailed discussion on these Boards about Shania fans with different levels of intensity and corresponding behavior. There's an even greater range of legitimate persons who attend concerts. Their views and expectations sometimes even constitute a majority. There's no legal or moral obligation for them to conform to the views and expectations of the most intense fans.

As a practical matter, it's fair to ask whether some types of concerts are so exciting that most people coming to see it, should be prepared to participate in the customary ways reported in the news and by word of mouth. That seems conceivable for Shania concerts. Yet there are the quieter songs during Shania's concerts. Who's to say who should do what and when? The most intense fans? The majority of persons at a given concert? The venue managers? The performers?

There may be some merit to giving the most intense fans, the most accomodation. And if most people want to be enthusiastic and on their feet, it seems counterproductive for venue managers to tell them all to sit down. But there may be appropriate limits in how far the intense fans should impose their preferences on other concert goers. Failure to acknowledge and accomodate diversity raises the question of intolerance. It's one thing to be intolerant of critics who spew inaccuracies and bias. It's another to be intolerant of the legitimate preferences or needs of other fans and other concert goers.

Overall, it's an interesting puzzle. How do you allow the most creative freedom of enthusiastic expression to some, without limiting the preference, convenience or opportunities of others?

So Paul, thanks for showing the sensitivity to maximize the enjoyment for everyone who goes to ST concerts. I don't think you have solved the problem. But you've shown helpful and considerate perspective, in the way you raised the question.

Bob
Old 02-21-2004, 07:28 AM

I think it is a cultural thing to a degree, and maybe the level of fanship, the crowds and if they are sitting or standing.

I chose floor seats for my concerts, because I've been on tier seats at some concerts, and since I like to be standing and dancing, and most people on tier seats sit, the akward situations arise.

I think some European nations are much more reserved and shy than the Americans, who are more outgoing. I think that could be a part reason also.

And I guess the crowd being active also feeds Shania and the band, I believe they are more energized by a loud, moving crowd. But which is first, the energy from crowd or the performers? lol
Chicken or egg
Old 02-21-2004, 09:22 AM

Kirppu

Shania Twain should clarify that issue after the beginning of one of her songs...What she should say to Europeans since they are not used to standing is to tell them that her concerts are a standing ovation and to not be suprised if all her fans remain standing...Shania Twain could do a lot to clear the air that way...Of course there is the question of the elderly and an area should be reserved especially for them so they can sit and enjoy the concert...But the middle aged and young they have no excuse for themselves if they remain seated when everyone else around them is shouting and singing to Shania Twain choruse"s! Europeans probably think such behavior rude and crude but hey this is a fun concert not a sit in...What can I say...I can imagine Shania Twain's chagrin at people remaining seated inspite her best efforts...The French are even worse about it, I hear from my sister Ann Margaret who visits France...

Sing on Shania Twain...We all here enjoy your music throughly...For those who participate by singing along with Shania Twain get more out of it...That is the way I see it..

Benjamin

Last edited by corran : 02-21-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:50 PM

Group dynamics are an interesting thing. Different people have different preferences, and tend to give higher value to their own preferences than to other people's preferences. So there's a lot of subtle persuasion going on between fans and groups in ST concerts. I saw that in Chicago outdoors. Sometmies it's not so subtle.

Given the relative homogeneity of the crowd, the good mood and anticipattion of a great and possibly magical concert experience, most people tend to be flexible and adapt. But rest assured, there are discomforts in fan interaction that range from very light to very heavy in their impact.

There are also other issues that have impact on the success of a concert, outside of just the fan to fan interaction. Those include interactions with the star, the band, the support crew, their equipment, the weather, the location, the facilities, the security and culture, to name just some. It's an experience that is larger than life for most concert goers. And it's one of the reasons I'm still thinking about it, to understand more of it so I can finish the 2nd part of my story about the Chicago outdoor concert.

Bob
Old 02-21-2004, 01:17 PM

I know someone who work's at SECC in Glasgow, and have told me this is a major problem for them and security, you got fan's who want to stand, fan's who want to sit. What do you do if you are standing and person behind keep's poking at your back to sit, and the person in front of you is standing. I witnesed this recently at a Dixie Chicks concert and it nearly came to blows. Differance with Kilkenny and Hyde Park they were open air concert's, so everbody was standing anyway. One of the way's to solve it might be to put on ticket's that most fan's on floor will be standing, or as some stated get the artist to say ON YOUR FEET. Or make half arena for standing and the other half for sitter's.I'm going to SECC tomorrow hope they'll all be standing. CHEER'S
Old 02-21-2004, 02:18 PM

Thanks Scotty, for helping to document the problem, and improve the focus to possible solutions.

Bob
Old 02-22-2004, 04:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to chicker
Pix from Belfast Telegraph
Make all our hearts blind to colors
Old 02-22-2004, 04:10 AM

Irish News
20th Feb 2004

Canadina superstar Shania Twain amde country cool in Belfast last night when she rocked thousands of fans at the Odyssey Arena.

The singer raised th roof in her firstever appearance in Northern Ireland, in the first of two dates as part of her Up! World Tour.

Both concerts sold out in a recordbreaking 25 minutes, and Shania definately did not disappoint theloyal fans who had waited so long.

After and enthusiastic warm-up by supporting act Bjorn Again, the QUeen of Country began the show with the hit Man! I Feel Like A Woman, from her nulti-million selling album Come On Over.

This was followed up by a mixture of songs from her new album Up! and previous release The Woman In Me, including the crowd favorites You're Still The One and Honey I'm Home.

Dressed casually in black trousers and an orange top, Shania still looked her very best, refreshed and relaxed from time off afther the birth of her son.

The atmosphere was electric as Shania used the excellent central stage to invite the whole crowd to sing along.

Fans of all ages, many decked out in stetsons and cowboy boots, caught the mood and eagerly joined in.

The finale Rock This Country was nothing short of spectacular, with the singer leaving Belfast in no doubt why she is the most successful female solo recording artist of all time.

Jacqui Canavan
Old 02-22-2004, 04:12 AM

News Letter - 20th Feb

Country Queen Shania Twain took to the stage last night for the first of her two sellout stage shows in the Odyssey Arena, Belfast.

And it wasn't a case of That Dont Impress Me Much for the thousands of fans who filled the arena as the star put on a spectacular show as only the highest-selling female singer of all time could.

Tickets for Shania's two Belfast dates sold out within minutes as her Ulster fans jumped at the chance to see the star perform for the first time in Northern Ireland.

The singer made sure that no-one left the show disappointed as she made her way through hits from her 34-million-selling album Come On Over, such as From This Moment On, Man! I Feel Like A Woman, Dont Be Stupid, That Dont Impress Me Much and You've Got A Way, as well as the more recent hits I'm Gonna Getcha Good, Ka-Ching and Forever and For Always from her recent multi-platinum album, Up!.

Shania's second show at the Odyssey, which is also completely sold out, takes place tonight.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:14 AM

News Letter - Belfast
Feb 21st 2004

Up! The Country legend pleases her audience

Shania Twain apprciates her Ulster Fans. How do we know this?

Not through the tens of millions of albums she has sold, or the fact that 19,000 Ulster people splashed out 42 each to see her live at the Odyssey (that's 798,000 worth of tickets), but because she dedicated the first night of her two concerts here to them.

And for her legion of hardcore fans there - and judging by the behaviour of the crowd at the first night of her two shows - this was probably a dream come true.

For the other thousands of more fairweather fans she was in danger of not impressing us much at all.

For Shania's gig, a specially-constructed stage was erected in the centre of the arena, with no barriers and few security guards.

This invited thousands of her fans (including me) to run to the stage to get up close and personal to the star, getting their programmes and tickets signed while she was singing, or just getting touched by the delicate hands of a country superstar.

As well as this, Shania chatted to the crowd, read out requests and brought no less than five audience members up to the stage throughout the show.

And while it is commendable that the star makes so much time for her fans, she did it partly at the expense of the show.

For the thousands who attended the concert, it was inevitable that they would leave a little disappointed.

A huge part of the show consisted of Shania bending down scribling autographs, meaning that it became more like a huge meet and greet session.

But the problem for the singer was that once she gave a little, the fans wanted a whole lot more.

But when she did perform, she did well.

Singing most of her greatest hits - From This Moment On only warranted a few acapella lines - Shania skipped around the stage, followed by her lively band, and was vocally immaculate.

There were three costume changes with shania opting for the casual look, and her final costume change saw her don a baggy Belfast Giants top.

Highlights included the opening track Man! I Fell Like A Woman, and beautiful versions of You're Still The One and Forever and For Always.

And a mini fireworks display at the end of the show put an exciting end to an evetful night.

For her die-hard fans, this would have been the best night of their lives, but everyone else there, however, a little more performing and and a little les pandering for fans, would have made a good show brilliant.

Oh well, Shania, you cant please everyone.

Jeff Magill

Last edited by Jud : 02-22-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:24 AM

Chicker...

None of the pictures came through...Do you suppose you could send to cbspock the picture clips in those articles...Thanks for posting them they are an interesting read...It does not suprise me that the luke warm types would react in that manner to Shania Twain who has changed her style upon having a child...I suppose it has made her less flashy and showing less skin...But the way she is, is the real Shania Twain Chicker...But I have noticed also that she is a bit more interactive and you are right there is that will have its effect on her performance by detracting from it for some...Hard to say how many, but for me she can do no wrong...I am there to listen to her awesome voice, her wonderous smile, her penetrating gaze and the way she can just suddenly appear amidst the crowd..

Benjamin
Old 02-22-2004, 09:14 AM

HUH, they come up for me. But can send to cbspock too no worries
Old 02-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Board Administrator

I can see them.......

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
This has to be the funniest picture of Shania ever in a newspaper!!!! She looks like a Disney Character.

:LMAO

If you can send these to me, I can clean them up and put them on my site.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 02-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Board Administrator

And for her legion of hardcore fans there - and judging by the behaviour of the crowd at the first night of her two shows - this was probably a dream come true.

For the other thousands of more fairweather fans she was in danger of not impressing us much at all.

I think the Up! Tour is more for her hardcore fans than people just getting to know her.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Post New Thread Reply