Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[] Latest Shania News!
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Shania Twain Centre
[] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Tour: Summer 2015
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 05-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

Fort Wayne, IN concert - May 14, 2004

Posted on Thu, May. 13, 2004

Not just a pretty face
The laid-back, upbeat Shania Twain balances motherhood with superstardom.

By Carol Tannehill
of The News-Sentinel

Shania Twain is one of those women you'd love to hate, but can't.

How dare she parade around the stage wearing neoprene? Why is she always smiling? Sure, she sings about bad hair days and pimples, but have we ever actually seen her endure either? Oh, yeah, and don't forget how capably she manages marriage and motherhood along with the world tours and record deals.

It would be easy to hate her -- if only she weren't so darn likable.

The country-singer-turned-international star brings her upbeat attitude -- and her Up! Tour -- to Memorial Coliseum on Friday for her first Fort Wayne concert.

OK, so she's got red-hot music career and a 46-room chateau in Switzerland, that don't impress her much. Just 17 years ago, at age 21, the Ontario-born singer was struggling to support three teenage siblings after their mother and stepfather were killed in a car crash. She sang for their suppers -- and for their electric bills and mortgage payments, too.

Far from being a diva, grounded superstar Twain chooses jeans and sweaters over couture fashion, hockey games and hiking over club hopping, homemade vegetarian soup and hot chocolate over haute cuisine. And her 500-acre Alpine getaway really is just a place to get away.

"The people there do tend to treat you like you're nothing special. That's exactly what I need when I'm at home," she said in a 2003 interview with Next magazine, a magazine for gay New Yorkers.

Twain, 38, made the same point in a People magazine article the year before: "When people try to treat me like a star, it makes me withdraw. Ten years from now, if I'm still in the limelight, I just can't imagine it."

She gained this renewed sense of perspective after she and her husband, record producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange, escaped the American music scene in 2000 and retreated to quiet Tour-de-Peiz, Switzerland, to recharge, reinvigorate their seven-year-old marriage and write and record music. The results -- in addition to her new attitude -- were son Eja (pronounced "Asia"), now 2, and the 19-song CD Up!, which was released in November 2002.

Twain's long awaited follow-up to 1997's "Come On Over" and 1995's "The Woman in Me," has already yielded some of the hottest singles on country and pop radio -- "I'm Gonna Getcha Good!," "Up!," "She's Not Just a Pretty Face" and "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing" and "Forever and For Always." "Forever," in fact, was honored by fan voters this month as the Flame Worthy Female Video of the Year.

"We wanted to put something together that was bigger and better," Twain said in a media bio, "and the whole thing is so much bigger and better than anything I've done in the past."

Twain and Lange borrowed musical influences from all over the world to create an international album that goes well beyond her country roots. They recorded Indian musicians in Mumbai, India, for example, American musicians in the Caribbean, a 40-piece orchestra in Ireland and other musicians in Italy.

"We literally hopped from city to city songwriting, including Vienna, Paris, Berlin, Milan, Rome, Provence and the Grenadine Islands. This music came together in smaller pieces over a longer period of time," she said.

Twain, in fact, recorded three different versions of "Up!" CD -- a green disc with a decidedly Nashville sound and the red disc in pop style are included in the same package. A blue disc, intended for the international market, blends Latin, Asian and Indian influences.

But Twain also enjoys taking the show -- with family in tow, of course -- on the road.

"I have a lot of fun with the touring, it's the biggest reward. I can see on (the audience members') faces what the songs mean to them," she said.

Fired up!
* What: Shania Twain's Up! Tour

* When: 7:30 p.m. Friday

* Where: Memorial Coliseum, 4000 Parnell Ave.

* Tickets: $46, $66 and $81 at the coliseum ticket office and all

Ticketmaster outlets, at www.ticketmaster.com or by phone at 424-1811.
-------------------------------------------

2004 News Sentinel and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwa...ent/8658470.htm

- Tommy

Last edited by muzikguy94 : 05-13-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
I attended the concert last night in Ft.Wayne and it was Fantastic!!!!

She song list is very similar to the other concerts. Shania was very happy and VERY crowd attentive last night. She interacted alot!!!

I could hear a few times in her voice what others attending recent concerts have reported that her vocal cords are tired. But she still sounded fabulous.

I brought a sign with a picture of Woody Woodpecker again and it said, "Hug # 2, OK with you?" When she saw it the first time she smiled really big and chuckled. Then later in the concert she gave me a wide eyed smile, pointed at
my poster and mouthed the words, "I remember you"......It was soooo awesome. Alas she didn't call me up on stage, but she did give me a couple of high 5's and I got her "Scribble Signature" on the group photo in front of the Shania Twain center during the 2003 convention. When she saw what it was, she studyied it for a few seconds and I could tell it sunk in that she knew what it was. I Also got a "scribble signature" on the poster the fan club sent in the packet last year.

At this concert was the first time that I saw a program, and bought one right away. It is fantastic !!!

Ok her wardrobe for this concert was:
First set: Bright pink pants and yellow top
Second Set: Black cargo pants with a tight red shirt that had black shoulders and a black stripe from her underarm down along both sides
Third set: Local hockey team Jersey. (Komets) and light blue jeans.

So fun moments:
1) One guy had a sign that said, "Can I come up on stage and sing with you". So she called him up and asked what he wanted to sing. He said "Nah!" So they sang it together...She let him do most of the singing and he was off key but he knew the words. It was pretty funny.

2) She called two "Late teen/ early twenties" from the center section, half way up to come down and sing with her..... During the interview with then she started to talk about how they had navel piercing and started to tease Cory Churko saying...Hey you're way over there..(pointing to the other end of the stage)..How did you notice that from way over there...Cory blushed. So Shania continued to talk about their looks and say" Wow! look how tall you are...Much bigger than me, but then most people are....You even have bigger boobs.....Man the crowd really cracked up when she said that.

3) During one of the songs, a mother with a wheelchair bound daughter, rolled the chair near the stage and Shania jumped down off of the stage to the floor and sang to the girl for a while.

4) About 2/3rds into the concert, she was talking to the crowd and suddenly a young girl about 6 or 7 was walking up on the stage toward her....It shocked /suprized Shania but she played along with it and at first shouted "Security"!!!! But then she interviewed the girl and it was really cute.

This was a very good show....Shania was very interactive with the crowd the whole night...Was a fantastic event..... Now Off to Grand Rapids MI for Sunday's show !!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 08:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to chicker
That is an awesome review thank you so much. :cool:

Sounds like was a totally fantastic show - your funny moments are great, especially like the little girl wandering Up! on stage
Make all our hearts blind to colors
Old 05-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Banned

resessions,
Great review! Did you take any pics?

- Tommy
Old 05-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Banned

Shania Look-A-Like Contest

Posted on Thu, May. 13, 2004

And the winner is...
Staff Reports

Whew, this was a toughie. Many of the women who entered The News-Sentinel's Shania Look-Alike Contest could easily fill in for the country beauty should she twist her ankle before Friday's concert. We can't vouch for their singing skills, however.

In the end, Colleen Kobi (below) of Fort Wayne won the prize of a $50 gift certificate to an area salon and beauty store. Auburn's Rachel Brooks was a close second.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwa...ent/8658469.htm

Ugh! I hate these Shania look-a-like contests! The girls NEVER resemble Shania at all!...LOL! They give Shania a bad name (or look)! Man, I'd hate to see the girl who came in a close second!

- Tommy
Old 05-15-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm Havin' A Party!

Send a message via ICQ to Shunyeuh Send a message via AIM to Shunyeuh Send a message via MSN to Shunyeuh Send a message via Yahoo to Shunyeuh
i hate to say it but she dont look like her...

i for one has some of shanias similaritys.. who won a t shirt for the celebrity look a like contest for country weekly in 2000 for fanfair
I Had A Blast Giving Shania The Flowers And Seeing her Reaction! was the best Feeling Ever! Meeting Her Was Awesome! getting the oprah transcript signed was a blast and having her recognize me was cool!
Old 05-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Banned

Concert Review

Posted on Sat, May. 15, 2004

Man! Shania rocked coliseum
Down-to-earth star connected with record number of fans; draw important for the venue.

By Carol Tannehill
of The News-Sentinel

Shania Twain's Up! Tour didn't let anybody down. Not the screaming, singing, clapping, sign-waving, autograph-seeking audience. Not the promoters. And definitely not Memorial Coliseum General Manager Randy Brown.

The Canada-born superstar performed Friday for the largest concert crowd in the history of the coliseum.

"We have no definite numbers yet, but you can quote me on that one -- it's the largest," Brown said afterward. "She even beat George Strait."

Twain wowed the receptive crowd with 1 hours of greatest hits from three albums, a few well-timed costume changes and plenty of warm and fuzzy moments.

"Fantastic! She was just wonderful. We loved it," said Dianne Hansen of Fort Wayne.

Her husband, Vince, said: "She really seems like a nice person, doesn't she?"

Marianna Crowl, 6, was sure she'd love the show even before Twain bounded on the stage. She and her sister, Lauren, 10, were thrilled to learn their father, Jason Crowl, and his fiancee, Lisa Vinson, had bought tickets to the concert. And it was not, as they'd claimed, to the Fort Wayne Gun and Knife Show this weekend at the coliseum.

"We could hardly keep the secret in the car," said Vinson, who is almost as big a fan as Marianna.

The warm reception Twain got could pull more big-name concerts to town, Brown said.

"This is big-city stuff. This is how we bring other great shows to Fort Wayne -- when we show ticket receipts to promoters and they see how well Fort Wayne compares to other cities. This is a regional concert: It drew people from Ohio and South Michigan (as well as Indiana), which is what we like to see," he said.

Twain hit the stage running at 8:30 p.m. after a 30-minute show by fellow Canadians Emerson Drive and 30-minute intermission. She sprinted through the crowd to the opening strains of "Man! I Feel Like a Woman," leaped onto a multilevel oval in the middle of the coliseum floor and strutted up a catwalk to center stage.

Dressed in a fluorescent yellow halter top -- with black bra fashionably exposed -- and a surprisingly sexy pair of baggy pink cargo pants, she kickboxed, jumped and jogged her way through "Up!," "Honey, I'm Home," "Don't Be Stupid" and "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?"

While her band introduced themselves, Twain slipped beneath the stage to slip into something just as comfortable -- a Spandex-saturated pink-and-black shirt and her formal black cargo pants with rhinestone trim. Her final costume change -- into a Fort Wayne Komet jersey and blue jeans -- brought screams from the crowd.

"I love hockey, you know," said Twain, who was raised in Timmins, Ontario.

Except for a few love songs -- "Forever and For Always," "You're Still the One" and "The Woman in Me," which Twain sang from a seat in the audience -- the show rarely slowed. She kept the crowd "worked up," as she called it, with a string of high-energy hits, such as "That Don't Impress Me Much," "Gonna Getcha Good!," "Come on Over" and "Any Man of Mine" punctuated with light effects, pyrotechnics and confetti guns.

Joni Hire of Pierceton was surprised -- and a bit disappointed -- Twain's concert and single encore didn't include two of the hot singles off her latest album -- "She's Not Just a Pretty Face" and "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing."

"That's my favorite," Hire said, waiting in vain for a second encore.

Throughout the show, Twain proved she was down-to-earth by signing autographs, accepting flowers and shaking hands with fans who managed to make it to the edge of the stage. She also sang duets with people plucked from the audience and posed for pictures with winners of a prize-raffle drawing that raised money for Community Harvest Food Bank.

"When I grew up, we were poor and didn't always have food on the table. I don't think anyone should have to go hungry," she said, before drawing out the winning ticket.

"I can't tell you how grateful I am for such a full bucket."
----------------------------------------
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwa...cal/8675641.htm
-----------------------------------------

- Tommy
Old 05-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Great review resessions! get ready fior tomorrow night's concert!!
Old 05-15-2004, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by resessions
I attended the concert last night in Ft.Wayne

I brought a sign with a picture of Woody Woodpecker again and it said, "Hug # 2, OK with you?" When she saw it the first time she smiled really big and chuckled. Then later in the concert she gave me a wide eyed smile, pointed at
my poster and mouthed the words, "I remember you"......It was soooo awesome
Awesome review, thanks very much! Reading this and the article that was posted, gave us a pretty good picture of the concert! Almost like we were there!

Such a great experience for you to be recognized by Shania
Old 05-15-2004, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FV
Great review resessions! get ready fior tomorrow night's concert!!

FV,

Tom and I have spent the day wandering all over Grand Rapids Promoting Shania Twain the the local citizenry. We ran into a lady named Tina at the Grand Rapids Zoo who was really excited about our STC lanyards....spoke with her for ages about the concert tomorrow.....she's excited as are the rest of Grand Rapids, particuylarly now that Tom is in town.

Watch out Grand Rapids!!!! The Bald eagle and shadow are here !!!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 07:04 PM

GREAT REVIEWS....I loved that she yelled SECURITY!!! HAHAHA TO FUNNY, SHANIA IS GREAT!
Old 05-16-2004, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by muzikguy94
resessions,
Great review! Did you take any pics?

- Tommy

Yes. I took a disposable camera with me and to my suprise a few of them turned ok. I have a pretty good one of Shania holding the hand of the guy who wanted to sing with her as she led him up to the top of the stage to sing Nah! Since it was a cheapo camera, the distance it typical with the lens of that type of camera. The Memorial stadium in Ft. Wayne didn't seem to have any restrictions about cameras....There were alot of people with their digital cameras taking shots. The guy sitting next to me had that kind of camera and said he'd e-mail copies to me.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Board Administrator

"We have no definite numbers yet, but you can quote me on that one -- it's the largest," Brown said afterward. "She even beat George Strait."

Looks like she "murdered" his record!

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 05-16-2004, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock

Looks like she "murdered" his record!

-Chris

There were a few empty seats here and there so I don't think it was a sell-out but without question, it was very close to a sell-out and this crowd in Ft. Wayne was very entertained and loved the access Shania gave to them......In future concerts, Shania should work into her venue contracts what Reggie Jackson did in Oakland A's/NY Yankees's trade in the 70's.....Get a residual for additional for revenue gained over the traditional average draw. Reggie made a small fortune doing that.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Board Administrator

Maybe she already has done that.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Post New Thread Reply